Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 AM

208 posts, read 552,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That's the hood, for lack of a better word. Those new homes = lots black flight from places immediately north.

If you have a car project there are a lot of good junkyards in that area.
Folks need to do their own research other than relying on people, who are racist and prejudice. You maybe missing out on nice neighborhoods reading some of the garbage people are posting on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:47 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,476 times
I forgot to mention Southdown in Pearland has good options. Homes are built in the 80's+, but at $150k, you should be able to find a newer home built in the late 1990's or early 2000's.

To be honest. I would compromise on the age of the home and buy in a more established area like Southdown in Pearland or the Enclave like Tim mentioned. Only problem with the Enclave is the high taxes.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:00 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,689,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
Folks need to do their own research other than relying on people, who are racist and prejudice. You maybe missing out on nice neighborhoods reading some of the garbage people are posting on here.

Not sure what you're trying to get at but my descriptions of that area is accurate. I'll also add if he's looking to buy there, stay for 3 years and then sell, IMO he's most likely going to lose money. He's better off renting in the TMC for something in his monthly budget. At least then he's right there by all the amenities the inner loop has to offer.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:05 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,764,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
Probably not up and down Cullen, though...

It may actually be irresponsible to "blow smoke" about the possibility of living in a rough area for someone who doesn't know Houston well.

If the OP is a resident who plans to bolt after a three year stint, renting close to the med center is probably a vastly superior option. There aren't many $150k new-newish construction single-family homes reasonably close to the TMC that are very likely to be anything other than a huge anchor around his neck three years down the road.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 AM

568 posts, read 1,128,486 times
I have to agree with the whole City Park development, not a wise decision.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:17 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,384 times
Westbury North or South you can still find homes for 150,000 but they won't be renovated and not built since 2005. newer homes for that cheap don't tend to look good or age well. i get to my office closer to main in the med center in 15 minutes (7 minutes without traffic)

it's a nice area and despite the economy seems to be continually bringing in younger people/families to buy

why don't you just rent a home?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM

55 posts, read 109,024 times
Hi Squash,

I live in City Park and it's pretty nice, it's very well kept and pretty safe. Lots of people and kids walking around at all times. McMansions in city park west are quite common and values are pretty stable around the <150s. Commute to medical center is excellent as well. The only thing I hate though is the location is AWFUL. Like there literally is no shopping around. Kroger is 5-10 minutes down 288, and pearland is like 10-15 mins, but the shopping there is pretty trashy and suburban. I'm used to living in the SW where I had like 4 or 5 grocery stores less than 3 miles away so it was pretty shocking moving here. City Park West is a nice area overall and I definitely recommend it if you can tolerate driving.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,568,330 times
South Post Oak & Tidewater both side of Post Oak have some nice homes also a little further south Check out Windsor Village

Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,504 times
My aunt lives off Hiram Clarke in an older, well-established neighborhood that has held value...

If you turn on Tidewater from Post Oak in the older part, you get a very nice lot size

As for City Park and shopping, Kroger basically has said it's not coming into certain areas as they're now focused on building ANOTHER store in the heights and closing ones (Tidwell/Antoine) in areas that need them...

There really hasn't been many grocery stores on the south side (inside beltway 8) ever...Kroger came and gone in alot of areas, Rice fizzled away, Foodaramas are abundant out there but that's it..

But who remembers when the South Side mall was supposed to be located on 288 and Almeda Genoa?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:01 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,066,262 times
Grocery stores in southern Houston outside of 610, east of Highway 90A, inside Beltway 8, and west of Mykawa are:
* Fiesta: 12355 Main
* Fiesta: 9420 Cullen

I think the Hiram Clarke and City Park areas sound look good possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston