Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2011, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 66,496 times

Advertisements

Hi Experts ;-)

We are relocating in the next few weeks and are deciding to make an offer on a house that is zoned to Fielder Elementary.

In looking at stats the school seems very good. Good scores, nice teacher longevity, and an exemplary rating. However, it has a very high percentage of "economically disadvantaged" and a very high percentage of ESL students. I would like some reassurance that this school is a very good school. (I prefer a diverse school, I grew up outside of Philadelphia and had a great mix of religions, ethnicities, cultures, etc.)

Anyone know anything about Fielder? Also, I've read here that there is a Spanish immersion program. Is this available to all students zoned to Fielder and is it available to transfer students?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 PM

967 posts, read 2,603,990 times
Great school! I believe though the spanish-immersion is available when you start inKinder. Not sure that you can join as a transfer.

The district pulls ESL students from neighboring areas and consolidates them in one school. For example kids in my neighborhood go to Stanley, but if they're needing an ESLprogram they are bussed to Fielder.

Surely that will account for some of the uptick in low income, but let me tell you there are plenty 100k- ionares from Venezuela in S Katy that also send the kids to Fielder.

I'd say great school and you would have nothing to worry about. Great neighborhood too!

Old 11-13-2011, 10:10 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. It is very reassuring for me to hear opinions of people "in the know."

We are really excited about this move and think that our girls (ages 4 & 7) will love growing up in this area.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 AM

171 posts, read 413,496 times
Fielder is visible from my home. It has always been known as a great school within the district. You can't really go wrong going to Fielder in my opinion.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:14 PM

Thank you for your opinion. Now we just have to hope that our offer is accepted :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: