Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 PM

16 posts, read 51,065 times

Advertisements

Any info on which one is better builder (in the same subdivision), with respect to quality and price?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,583,955 times
Both good quality
I would prefer darling due.to.design and appearance.

Perry tends.to.just expand the same floor plan over.and over.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:18 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Check to see how many times they have had unresolved complaints or have been sued.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:29 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Most of the Perry homes that we looked at (under 300k) were very much the cookie cutter, box floor plan. There was very little architectural appeal in their designs, but they have a solid reputation in quality.

With that said, Darling has both quality and gobs of eye candy. They are different from most builders that we toured. Darling's floor plans have a very warm and cozy feel to them. They have a lot of little details that you normally don't see, such as rounded windows in closets and interesting bends between the living spaces that tend to give the layout a larger than normal feel. You really have to step into one of their model homes to get a feel for what I'm talking about...we wanted to buy one that day, but decided not to due to location.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:56 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,545 times
Perry will make very few changes to their floorplans. Darling will make custom changes for a fee. Darling will also offer more custom upgrades (cabinetry, appliances, etc.) to the interior than Perry will.

They're both good builders, but Perry is very conservative as far as what they will and will not do - change-wise.

If there is a floorplan for each builder that you really like, make sure that the Perry floorplan won't require any changes, especially anything that will change its footprint, because they probably won't allow it. If it's the Darling that will require changes, get a price up front. Otherwise, I'd compare apples-to-apples for what they both offer standard and make my decision. I know Darling charged extra for items that our Ryland Concerto series home had standard.

Old 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
I know both builders well. They both are solid, well-respected builders. But if it was my money, I would buy Darling.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:22 PM

16 posts, read 51,065 times
Thank you all! Appreciate all the input

Old 10-20-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,442 times
Default Darling Homes Review... Their not what they seem.

I just purchased my first home, a darling home. It is a semi-custom new build. Darling Homes are not what they seem. They make homes that certainly have a unique exterior design and look gorgeous from the outside. But really and truly the best quality for the home's interior goes into their model homes and I guess to certain residents. I don't know what the trend is for why some homes are beautiful and others are not (I dropped in on some of the other finished Darling homes for sale and noticed they were below par as well). I was not one of the lucky ones. Maybe the best is saved for customers that get tremendous grades. We got a good amount of upgrades so maybe it's just hit and miss with them because of all the different sub-contractors they use. I know they use different sub-contractors because I've had different people come by to fix the same issues that happen over and over again cause they do not get fixed correctly. I have not been able to enjoy my home properly since we closed. Actually I feel really, really stupid for spending so much money.
It may have been Darling used to be about high quality, integrity and customer experience and that's what you paying for, but I have not experienced this that with my purchase.

I hope our experience helps you or any other home seeker.

P.S: Our home is in the Dallas Austin Waters subdivision.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrohani47 View Post
I just purchased my first home, a darling home. It is a semi-custom new build. Darling Homes are not what they seem. They make homes that certainly have a unique exterior design and look gorgeous from the outside. But really and truly the best quality for the home's interior goes into their model homes and I guess to certain residents. I don't know what the trend is for why some homes are beautiful and others are not (I dropped in on some of the other finished Darling homes for sale and noticed they were below par as well). I was not one of the lucky ones. Maybe the best is saved for customers that get tremendous grades. We got a good amount of upgrades so maybe it's just hit and miss with them because of all the different sub-contractors they use. I know they use different sub-contractors because I've had different people come by to fix the same issues that happen over and over again cause they do not get fixed correctly. I have not been able to enjoy my home properly since we closed. Actually I feel really, really stupid for spending so much money.
It may have been Darling used to be about high quality, integrity and customer experience and that's what you paying for, but I have not experienced this that with my purchase.

I hope our experience helps you or any other home seeker.

P.S: Our home is in the Dallas Austin Waters subdivision.
You found this website, signed up, and your first and only post is anti-Darling? Why?

Ronnie

Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,595,702 times
I personally would choose Darling Homes over Perry Homes for the simple fact that Darling Homes are not your average cookie cutter designs like Perry Homes. Perry Homes tends to extend their existing floor plans and this is a reflection in all their models. Staging plays a big part in some buyers decision and Perry Homes seems to keep their model homes to the bare minimum. Which community are you looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston