U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:27 AM

5,292 posts, read 8,686,762 times
Why is it the best? For me, right now, because it offers a lot more of just about everything and is a lot less one-dimensional than the previous city in Texas I lived even though that one gets a lot more media praise.
Dallas offers most of the same amenities and opportunities as Houston but to me just feels sort of sterile and contrived, and of course I prefer Houston's greenery and milder winters.
San Antonio is for me more of a place to visit than to live, just a preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 12:41 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,847,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Well, downtown Houston kind of reminds me of downtown San Francisco, expcept that of course, Houston has more very tall buildings and uptown Houston reminds me alot of century city/wilshire blvd. in LA (the area where all of the major film companies are located). All in all, Houston is like a combination of both LA and San Francisco in terms of city environment. That is why Houston appeals to me so much more than other Texas cities. But again, the other major cities in Texas are great in their own ways.

All in all, I can't hate on any city in Texas or any city in Cali. BTW, where did u grow up in Nor Cal? My dad and his family grew up in the Redding and Willows area. Nor Cal is certainly the most beautiful in the state, including the coastal areas.
Downtown is pretty good in Houston. It kinda reminds of SF because of narrow streets and tall buildings but it is still very far from it.

I grew up in San Jose, CA.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:44 PM

12,298 posts, read 12,937,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Downtown is pretty good in Houston. It kinda reminds of SF because of narrow streets and tall buildings but it is still very far from it.

Downtown Houston is more like Downtown Los Angeles. They even look similar from afar.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:59 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,297,457 times
What I like about Houston is the diversity (good food) and how a lot of the areas in the loop can feel so different. Montrose is way different from Eastwood and Rice Village, but I go to all 3 depending on what I am wanting.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:31 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,475,271 times
Quote:

which streets in DT Houston are narrow??? They are looking to narrow some right now

Old 11-27-2011, 10:21 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,847,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
which streets in DT Houston are narrow??? They are looking to narrow some right now
Not as narrow as SF though.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,475,271 times
Quote:
Not as narrow as SF though.
Houston's Streets are 60-100ft wide. In most cities the streets are only 30ft wide. There is a push to narrow the streets in main street square right now to encourage pedestrian activity in that area

Old 11-28-2011, 12:06 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,398,232 times
OMG TimBomb, you THRIVE on bashing Houston. I still don't get you.
For your sake, I hope you get an job opportunity in some other city which will allow you to move out of Houston, so you can be happy once and for all.

Anyways....Houston is a great city. You will be just fine here.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,398,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
LOL! I was shocked when the OP said that Houston reminds him of LA and San Fransisco, but almost everyone says that Houston's downtown is dead and the city is boring.
People who are bored in Houston would DEFINATLEY be bored in cities like, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Atlanta.

If you are bored here, you are just not looking. Or you are pretending that Houston is NYC or LA or something.

Houston has TONS AND TONS of things to do. I don't buy this "Houston is boring. Downtown is dead".

This coming from a Native New Yorker.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 AM

1,182 posts, read 935,939 times
People that say Houston is boring are the ones who are boring, there is always something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston