U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Westbury
2,628 posts, read 2,543,284 times
Reputation: 2152

Advertisements

what part of houston is treeless? you can get away from them here. the newer suburbs, which some half heads love, yeah don't have mature trees. because your developer bulldozed them all down to build the largest cheapest home possible for you and your neighbors. could never say majority of houston is "treeless" that is a ridiculous statement
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2011, 04:52 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 366,617 times
Reputation: 337
I grew up in the Bay Area (East Oakland) and have lived in several places in the Sun Belt including Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas and Las Vegas. I live in Houston now (Westchase).

I like Westchase and some of the newer parts of Fort Bend county. But overall, I have found since moving here in fall 2010 that 75% of Houston is butt ugly. 40% of Houston is ghetto (or should I say, solidly blue-collar). The city does not do a good job AT ALL with road beautification and signage outside of some of the "special districts" like Westchase, Spring Branch and portions of Sharpstown. If Houston would redesign its street signs and stoplight masts that would be 25% of the problem solved right there. Many parts of town have stoplights and street signs hanging from wires. That is tacky and makes Houston look like some rural town out in the middle of nowhere when we are the 6th largest metro area in America.

(Take a look at these street signs from the Phoenix area: parts of the Energy Corridor here in Houston use a similar style which works awesome:
http://shell.deru.com/~gdt/babs/bars...riceCorner.jpg)

And if you drive on the streets in this city be prepared to think your tires and suspension will be worn out. Many streets here are worn, filled with cracks and potholes. Drive the length of Richmond Avenue from Midtown to Highway 6. That's a PERFECT example.

Looking for a neighborhood to live in? Do a search for Randalls or Whole Foods supermarkets and concentrate on those zip codes where you find them. If the neighborhood has a Food Town, Foodarama or Dollar General locations, the income level is lower and the crime rate a little higher. This is a good rule of thumb for most areas of Texas.

Last edited by micmac99; 12-10-2011 at 05:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Houston
460 posts, read 650,789 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
.......could never say majority of houston is "treeless" that is a ridiculous statement
I was comparing Houston to areas crammed with trees, so I guess I got a little carried away.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
1,891 posts, read 2,491,041 times
Reputation: 1954
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
(Take a look at these street signs from the Phoenix area: parts of the Energy Corridor here in Houston use a similar style which works awesome:
http://shell.deru.com/~gdt/babs/bars...riceCorner.jpg)
Dallas needs to clean up its act with regards to street signage, stop lights, and telephone polls too. Cities like LA and Phoenix seem to be way ahead in that regard.

I like the signage in Houston near the Galleria. It may be a bit over the top but it seems to personify Houston's Space City image.
San Francisco to Houston-postoaksanfelipe_streetsign_night_2778.137.jpg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Houston
460 posts, read 650,789 times
Reputation: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Drive the length of Richmond Avenue from Midtown to Highway 6.
Because it IS so bad, I now avoid it if all possible - I truly can say (no hyperbole here) that if your car's shocks are worn out, do not drive on it. I've been in cars w/older shocks whose front end seemed to have literally left the ground and then - and we know the following actually occurred - came back down hard enough to crash into the front suspension's internal bump-stops. Not fun. And btw this was going at the posted speed limit.

Quote:
I like the signage in Houston near the Galleria. It may be a bit over the top but it seems to personify Houston's Space City image.
+1
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
312 posts, read 366,617 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Dallas needs to clean up its act with regards to street signage, stop lights, and telephone polls too. Cities like LA and Phoenix seem to be way ahead in that regard.

I like the signage in Houston near the Galleria. It may be a bit over the top but it seems to personify Houston's Space City image.
Attachment 88330
I am still fairly new to Houston but that Galleria signage (the METRO bus stops have a complementary design) is a perfect fit for the upscale "Beverly Hills"-wanna-be shopping and hotel attitude in that area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Status: "We need to talk" (set 23 days ago)
 
Location: Houston
5,638 posts, read 7,646,822 times
Reputation: 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Because it IS so bad, I now avoid it if all possible - I truly can say (no hyperbole here) that if your car's shocks are worn out, do not drive on it. I've been in cars w/older shocks whose front end seemed to have literally left the ground and then - and we know the following actually occurred - came back down hard enough to crash into the front suspension's internal bump-stops. Not fun. And btw this was going at the posted speed limit.

+1
Westheimer between Montrose and Shepard is brutal. Great way to tear up your car.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Houston
657 posts, read 1,676,858 times
Reputation: 230
I've been out west to a lot of these cities some of you rave about.

Phoenix - Smaller, dingier and much less urban than Houston. Extreme heat.
Las Vegas - Interesting at night. Ugly dust bowl in the day. Extreme heat.
San Francisco - Naturally beautiful and scenic, but no shortage of urban blight and homelessness.
Los Angeles - Similar to Houston. Better beaches and scenery, but more pollution and traffic.

My Dad was from the Bronx and attended his brother's funeral in NY about 10 years ago. I asked him how the city had changed. He said, "It was a dump then, it's a dump now."

All of these cities have their own ghettos and bad roads just like Houston. Those are the facts. The rest is just opinion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,576,034 times
Reputation: 7270
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
what part of houston is treeless? you can get away from them here. the newer suburbs, which some half heads love, yeah don't have mature trees. because your developer bulldozed them all down to build the largest cheapest home possible for you and your neighbors. could never say majority of houston is "treeless" that is a ridiculous statement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
I was comparing Houston to areas crammed with trees, so I guess I got a little carried away.
Its getting carried away like this that makes people call other posters Testmo.

Houston is one of the most heavily treed metros Testmo should not have to spend his time defending Houston's greenery.

Why do people always have to go to the extreme with y'all statements?

And someone coming from Arizona should not be opening their mouth talking about Houston's trees. Phoenix is butt ugly all over the city, stop acting like it is only Houston that have run down areas.

Heck Phoenix's downtown is new and two blocks in most directions puts you in the same butt ugly looking areas.
its like all of you move away to Houston and forget that cities in your state are just the same.

And geez, someone makes a thread about moving to Houston and all the advice all of you have to give is an essay on the looks?? Driving with yall must be fun.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 16,576,034 times
Reputation: 7270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I've been out west to a lot of these cities some of you rave about.

Phoenix - Smaller, dingier and much less urban than Houston. Extreme heat.
Las Vegas - Interesting at night. Ugly dust bowl in the day. Extreme heat.
San Francisco - Naturally beautiful and scenic, but no shortage of urban blight and homelessness.
Los Angeles - Similar to Houston. Better beaches and scenery, but more pollution and traffic.

My Dad was from the Bronx and attended his brother's funeral in NY about 10 years ago. I asked him how the city had changed. He said, "It was a dump then, it's a dump now."

All of these cities have their own ghettos and bad roads just like Houston. Those are the facts. The rest is just opinion.
totally agree.

Phoenix:

Saw lots of these- http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...08/110825i.jpg

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...10/081001a.jpg

tons of these- http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...06/110629f.jpg

http://uglyhousephotos.com/wordpress...05/080526e.jpg

Las Vegas- wonder off the strip and you fall into this:
http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/tim...p-from-air.jpg

Seattle-
Yes run down areas here too:

http://www.thestranger.com/images/bl...ley_houses.jpg

http://www.thestranger.com/images/bl...ferson_pic.jpg

Los Angeles:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/99/30...fa5660.jpg?v=0
http://www.urbanohio.com/OtherStates...ngelesCA17.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/...9bf0ac.jpg?v=0
http://www.urbanohio.com/OtherStates...ngelesCA18.jpg
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top