U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:16 AM

290 posts, read 402,075 times
I live in Cinco and everytime I go by Mason I wonder why did I do that... It's hard to think it would get worse than the strip mall where the Fiesta is and the one right in front of it... That whole section of Mason north of Cinco Ranch is a big eye-sore.... wish we could torn it all down and start fresh...

I do understand the homeowner's fear though, same thing happened to the neighborhood behind the Walmart on 99 and Westpart... Their values went to hell... but then again... you can walk to walmart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:21 AM

9,739 posts, read 8,461,791 times
This goes down to the same problem I always see everywhere.
Everybody wants a small government representation (community government) that will allow them to put up for a vote a lot of things that involve city planning.
Everybody wants to live in a place like The Woodlands, nicely planned, where the traffic lights are synchronized, where there's a public park for kids every X number of blocks, where businesses are confined to small pockets instead of having a 10 mile row of businesses.

But that's only possible with good city planning.
It just bothers that when somebody in a poor neighborhood asks for the same thing or same rights.... some people start saying "We need less government and more business freedom".... only when is not in their backyard.

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:28 AM

8,694 posts, read 13,697,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
This goes down to the same problem I always see everywhere.
Everybody wants a small government representation (community government) that will allow them to put up for a vote a lot of things that involve city planning.
Everybody wants to live in a place like The Woodlands, nicely planned, where the traffic lights are synchronized, where there's a public park for kids every X number of blocks, where businesses are confined to small pockets instead of having a 10 mile row of businesses.

But that's only possible with good city planning.
It just bothers that when somebody in a poor neighborhood asks for the same thing or same rights.... some people start saying "We need less government and more business freedom".... only when is not in their backyard.

The Woodlands built a Walmart in the back. The Sterling Ridge residents freaked out,protested ,etc. Who were the first to use the Walmart ? Sterling Ridge residents.:roll eyes:

Point is, you buy in any community with open land near buy, it's a crapshoot.

The legend of timed light still exists? LOL

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:28 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,936,173 times
Don't go to Aldi, you'll get shot... or at least that's what somebody said in the other thread.

Ronnie

Unread 12-07-2011, 07:44 AM

823 posts, read 772,493 times
Signed.

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:26 AM

34 posts, read 32,704 times
Thank you deckhanddavy. Dopo, everyone is entitled to their opinion, including you as well as OPT. At least they are strong enough to stand united and say we don't want this in our neighborhood, rather than sit back and complain later.

There are many other areas in the U.S. who have opposed Aldi for reasons like traffic.

Even for those whose property will not back up to ALDI it WILL effect the entire area’s property values. Additionally, I have neighbors and friends that live in OPT that would be severely impacted by this store. That’s what we do here – help our friends and neighbors and hold our community to a standard that makes this a great place to live and raise kids.

Do you know these facts about the proposed ALDI store site?
*Truck traffic for deliveries will be routed into an entrance on Oak Park Trails Drive (not Mason Rd)? Just across from another nice quiet business/neighbor, an alzheimers care facility. Oak Park Trails Drive is not a major street that should be subjected to daily truck traffic from grocery store deliveries. It is a neighborhood streets meant to move traffic in and out of the community. We fought for years to get the traffic signal to provide a safe way in and out of OPT. Now find out that if there was no signal, ALDI would not have selected it as a potential site. Nice. Oh yea nad when they have to put in a turn lane to turn left onto MAson from OPT Drive – they get to rip out our nice esplanade and all our pretty landscaping. We will be lucky to keep a spit of green around the monument signs and flag poles.
*Most deliveries will be made at night – after midnight. Great unless you happen to live in the “ALDI” zone. Or at the Alzheimers home. Or in one of the apartments that faces onto the ALDI site.

* There will be no access to the site for southbound Mason Rd traffic unless they turn left onto OPT Drive, forcing shopper traffic into our neighborhood and on a neighborhood street (not a major thoroughfare). Then there will be the cut through traffic as people try to get there and avoid the Highland Knolls/Mason Road traffic. Directly effects the safety of our neighborhood and the children that live and play here in OPT.

*ALDI loading dock and trash/garbage areas will back up to homes and an exisiting dog park that belongs to the apartment complex. Not a good thing at all!
*Aldi stores are only staffed by 2-3 employees at a time for 2 shifts. So no big increase in jobs here – will hire 6-10 employees MAX! And since they staff so little there is no one to patrol parking lot, etc. They barely have time to stock the shelves – oh wait a minute – they dont have shelves…they barely have time to stack the pallets and open the cardboard boxes while trying to also check out shoppers.

*No security provided which means the deputies that our HOA pays to patrol OUR neighborhood will have to keep an eye on things over inthe ALDI parking lot. Guess we can foot the bill for that too.
*Property values have gone down in other neighborhoods that have been in similar situation with ALDI. I think fighting to protect the value of my home and all the homes in my area is of great importance! I moved here from the Alief area many years ago so I know what can happen when a neighborhood does not or cannot fight for higher standards.
Just some thoughts that I wanted to share to help clarify our opposition.
We are not opposed to ALDI – just the location.

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:27 AM

286 posts, read 305,909 times
This reminds me of when Katy residents were telling the Heights to get over the Wal-Mart project. The name of the store is different, but the arguments are the same. (Not trying to re-open that can of worms, just chuckling at the irony).

Last edited by heightsian; 12-07-2011 at 09:37 AM..

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:32 AM

3,322 posts, read 3,936,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
This reminds me of when Katy residents were telling the Heights to get over the Wal-Mart project. The name of the store is different, but the arguments are the same. (Not trying to open that can of worms, just chuckling at the irony).
Cans of worms are 88 cents (rollback) at Walmart and $1.09 at Aldi.

Just sayin'...

Ronnie

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:35 AM

8,694 posts, read 13,697,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heightsian View Post
This reminds me of when Katy residents were telling the Heights to get over the Wal-Mart project. The name of the store is different, but the arguments are the same. (Not trying to open that can of worms, just chuckling at the irony).
Lol. I remember that one. I know nothing of Aldis, but he seems far more "designer and acceptable" than a Walmart. Kind of like a Costco. Bunker Hill doesn't complain about it's Costco! Also the housing prices behind it (not Bunker Hill) have done nothing but go up over the past decade.

Unread 12-07-2011, 09:48 AM

34 posts, read 32,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrod8 View Post
I live in Cinco and everytime I go by Mason I wonder why did I do that... It's hard to think it would get worse than the strip mall where the Fiesta is and the one right in front of it... That whole section of Mason north of Cinco Ranch is a big eye-sore.... wish we could torn it all down and start fresh...

I do understand the homeowner's fear though, same thing happened to the neighborhood behind the Walmart on 99 and Westpart... Their values went to hell... but then again... you can walk to walmart
I don't think I would want to talk from Walmart. I have a big dog and can barely get the giant bag of food from the car to my door. I have to enlist my hubby. LOL

I am not a big Walmart fan anyway. I don't shop there. I know the prices are lower but everything is in disarray and I get a panic attack the moment I walk through the door. I would rather pay a few extra bucks and got to Kroger or HEB. Or even better, a farmer's market. Now I am getting hungry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston