Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:54 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,000,909 times

Advertisements

Sbisd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 07:32 PM

3 posts, read 8,267 times
We did not have good luck with Katy ISD, but I think it really depends on the child and the level of services they need. My son is very high functioning and was mainstreamed; however, we could not reach a compromise with his school to find out why he was shutting down every day in regular class. They would send him to his special ed class instead of trying to figure out what was causing the problem. He went to the same elementary from K-4th, but we are now homeschooling him because he started running away from school and coming home. My other neuro-typical children are doing very well in Katy ISD.

I am currently looking at moving to Spring Branch or Tomball. I have heard they are really upping their services.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:46 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,373,824 times
Sbisd is a smaller, wealthy district that won't be building more schools, just passing bonds to rebuild or refresh schools. Because of this, they have the resources for special programs.

Tomball will be growing and focusing funds into growth v. Special services.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,140 times
Default Buffalo Creek Elementary has fund for Autism kids?

My niece who is autism kid and attends at Buffalo Creek Elementary in Spring Branch ISD. When we asked Buffalo Creek Elem. about IEE (Independent Evaluation Education) to provide more special support for my niece and they refused to help and try to transfer my niece to the other school (still in Spring Branch ISD). My question is how do I find out Buffalo Creek Elem. has fund for Autism kids? I wonder why my niece was ok with Buffalo Creek until we asked for IEE? And they said "Based on Federal and state law that addresses Least Restrictive Environment (LRE), school districts are required to keep students as close to their home as possible". Is it true? and how to find out about this law. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,758,557 times
Has your niece been evaluated by the team at the school? Schools prefer to do their own evaluations rather than have an outside one.

Understanding Special Education Law (IDEA)

The best source for legal questions is Wrightslaw

Here is information on the least restrictive environment. As far as I know, there is nothing that says that a child must be kept close to home. If the child cannot get the services they need at the home school, the district *can* place them in another school.

Wrightslaw - Least Restrictive Environment/Inclusion Index Page

IDEA: Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) and Free Appropriate Public Education (FAPE)

Old 01-22-2014, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
What school is your child attending exactly and any recommendations on Junior/Middle schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston