Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM

7 posts, read 24,270 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a good DAN Doctor in the greater Houston area. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations. I am specifically looking for a Dr. who is well versed in anti-viral and chelation therapy. Has anyone ever used Dr. Pothuluri at the Clinic for Autism in Humble? I have also heard good things about Dr Kendal Stewart in Austin, but I'd rather stay local if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,928,877 times
What is a DAN Doctor? Serious question and good luck.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:22 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,760,052 times
For the OP good luck with your search.

For "buzzpost

Autism Doctor - What Is a Defeat Autism Now (DAN) Autism Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
What is a DAN Doctor? Serious question and good luck.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,012,785 times
chelation can be a hazardous medical procedure and has no scientific evidence for it improving symptoms of autism (or anything else). you can however have your child tested for lead poisoning in other ways.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:08 PM

22 posts, read 77,754 times
Try Dr. Arturo Volpe http://doctorvolpe.com he is over int he Rice area. I used hom when my daughter was first dx. Also there was an M.D. named Dr. Jody Caldwell. She was at the Saddler Clinic in Conroe but I dont think she is with them anymore, but google her and maybe you'll have some luck.

Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
Be careful about these docs. There are a lot of quacks out there.

Eidtorial #48: DAN Doctors Sued « Autism Politico

Science-Based Medicine » The autism “biomed” movement: Uncontrolled and unethical experimentation on autistic children

Note that some things like the gfcf diet are not going to do harm, but they can be extremely difficult to adhere to and the foods are expensive. You can do this without if you go Vegan, btw, but that isn't easy either. At any rate, changing the diet can help *if* a child has actual physical problems with his gut, but these are not caused by autism. The gut problems are co-morbid with the disorder.

Homeopathy is totally a waste of money as it is scientifically invalid. It probably won't do any harm except to your pocketbook.

Many of the other unproven therapies are extremely expensive and some, like chelation, are harmful.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:12 PM

22 posts, read 77,754 times
I would not recommend chelation for the same reasons mentioned here, but if you are looking to start a GFCF diet and if you plan on itemizing your taxes you may deduct the difference in cost of the GFCF diet if you can provide proof ( not that I have ever been asked by the IRS) of medical necessity , i.e. a script from a doctor.... also if you want it in the IEP etc... Does not necessarily have to be a DAN doctor, as long as you have a pediatrician that supports your choice... other than that easy to do the diet yourself and save a $$$$ consult fee.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM

834 posts, read 2,673,113 times
Please read this: How the "Urine Toxic Metals" Test Is Used to Defraud Patients

Old 10-28-2015, 12:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,066 times
Is hard to find one in Houston, there is no DAN doctors here I have been looking for one no luck , chiropractics, homeopathic and some other that advertise themselves like DANS or autism but they are not, be careful with wellness clinic is expensive no insurance take , cash only in advance but zero help, none Good Luck

Old 10-28-2015, 06:30 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,751,203 times
DAN! doctors are quacks usually

A Critical Look at Defeat Autism Now! and the "DAN! Protocol"

Quote:
In 2010, ARI announced that it had decided to stop using the name "Defeat Autism Now!" because (a) it did not accurately describe the medical approach to understanding and treating autism, (b) some people were offended by the phrase, and (c) the Divers' Alert Network, which claimed ownership of the word "DAN," had asked ARI to stop using it. ARI also announced that it had resolved to "freeze" the clinician registry and remove it from ARI's Web site because (a) although clinicians receive similar and consistent information at the seminars, there is no uniform way patients are subsequently treated, (b) although the registry merely listed people who had attended DAN!s clinical seminars, many people perceived the registry as a list of recommended doctors, and (c) ARI did not certify doctors and could not assure that every practitioner on the list provided high-quality service [23]. ARI also posted a notice that attendees were not entitled to refer to themselves as "DAN!-certified." But if you Google "'DAN!-certified' + autism," you will find that many do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston