Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 01:07 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,927,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Interesting. I can see it happening, however I don't know much about Texas or Houston politics and policies.
In the 20th century there was a big rush for the tax base. Increase size, get more people, increase the tax base. But under a lot of pressure they have not done any general purpose annexation since Kingwood almost 20 yrs ago.

Quote:
Katy, Cypress, and Spring don't have established infrastructures and and centers so they will never feel like satellite cities like Denton or whatever else surrounds Dallas.
that is why I was asking this:

Quote:
Do you think the DFW people will start saying "look who's talking about sister cities." Even though these developed as true suburbs of the city instead of independent cities that had their own downtown before the metro swallowed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
NGL, I had to pull up another window because I said "What the heck is MSA?"

I've seen that here before and honestly didn't know. I'm bad with acronyms
ha ha, you probably rarely visit the general forums. That is an everyday acronym there.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Is Prairie View going to be affected by all of this growth or is it too far from the area?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,282,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
In the 20th century there was a big rush for the tax base. Increase size, get more people, increase the tax base. But under a lot of pressure they have not done any general purpose annexation since Kingwood almost 20 yrs ago.

that is why I was asking this:

ha ha, you probably rarely visit the general forums. That is an everyday acronym there.
Kingwood was annexed? So does that include Northpark? My cousin lives in that huge subdivision just west of 59 on Northpark and her address says Porter, TX.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Kingwood was annexed? So does that include Northpark? My cousin lives in that huge subdivision just west of 59 on Northpark and her address says Porter, TX.
Kingwood was what started the whole uproar.

lawsuits were filed to try and stop the annexation, but it didn't work.

Texas law is changing because of all their noise.

I don't see the problem, these masterplanned communities know that is they are in Houston's ETJ you might be swallowed up.

The Woodlands were a little more successful with their bid although the intent of the planner of TW was to have it become part of houston someday.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Kingwood was what started the whole uproar.

lawsuits were filed to try and stop the annexation, but it didn't work.

Texas law is changing because of all their noise.

I don't see the problem, these masterplanned communities know that is they are in Houston's ETJ you might be swallowed up.

The Woodlands were a little more successful with their bid although the intent of the planner of TW was to have it become part of houston someday.
True, but when will Houston stop? Until they extend more into Ft. Bend and Montgomery Counties?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
True, but when will Houston stop? Until they extend more into Ft. Bend and Montgomery Counties?
like I said, they have. Kingwood was almost 20 years ago. Annexation proceedings for that one started in 1993

Old 11-30-2011, 10:20 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,444,419 times
Quote:
simple answer. The counties are joined based on commuting patterns, NOT distance.
But how many people live on Galveston Island and work in Downtown Houston?

Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Many people in Galveston county work in the SE and along 45 south, doesn't have to be the island.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Quote:
Many people in Galveston county work in the SE and along 45 south, doesn't have to be the island.
Counties are joined to counties in metros, not downtown to downtown.

That guy said Galveston is bla bla bla miles from Houston, when in actuality Galveston county is 0 miles from Harris County. Remember Galveston County extends all the way to Clearlake (which is city of Houston) it is not just the island

What is important is people working in between the two counties.
in 2000, 33% of Galveston's working population held jobs in Harris County. And in 2000, 11% of the jobs held in Galveston county was from Harris residents. Thus the commuting rate for Houston and Galveston was 45%.

remember only 25% is necessary to bind the two together, and we are waaay passed that. The figure should be waay more than that now since the major growth between the two counties has been nearer to Houston and not the island. League City for example has doubled in population since 2000 from 40K to 80K and is now the largest city in Galveston county. League City straddles the Galveston County/ Harris County border. That shows you how much Houston influences the neighboring counties.

Pearland in Brazoria quickly outpassed the county seat, and now 1/3 of the population of Brazoria county lives in Pearland alone. Thus Brazoria county is firmly bound to Houston.

That leads me to another point. The commuting interplay does not have to be to Houston only. When a county provides enough support to an urban area and job interaction it becomes a central county. In addition to Harris being a central county of the metro, Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston counties are central counties in the metro. Thus any county meeting the commuting requirements to that county can be joined to Houston's MSA without its workers having to set foot in Houston

Chambers County and Montgomery county was really close to being deemed central counties last time, I dunno if anything has changed. This is important in two regards.

1. Huntsville met the requirements for being added to Houston's CSA (15%) but not to the MSA (25%). Huntsville does however meet the requirements to be added to the MSA if Montgomery county was a central county. That would bring the MSA total to 6,242,242

2. Beaumont is in Jefferson County, the central county for that metro. The interplay between Beaumont and Houston central counties were low (3%), but the interchange between Jefferson and Houston if Chambers was a central county jumps to 12% (2000 numbers). If Chambers becomes a central county and the interplay increases slightly, the Beaumont metro area may join with Houston's CSA adding 400K to the CSA making us an area of 6.7M people.

Dallas FW has 6 central counties but non are close to anything at the moment.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:48 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,765,578 times
Quote:
Counties are joined to counties in metros, not downtown to downtown.

That guy said Galveston is bla bla bla miles from Houston, when in actuality Galveston county is 0 miles from Harris County. Remember Galveston County extends all the way to Clearlake (which is city of Houston) it is not just the island

What is important is people working in between the two counties.
in 2000, 33% of Galveston's working population held jobs in Harris County. And in 2000, 11% of the jobs held in Galveston county was from Harris residents. Thus the commuting rate for Houston and Galveston was 45%.

remember only 25% is necessary to bind the two together, and we are waaay passed that. The figure should be waay more than that now since the major growth between the two counties has been nearer to Houston and not the island. League City for example has doubled in population since 2000 from 40K to 80K and is now the largest city in Galveston county. League City straddles the Galveston County/ Harris County border. That shows you how much Houston influences the neighboring counties.

Pearland in Brazoria quickly outpassed the county seat, and now 1/3 of the population of Brazoria county lives in Pearland alone. Thus Brazoria county is firmly bound to Houston.

That leads me to another point. The commuting interplay does not have to be to Houston only. When a county provides enough support to an urban area and job interaction it becomes a central county. In addition to Harris being a central county of the metro, Fort Bend, Brazoria and Galveston counties are central counties in the metro. Thus any county meeting the commuting requirements to that county can be joined to Houston's MSA without its workers having to set foot in Houston

Chambers County and Montgomery county was really close to being deemed central counties last time, I dunno if anything has changed. This is important in two regards.

1. Huntsville met the requirements for being added to Houston's CSA (15%) but not to the MSA (25%). Huntsville does however meet the requirements to be added to the MSA if Montgomery county was a central county. That would bring the MSA total to 6,242,242

2. Beaumont is in Jefferson County, the central county for that metro. The interplay between Beaumont and Houston central counties were low (3%), but the interchange between Jefferson and Houston if Chambers was a central county jumps to 12% (2000 numbers). If Chambers becomes a central county and the interplay increases slightly, the Beaumont metro area may join with Houston's CSA adding 400K to the CSA making us an area of 6.7M people.

Dallas FW has 6 central counties but non are close to anything at the moment.
Great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston