Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 06:45 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdhb406 View Post
What is the typical paying jobs down there? Like I said here my husband is a manager and only brings in 500.00 a week. And it just doesn't cut it anymore. Do you know what people make on SSI and SS down there or is it the same everywhere? And in the local newspapers do they have classifieds and what are the names? And no this is my first thread that anyone has responded to.
People typically make between $7 an hour and $500,000 per year depending on qualifications and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:51 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,051,955 times
it sounds like her family would be competing with minimum wage workers. in TX we have added more minimum wage jobs than any other state. retail and fast food is where the numbers are. how easy it is to get a manager position in that? i have no idea.

$500 a month for a house or 3 bedroom apartment is not possible. for that price range you will need to look into housing assistance. as you are the caregiver for two elderly disabled people you *may* get higher up on the list than others.

i would strongly not recommend moving to Texas in your position. keep the house warm and look for assistance in Indiana. or move to another small town with maybe a better economy. your traveling and moving expenses are likely to exceed any realistic pay you will get in the short term here in houston. a possibility is to send your husband by himself to scout for work and just rough it in a bunk house or cheap motel. then send for you when he has something

there is virtually no assistance for families in your position in this state. I've seen a lot of families move from the rust belt and manufacturing states even if they were promised jobs! and they ended up homeless and on the street within a month or two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston