Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:23 PM

50 posts, read 102,867 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal...

I'm in the Coast Guard and have orders to report to Sector Houston/Galveston at 9640 Clinton Dr., Houston, TX.

My wife is going to be doing some schooling that is only available at the Katy Campus of Houston Community College.

Looking these places up, of course they are on opposite sides of Houston. We have found some places in Humble, and it looks like a tolerable drive for me, but about 40 miles for her...not sure what it would be with traffic (any ideas?). We found another place in the Aldine area (looks like on the Northern part just inside the 610 loop).

We were trying to find a place in Bellaire, but haven't been lucky so far with our findings. Pearland also seems like it might be a hike for her.

So, that's what we've found on our own research, here's what we're looking for:

2+ bedroom house with a pool and garage for under 1500/month.
My commute to the Coast Guard base I want 30 minutes or less. My wife is good with traveling 1 hour or less.
SAFE neighborhood a must

So, given that information, is this going to be possible? Obviously the problem we've run into is finding a place with a pool, but we've found some. I'm mainly trying to see if there are some locations that I've missed out that I should be searching for. People have told me the commute from Sugar Land to my work would be murder, or else I would include that. It seems like even Bunker Hill to my work would be bad. True or not?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Humble is not your answer. You are on the east side of 610. She is far west. Going far north is not a good idea. Even Jsersey Village is a better idea. Sharpstown.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
House or apt. If apt. I would suggested Heights or Midtown - reverse commute for both of you. Looking for safe - I wouldn't go with Sharpstown - while you might find a safe neighborhood, the shopping, etc in the nearby area isn't what I would call safe. Will be a little bit of a commute for each of you but not a killer commute by any means.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Actually, Sharpstown is not unsafe. It's also the closest when considering a house with a pool, rather than an apartment.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:13 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
Humble and Aldine are not going to work at all! Check 77042

Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
I would map it out and try to make the commute a half way point for both of you.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:35 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,217 times
What are your hours? That makes a difference.

If your wife is going to class after 11am then she's good anywhere because traffic has died down. I can get from Spring to Downtown Houston in 30 minutes tops and I take the Beltway.

I would think her classes will give her lots of flexibility. I'm guessing she's in a program since she's limited to the Katy Campus. So her hours should be all over the grid so she can make a commute.

Beltway moves. When you're paying you don't idle and hold everyone else up, lol.

What about your hours?

People bark about the commute times but people work at all hours. Not everyone is in the bumper to bumper hell on the freeway at 7:30-8 trying to make their snails way into Downtown. A simple hour later gives you more leeway.

And, I wouldn't say you have a complete problem with the pool. It's more your budget. Add $500 if you can and you'll be open to more areas with a 2+ bedrooms, pool and $2000 a month.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 AM

50 posts, read 102,867 times
Her school goes from 930-1230 everyday. I'll be working probably 7-4 or 5 each day.

Also, the only houses we've been able to find, 2 are in Humble and 1 is in Bellaire. The Bellaire one is not at the top of our list though, even though that would be the ideal commute.

How long would the transit be from Humble to Katy each day, with what her hours are going to be? We'd rather live in a house we both like, then something that we settled for. However, if it's going to be 1.5 hours-2 hours transit one way, then obviously it won't work. I'm guessing my commute will be around 30-40 minutes?

Old 12-05-2011, 03:43 AM

1,211 posts, read 3,556,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I can get from Spring to Downtown Houston in 30 minutes tops and I take the beltway.
I assume you're implying that you take the Hardy toll road from Spring to downtown. If not, how many laps around the beltway does it usually take you, before you end up in downtown?

Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Your best bet would be somewhere in the Heights or Timbergrove, or Garden Oaks but it probably will not fit your budget unless you go with an apartment. Humble is not an option for your wife. I would nor suggest Bellaire either. You may find something in in those areas within your budget, housewise, but it will not have a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston