U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 07:26 PM

15 posts, read 54,173 times
Default Dating in Houston....a single girl's question

Hi.
I am a 28 year old single female moving from NY to Houston. In NY online dating is pretty much the only way to date. People do not approach others in person and most people only rely on online dating. I looked on a couple of online dating sites and in Houston there do not seem to be many people on active on these sites.

1. How do people meet in Houston? (do people rely on online dating, get approached in person, or mostly meet in bars?)

2. I am Jewish (not religious AT ALL), would people in Houston be turned off to dating someone who is Jewish if they aren't Jewish?

Thanks for answering
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Status: "Character is what you do when no one is looking..." (set 22 days ago)

21,020 posts, read 22,187,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dh1120tchr View Post
Hi.
I am a 28 year old single female moving from NY to Houston. In NY online dating is pretty much the only way to date. People do not approach others in person and most people only rely on online dating. I looked on a couple of online dating sites and in Houston there do not seem to be many people on active on these sites.

1. How do people meet in Houston? (do people rely on online dating, get approached in person, or mostly meet in bars?)

2. I am Jewish (not religious AT ALL), would people in Houston be turned off to dating someone who is Jewish if they aren't Jewish?

Thanks for answering

... would people in NY be turned off to dating someone who is Jewish if they aren't Jewish?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:39 PM

432 posts, read 1,112,276 times
Just hit the bars like all the other losers. There is no exclusive way of meeting people in Houston. By the way, is everyone from NY moving the Houston?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 8,231 times
There is no real way to do it here. Online dating seems to be the way to do things now. If you go to a bar to pick up a date, you get the "bar" types (largely trash), they don't change no matter where you go. Pretty much the same thing with nightclubs, you get a certain kind of "date" when you go to those pits. If you're into low quality (both genders, doesn't matter) then by all means, go for it. If you are attractive, you'll have no problem getting hit on. But if you are looking for something serious, I wouldn't go to a bar or a nightclub.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:09 PM

101 posts, read 100,706 times
I met my husband at a bar and so did my cousin, we have outlasted lots of couples too. However, if I were you, there is a large Jewish community here-Bellaire area I am sure they have single get togethers and you'll meet people through parties I think you will like it here and meet a liberal guy who is Jewish and I think its easier for you to marry a Jewish guy for a happy future and kids, even if you two are not so into it, it helps I'm trying to not offend anyone, so sorry for the gibberish I think Jewish people are great, they help each other out a lot I used to live in Philadelphia and people are more laid back here

Old 12-31-2011, 07:00 AM

15 posts, read 54,173 times
It's the same way in NY with the type of people you meet in bars. I am trying to decide between Dallas and Houston and many people on the Dallas thread said that it is extremely common for people to just approach other people in person at like a coffee shop, supermarket, etc to ask out on a date. Does that typically happen in Houston?

Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM

30 posts, read 39,088 times
I'm originally from Dallas and I'm pretty sure that does not happen. Dallas and Houston are the same....def would not base my decision on this issue.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:48 PM

279 posts, read 243,061 times
Quote:
It's the same way in NY with the type of people you meet in bars. I am trying to decide between Dallas and Houston and many people on the Dallas thread said that it is extremely common for people to just approach other people in person at like a coffee shop, supermarket, etc to ask out on a date. Does that typically happen in Houston?
In Houston, yes. If you're cute, you could get hit on anywhere. Not sure why you're so worried about the "dating" scene. Just let it come naturally instead of trying to come up with some mastermind strategic plan to increase your odds. If worse comes to worse, place a profile on the online dating sights or craigslist with your picture if you are courageous enough.

Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM

223 posts, read 203,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
... would people in NY be turned off to dating someone who is Jewish if they aren't Jewish?
Given how conservative Texas is.....it's a very reasonable question posed by her I would think.

Especially coming from the northeast and how different the cultures are.

Didn't you see 'My cousin Vinny' ?

Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 PM

2,784 posts, read 4,115,423 times
Quote:
Hi.

Thanks for answering
Give some thought to Jdate or meeting some folks from the Young Adults Division at the JCC ((YAD) Young Adults Division). While I'm a married 30-something, orthodox guy married (with children) to a girl from Far Rockaway, I can tell you that I see many of my secular (Jewish) inter-married friends run in to problems once they have kids. This is not a question of tolerance, rather many people realize once they have kids how special their heritage is to them. It's confusing to the kids and a major stress on a marriage when people find out how hard it is to integrate that religious/cultural background in to an intermarried family (being Jewish is both, one is Jewish even if they do not practice the religion of Judaism). Whatever you decide though I wish you the best in your move and welcome to Houston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston