U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-29-2011, 09:44 AM

378 posts, read 538,708 times

Advertisements

I have a high ceiling house, it has 2 thermostat/aircon/heater - 1 downstairs and 1 upstairs.

I only turn on the heater downstairs, upstairs is off.

My main problem is temperature downstairs is only 77 yet upstairs is already 85. Basically heat is going up thru the high ceiling eventhough my heater is turned off upstairs.

I was told to put the fan on instead of auto to circulate the air.
Should I leave fan on for both downstairs and upstairs eventhough upstairs heater is off?
Would fan be damaged if i leave it on for the whole night instead of just auto?

I know this isnt houston related but there must be DIY here. And I'm lazy to find HVAC forum.

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 10:01 AM

3,334 posts, read 4,805,861 times
Ceiling fans are the boon to all mankind that has high ceilings. Resolve your problem in one easy step. Ceiling fans push warm air down during the winter and if you reverse them, then move cool air up.

Ronnie

Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM

2,006 posts, read 2,569,945 times
Also make sure that the upstairs HVAC internal fan is running which will be moving all the hot air coming from downstairs. The difference should bew few degrees only, 2 or 3 top.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
Also make sure that the upstairs HVAC internal fan is running which will be moving all the hot air coming from downstairs. The difference should bew few degrees only, 2 or 3 top.
this is what i was told but will this damage the fan if it's running 24/7 instead of auto? also should i turn on the heater upstairs also not only the fan eventhough no one sleeps upstairs?

also, should fan for heater downstairs be auto or on all the time?

thanks,

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 AM

7,742 posts, read 18,451,986 times
The starting & stopping of the fan motor (getting shocked on & off) is worse for it than it running all the time.

I only have a one story house, but FWIW if I keep the fan motor running all the time, the humidity steadily increases to 60-65% after a few days. Normally it holds steady around 50%.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:53 AM

It will not damage the fan if it runs continuosly. They're designed to run thousand of hours. Buy a smart thermostat where you can also schedule the runing of the internal HVAC fan so it doesn't run 24/7

For the one downstairs leave it on auto.

If this is a new house you may want to look into re-balancing the rooms. It took me 2 years to get it right in my new house and ended up adding some extra HVAC ducts to few places in the house. For this you will need profesional help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
this is what i was told but will this damage the fan if it's running 24/7 instead of auto? also should i turn on the heater upstairs also not only the fan eventhough no one sleeps upstairs?

also, should fan for heater downstairs be auto or on all the time?

thanks,

Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM

742 posts, read 1,405,908 times
The problem is your upstairs thermostat is out in the open, where heat from downstairs can get to it. So by running your heater downstairs, your upstairs is heated (heat rises) and drives the thermostat up to 85. Your upstairs bedrooms are probably chilly if you keep the doors closed.

I have the same issue, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Relocating the upstairs thermostat to one of the bedrooms is a possibility. Lowering the thermostat downstairs to a very low setting (say 68) and having the upstairs set at 75 or so is another. But then downstairs will get quite chilly.

I don't see it as a re-balancing rooms issue really, it's just that heat rises and your upstairs thermostat is out in the open. So you either need a large temperature differential setting, or relocate the upstairs thermostat to an interior room where heat from below doesn't affect it as much.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM

A smart thermostat will fix that for you. I anticipated the same issue with my upstairs in my new house and knowing that from my previous house. When I built the house I had them use my own thermostats and run wires for extra thermo sensors in 3 location upstairs. The thermostat does have to support 3 sensors and is intelligent enough to make the right decisions. This is what I have in my house and it works really well. The difference between upstairs and downstairs is always around 3 degrees. But I did have to do some work around re-balancing the rooms as well

IMT550c/w

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
The problem is your upstairs thermostat is out in the open, where heat from downstairs can get to it. So by running your heater downstairs, your upstairs is heated (heat rises) and drives the thermostat up to 85. Your upstairs bedrooms are probably chilly if you keep the doors closed.

I have the same issue, and I'm not really sure what to do about it. Relocating the upstairs thermostat to one of the bedrooms is a possibility. Lowering the thermostat downstairs to a very low setting (say 68) and having the upstairs set at 75 or so is another. But then downstairs will get quite chilly.

I don't see it as a re-balancing rooms issue really, it's just that heat rises and your upstairs thermostat is out in the open. So you either need a large temperature differential setting, or relocate the upstairs thermostat to an interior room where heat from below doesn't affect it as much.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post

i dont think thermostat location is the problem. regardless if i put it inside or outside room upstairs my gameroom will still be 85 degrees due to heat rising from downstairs. also i set my thermo downstairs at 77, i should i just set it at 70 to 72.

best way is a ceiling fan but my high ceiling is not my family room so there is no ceiling fan. i can put stand fan upstairs right next to high ceiling to circulate air.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 478,933 times
my lower thermostat is a few feet from my garage, which is our main entry (our shoes are here) and storage. that affects the temps in my house. only a few degrees and a rather short amount of time tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston