U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2011, 02:24 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,786,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I dont buy that excuse there are plenty of city with decent actvity on the surface that have tunnels,houston downtown has always been a bussiness district, I think that is just more houstians mindset, we just dont care to flock to downtown just for the hell of it, and i travel on the streets a reguar , I see people in the bars, and restarunts all the time, hell at around 1 the flying sauser looks pacted on weekdays, as well.Houston people are not like NY or LA, we tend to only go downtown for certain events. discoverly green and other places have helped in many regard, but again people on tend to hit those venues when something is actually going on there
I promise you if it were not for the tunnels; downtown Houston would have more vibrancy. Something at least to the extent of downtown Austin [speaking daytime]. Nothing major, but definitely a step up.

The tunnels are set up to where outside exposure isn't necessary. No need to step out on the sidewalks in the heat [or cold] when everything is below the streets.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 03:38 PM

3,830 posts, read 2,120,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Yaknow what's REALLY cool? When the tunnels fill up with water!

Ronnie
Well since you mentioned it...this was after Allison:

Houston Tunnels ??-mvc00045.jpg

Houston Tunnels ??-mvc00050.jpg

Houston Tunnels ??-mvc00064.jpg

Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,281,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I promise you if it were not for the tunnels; downtown Houston would have more vibrancy. Something at least to the extent of downtown Austin [speaking daytime]. Nothing major, but definitely a step up.

The tunnels are set up to where outside exposure isn't necessary. No need to step out on the sidewalks in the heat [or cold] when everything is below the streets.
I doubt it. it is the interface that is screwing up pedestrian activity. Most buildings have solid walls of granite, concrete or glass that you cant see into. More active streets have store fronts and restaurants that you see into.

Houston needs to start giving people things to look at in order to keep people on the streets. We also need more street vendors and outdoor cafes like there are on the north end of main.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:52 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,488,047 times
the tunnels can be downright busy. imagine all of those people being forced to walk around outside. yes that would really increase pedestrian activity during the week

Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM

15,831 posts, read 19,786,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I doubt it. it is the interface that is screwing up pedestrian activity. Most buildings have solid walls of granite, concrete or glass that you cant see into. More active streets have store fronts and restaurants that you see into.

Houston needs to start giving people things to look at in order to keep people on the streets. We also need more street vendors and outdoor cafes like there are on the north end of main.
The tunnels give the people an escape and keeps them off the streets. Retail, restaurants and more down there. It keeps business and people off the streets.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:28 PM

289 posts, read 354,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Exactly. People want to keep Houston lame.

Underground Atlanta
Underground ATL is at the other end of the spectrum: a pointless tourist trap. Houston's tunnel system is comparable to Toronto and Montreal's tunnel system. Those systems are also much larger and connect to things other than office buildings.

Houston actually has several tunnel systems (the courthouses for example have their own). It would be interesting if all downtown tunnel systems were all interconnected and then expanded to connect to the Convention Center, MM Park, Toyota Center, etc.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 4,434,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
That is the sad part too. I think this pretty much sums Houston up right? All work and no play. Could you imagine the Houston Underground? This is just one example of how Houston fails when it comes to entertainment.
If you can't find entertainment in Houston then something is wrong with you.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM

6,548 posts, read 9,638,425 times
The tunnels will never be any sort of entertainment center because the tunnels connect office buildings - the portion of real estate that the tunnel is under each building belongs to the hi-rise over it. Those businesses will not ever open night life or tourist things in an office building.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,386,471 times
I really don't care about attracting tourists. I just wish Houston would try and exploit its potential. It isn't about "looking and finding things to do". It is about Houston being a world class city with world class attractions for ITS RESIDENTS. Houston is not there, and that is sad.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Location: Where nothing ever grows. No rain or rivers flow, Texas
1,085 posts, read 462,670 times
very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston