Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 06:56 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,946 times

Advertisements

When I registered to vote at 18, I got my first jury summons exactly a month later.

Random they say? Really?

Yeah right. I'm pretty sure my name went to the top of the "random" selection wheel as a new voter who's never had it. Mine and everyone else's. Then I get it again 4 months later? Uh huh, random.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 12:53 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_residents View Post
Four months ago I was offered a job by an oil drilling company. I passed the drug test and started working. Now I am picked again for the drug test. This company randomly pick workers to have drug test. I am just wondereing if this is common practice in Houston area. Do you think this could be some discrimination since my last name is not White?
If you don't use drugs, this would be a non-issue for you.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:59 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
If you don't use drugs, this would be a non-issue for you.
Actually, not really. Just avoid the NIDA 5: coke, weed, codeine, meth and angel dust. The rest is pretty much fair game, at least for now.

The newest generation of post-college superstars near you have flipbooks of Rxs to stay clear, yet still have fun synergizing something with alcohol on Fridays.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM

183 posts, read 278,276 times
Quote:
Four months ago I was offered a job by an oil drilling company. I passed the drug test and started working. Now I am picked again for the drug test. This company randomly pick workers to have drug test. I am just wondereing if this is common practice in Houston area. Do you think this could be some discrimination since my last name is not White?
Hmmmm....does this make you feel better: "........and along with your usual job duties you will be expected to p*** test whenever we ask you to as a condition of your employment". Would you have turned the job down? Are you gonna walk away if you get popped in 4,6 or 8 months from now? We all have choices don't we. And as far as the frequency goes,whatever.Your getting paid during that time right.

Oh and by the way,you are requesting a split sample I hope.If not, if they make a mistake you could be SOL.Just sayin'......

Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM

792 posts, read 1,302,044 times
Quote:
When you accepted that position, I am rather confident you were advised that as an employee you would be subject to random testing, and I am rather confident you agreed.

I see absolutely no grounds for a claim of "discrimination", that testing is a condition of employment. If you feel your rights have been compromised, you have the right to quit

If you are clean, what is the problem, it is on the employer's time and dime.

I have witnessed individuals being selected 4 times in two weeks....Twice within 36 hours !

I recall the days prior to drug testing, trust me, the workplace is much safer today....

Old 12-10-2011, 11:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,792,835 times
If you have nothing to hide why complain? I get tested every 4 months or so. Do I like it? Not really and I think is blatant invasion of my privacy. Do I have a choice? Not really if I wanna collect a nice paycheck.
So just go with the flow mate, don't make it a big deal. Or write your congressman :-)

Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 AM

7 posts, read 89,656 times
What's wrong if you've been randomly checked for drug use. If you're not an illegal drug user you have nothing to worry about. Policy is policy if you wanted to stay in your job, you've got to abide by the rules of your company.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanw View Post
If you have nothing to hide why complain? I get tested every 4 months or so. Do I like it? Not really and I think is blatant invasion of my privacy. Do I have a choice? Not really if I wanna collect a nice paycheck.
So just go with the flow mate, don't make it a big deal. Or write your congressman :-)
You loose rights when you agree to employment with pay. If you have an issue with a drug test...you're up to something. If it quacks like a duck....

Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,946 times
It's a requirement passed down from the majority of the Oil Companies and is very common amongst the vast majority of companies related to the O&G industry. As for education, there are very many highly educated people in Houston that work in O&G. Frankly, your post speaks for itself.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
Race card again? Yawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: