Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 08:17 PM

418 posts, read 737,806 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Katy in a few months but I need a little help choosing an area to focus on.

I work downtown and would like to take the Metro system to work. Traffic makes me nuts, so I would love to choose a house with easy access to either the Kingsland Park & Ride or the one on Grand Parkway. I've spent a lot of time on HAR.com and after I look at each house, I use the map function to see how close it would be to the Metro lots, but I have no idea if there is bumper-to-bumper congestion on those roads in the mornings.

I would like a safe, friendly neighborhood. Schools aren't an issue since my kids are in college or older. I would like to stay around $250K, if possible. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Glossa; 11-16-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 08:31 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,701,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glossa View Post
I'm considering a move to Katy in a few months but I need a little help choosing an area to focus on.

I work downtown and would like to take the Metro system to work. Traffic makes me nuts, so I would love to choose a house with easy access to either the Kingsland Park & Ride or the one on Grand Parkway. I've spent a lot of time on HAR.com and after I look at each house, I use the map function to see how close it would be to the Metro lots, but I have no idea if there is bumper-to-bumper congestion on those roads in the mornings.

I would like a safe, friendly neighborhood. Schools aren't an issue since my kids are in college or older. I would like to stay in the 200-250K range. Any suggestions?
I you're looking for resale, I'd start with Williamsburg Settlement for the Grand Pkwy Park & Ride and Nottingham Country for the Kingsland Park & Ride.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:20 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I looked quickly on HAR just now. I was hoping for a little newer construction, but I will check out these areas. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,246,349 times
yes it is bumper to bumper in mornings. Have you considered living closer in near the beltway? Walnut Bend or Briargrove Park are nice neighborhoods with easy access to freeways and metro.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 PM

302 posts, read 951,959 times
I live in Katy and take the bus every morning. If you want new(er) construction, then you'll have to look on the west side of 99.
I live there on Cinco Ranch / Gaston. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to get to the park and ride in Kingsland. There is very little traffic in the mornings (6:30) to get to the Park n Ride. The one in Grand Parkway is probably closer to me, but there is a lot of construction going on between 99 and I-10, so I try to avoid the area.

Also, during peak times, the Grand Parkway lot has a bus every 15 minutes vs a bus every 4 minutes at kingsland. I would definetively shoot for Kingsland, but I wouldn't worry about driving there from Katy... It sure beats the heck out of driving downtown...

I have taken the bus for a year now and love it. I can read, listen to music, sleep, whatever! and let someone else (sorry driver) worry about the traffic...

Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanks, jstanford. This was an old post and I decided to stay in 77079 and not move after all. This may be very helpful to someone else with the same question, though, so thanks for posting this information.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:33 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,393,280 times
Default this is the answer

Buy a home in the Memorial parkway or nottingham subdivision in foreclosure for about 80-100k. have it demolished and build another home with a 150k construction loan. You would end up with a 250k house that is brand spanking new and right next to the kingsland park and ride and a heck of a lot closer to shopping etc than the new home neighborhoods.

Or you could just buy one for 100k and spend like 40k to make it like new. The second option would be the best.

If you really want a newer home then Falcon Point has many models built in the early to mid 2000's. They do have homes for 250k but with an enormous tax bill ($7000+ a year) to go with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston