U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,670 times

Advertisements

I was stopped one night by an officer that was several blocks away I was driving a normal speed limit, can he speed and run a red light just to catch me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,099,820 times
did he have his siren and lights on? the officer was in pursuit of you. if he had his siren and lights on and passed through the red light safely than yes he can do that.

if a cop is in pursuit of someone, even if an innocent person is maimed or killed as a bystander, if the cop can attest to being in pursuit and not acting willfully (or grossly negligent) they don't typically get in trouble. most dangerous criminals/fugitives are caught due to traffic violations. he didn't know if you were a killer or a speeder.

can they speed and run lights to go home or just any reason? - no and you can find a youtube video of one jurisdiction cop giving another jurisdiction's cop a tongue lashing and ticket for doing so

Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
They don't use the sirens unless they get a call or are in a chase. Lights are all they use for traffic stops.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
did he have his siren and lights on? the officer was in pursuit of you. if he had his siren and lights on and passed through the red light safely than yes he can do that.

if a cop is in pursuit of someone, even if an innocent person is maimed or killed as a bystander, if the cop can attest to being in pursuit and not acting willfully (or grossly negligent) they don't typically get in trouble. most dangerous criminals/fugitives are caught due to traffic violations. he didn't know if you were a killer or a speeder.

can they speed and run lights to go home or just any reason? - no and you can find a youtube video of one jurisdiction cop giving another jurisdiction's cop a tongue lashing and ticket for doing so
I think he did know it was me, he pulled me over last night and was very rude to me while training a newbie. I had left the house in a hurry to pick up the kids, I had a taillight out and i had forgotten my wallet. I bought the tail light today but had no one to put it in.
Tonight as I left the corner store he was at least two blocks east and turned onto my street, I crossed a road and was another couple of blocks away, when I saw him speed up, lights flash through the street, then off, then speed up to catch me, turn the corner with no blinker, then turn his lights on to pull me over again.
That just don't seem right to me, I was at least a 1/4 mile away in a residential area when all this happened.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewindwoman View Post
I think he did know it was me, he pulled me over last night and was very rude to me while training a newbie. I had left the house in a hurry to pick up the kids, I had a taillight out and i had forgotten my wallet. I bought the tail light today but had no one to put it in.
Tonight as I left the corner store he was at least two blocks east and turned onto my street, I crossed a road and was another couple of blocks away, when I saw him speed up, lights flash through the street, then off, then speed up to catch me, turn the corner with no blinker, then turn his lights on to pull me over again.
That just don't seem right to me, I was at least a 1/4 mile away in a residential area when all this happened.
Report him. Wish I would have reported one of the West U officers. Half the cops in this country don't deserve their jobs.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 AM

3,333 posts, read 8,030,546 times
Of course they can. You don't think somebody's going to make a citizen's arrest or that another cop is going to stop him do you?

Ronnie

Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 AM

847 posts, read 1,509,849 times
well technically he didn't run the red light cause you said he turned on his lights crossing through the street. and yes, they can speed up to catch up to you. how else will they catch up to you to give you a ticket?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,689,984 times
You think that's bad?

I was going to turn left into a shopping area
a police officer was driving out of there and wanting to turn left
he should have waited for me to turn in
well, he didn't give a ..... so he drove out and turned left.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You think that's bad?

I was going to turn left into a shopping area
a police officer was driving out of there and wanting to turn left
he should have waited for me to turn in
well, he didn't give a ..... so he drove out and turned left.
Don't be surprised.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 AM

2,465 posts, read 4,970,232 times
Of course they can. They're above the law, what you expecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewindwoman View Post
I was stopped one night by an officer that was several blocks away I was driving a normal speed limit, can he speed and run a red light just to catch me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or