Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2011, 12:03 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH1962 View Post
Hey we are 10 - 3 so far this season. Could win out and host at least 1 home game in the playoffs. I think we have a very good chance to win that 1 home game and then the rest is gravy!

It is nice NOT living out that can't keep a lead late game loss that we lived through last year. Let someone else deal with that this year!

One game at a time and let's see where this thing leads us.

Go Texans!!!
The Texans are already hosting a home game in the playoffs. They won their division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 12:29 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
You know very well that the Texans are gonna kick the Saints Arse in two months at the Superbowl.

Payback for our first loss of the season.
Texans won't make it this year.
I don't think y'all would beat us anyway. We'd score 62 points and there would be nothing TJ Yates and Foster could do about it.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
The only way the Texans and Cowboys ever become rivals is if they play each other a few times in the Superbowl. That's the only way. They don't play each other enough times for any animosity to brew. The reason Dallas considers the Steelers a rival? Because they have met in the Superbowl a few times.

Until the Texans and Cowboys do that, there is no rivalry.

Oh, and since I'm not a sociopath like one member of this board, I'll happily say "Good Luck Texans!"
Maybe you should run for commissioner of the NFL.

You seem to have your own opinion & definition on what constitutes a "rival", possibly you could sign & seal it with your signature in the new rule book & make it official.

The Dallas Cowboys & Houston Texans are in state rivals.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM

93 posts, read 312,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The Texans are already hosting a home game in the playoffs. They won their division.
That is a given. We won our division. I said at least 1.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:15 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
LOL. We make fun of that stupid trophy on cowboyszone. Nobody cares about that cup.
I don't care about Britney Spears, but she is still a singer.

who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Texans won't make it this year.
I don't think y'all would beat us anyway. We'd score 62 points and there would be nothing TJ Yates and Foster could do about it.
we would spank your pansy drunk butts

Old 12-16-2011, 09:42 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
The only way the Texans and Cowboys ever become rivals is if they play each other a few times in the Superbowl. That's the only way. They don't play each other enough times for any animosity to brew. The reason Dallas considers the Steelers a rival? Because they have met in the Superbowl a few times.

Until the Texans and Cowboys do that, there is no rivalry.

Oh, and since I'm not a sociopath like one member of this board, I'll happily say "Good Luck Texans!"
THANK YOU!

You can say that about the 49ers as well since we've had history in the NFC East title. And we both have the same amount of Super Bowls. Even the Packers are more of a rival for the same reason.

It takes more than just being a couple hundred miles away from someone to be rivals.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:09 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Ever heard of the Governor's Cup???? Not much of a rivalry, but a rivalry nontheless
Actually, no, I haven't. All wiki has is a Cup for minor league baseball. I take it that it's an award for the winner of..preseason games between the Cowboys and Texans? I really have no idea, and I'm pretty well versed in Dallas sports. Whatever it is, no one up here cares about it.

Again: until the Texans and Cowboys have some contentious games in the post season (which can only be in the Superbowl) there will be no rivalry.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe you should run for commissioner of the NFL.

You seem to have your own opinion & definition on what constitutes a "rival", possibly you could sign & seal it with your signature in the new rule book & make it official.

The Dallas Cowboys & Houston Texans are in state rivals.
The Dallas Cowboys don't give a rat's ass what's going on in Houston. They will continue to not give a rat's ass until they have to play each other in important games. That will only happen for games where it's win or go home, ie, the playoffs.

The fact is that they do not play each other enough to form a real rivalry. They're not in the same conference. They don't care about each other in the slightest. Just because they're in the same state doesn't make them rivals.

I'd say the ONLY AFC team that could be called a Cowboys rivalry would be the Steelers. Why? Because they've played in the Superbowl a few times. That's the reason.

I'm curious though - are there ANY Texans fans outside of Matt here who actually thinks the Cowboys are a rival?

Old 12-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Here are the teams that Dallas would consider its rivals:

True, bona fide rivals:
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants.

Why? Because they've been playing in the same division for decades. They're constantly in direct competition with each other for the division championship. They play each other twice each year, which means they have had a chance to develop the most animosity for each other.

Historical rivals:
San Fransisco 49ers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

Why? Because these teams have had a history of great games in the playoffs. Of course, given that both the 49ers and the Cowboys have been mediocre to terrible for the past 15 years, these rivalries have died down. Without continued play against each other, it is hard to keep the animosity at a high level. For this reason, I'd say the rivalries have died down a fair bit.

And that's it. No other rivals. We could get new ones, but first we'd have to actually, you know, make the playoffs consistently.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Here are the teams that Dallas would consider its rivals:

True, bona fide rivals:
Washington Redskins
Philadelphia Eagles
New York Giants.

Why? Because they've been playing in the same division for decades. They're constantly in direct competition with each other for the division championship. They play each other twice each year, which means they have had a chance to develop the most animosity for each other.

Historical rivals:
San Fransisco 49ers
Pittsburgh Steelers
Green Bay Packers

Why? Because these teams have had a history of great games in the playoffs. Of course, given that both the 49ers and the Cowboys have been mediocre to terrible for the past 15 years, these rivalries have died down. Without continued play against each other, it is hard to keep the animosity at a high level. For this reason, I'd say the rivalries have died down a fair bit.

And that's it. No other rivals. We could get new ones, but first we'd have to actually, you know, make the playoffs consistently.
You can add the Cardinals as a historical rival.

If we were in the same division this season like we used to, that animosity would have built just a little more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston