Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:55 PM

275 posts, read 833,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
So I can imagine a business traveler taking a cab from the airport and being horrified and then wandering around a deserted downtown looking for dinner, and never recovering from that atrocious first impression.
lol, this actually happened to me. a friend from out of town came to visit, i got tix to the alley theater and figured we could find someplace to eat dinner (like at 5pm). we wandered around for a while trying to find a place, ANY PLACE that was open. we eventually found a deserted mall that was about to close and ate in some (bad--i mean bug-in-your-veggies-bad) restaurant there. houston is just not centered around the downtown. had we known ahead of time, we could have eaten at the galleria or someplace.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 PM
JL

8,515 posts, read 14,458,648 times
People don't hate Houston, just look at the awful traffic!

Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Increasing crime, pollution, congestion, sprawl, endless tearing down of wooded areas and replacing with concrete and Wal-Marts, excessive heat and humidity for half of the year, increasingly slummish neighborhoods, boring flat landscape, haven for mosquitoes and large roaches, fat/slobby couch potato mentality, etc. It's easy to see why Houston sucks. And no, I've lived here for decades, so I'm very familiar with this place. The only reason I'm posting this is for others who live elsewhere and monitor this forum. They deserve to get an accurate picture of what the town is like.

And yeah, TimBomb is exactly right: many here write glowingly about Houston as though they are realtors; often hiding any and all negatives (and fine print).
the negatives aren't hidden. They do get mentioned alot by those of us who love Houston. I'll be the first to tell you that traffic is awful. People here drive insane. The freeway ramps are like helix sections of a rollercoaster.

I will also tell you that Houston needs to get its mass transit situation in order. But things like the climate and bugs and the landscape I don't count against Houston because it is what it is. It's not like the city can up and change the landscape (i.e. grow mountains or drag the coastline closer) or the indigenous insects. Florida is humid too. So is New Orleans, Louisiana. I hear/see far less complaints about the humidity in those areas.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 PM

739 posts, read 1,180,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I agree. Unless you live here or haven't it's a task getting around because everything is so spread out and the traffic. It's not a very wing it type of city. You do have to know at least in a sense where you're going. And that's because it's not walkable as a whole. You can wing it on foot and freestyle. Being in a car winging it is stressful coupled with the traffic and the sprawl.
annd, you simply can't expect it to look like it did 5 years ago. There is constant construction in and around the city and on the freeways. Houston is constantly changing.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM

860 posts, read 1,573,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohouston2 View Post
lol, this actually happened to me. a friend from out of town came to visit, i got tix to the alley theater and figured we could find someplace to eat dinner (like at 5pm). we wandered around for a while trying to find a place, ANY PLACE that was open. we eventually found a deserted mall that was about to close and ate in some (bad--i mean bug-in-your-veggies-bad) restaurant there. houston is just not centered around the downtown. had we known ahead of time, we could have eaten at the galleria or someplace.
You didn't mention how long ago this happened -- Birraporetti's in the theater district has specialized in pre-performance dinners for years, and there are other restaurants as well. It's always a good idea to do a little homework when planning an evening out in an unfamiliar area.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:06 AM

385 posts, read 963,774 times
Quote:
Alley Theater is three blocks from Frank's Pizza.
Cheap slices and 2$ St. Arnolds.
And Cabo is next door to that.
you were 5 blocks from Spaghetti warehouse.
etc.
C'mon man.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,773,910 times
Quote:
Birraporettis or Longhorn Cafe are around the corner...

Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 1,569,578 times
what kind of idiot complains about the rushhour traffic in houston. you get to listen to 10 songs before you start your day, that is good. And the drivers here are not crazy as many old ladies here describe them to be. A lot of ladies here drive the entry level used german car(or 'equivalent') and they think people are out to get them. Ive seen this too many times. Atleast 2x now the lady in front of me in crawling traffic was literally pulling her hair out and crapping her pants because she thinks being 5ft apart bumper to bumper is too close to her beat up porsche boxster.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:44 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Ther're tons of good restaurants downtown. Vic and Anthony's, Biraporettis', Don Shula's Steakhouse, Massa's, Irma's, I've herd good things about the Grove in Discovery Green, Guadalajara, The House of Blues. You might have to walk a couple of blocks, but so what, isn't that what you people want? To be able to walk everywhere. People are entitled to their opinions about Houston, but to say they're is no places to eat downtown is just ridiculous.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,014,209 times
red pier asian bistro is my favorite late night spot downtown/midtown. perfectly walkable. open till 3am. mmm shrimp rolls

people who can't find a place to eat downtown are not from houston and don't understand the concept of a downtown. i can be in downtown seattle and the only place I see to eat is coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston