Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:47 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times

Advertisements

If you have never lived in Houston, we will all tell you to buy flood insurance for your home (whether it is required or not). It is inexpensive if not required (~$388/yr). Anyone in Houston can get water in their home if we get enough rain in a short enough period -- and you don't have to be right on the coast for it to happen.

Although events like tropical storm Allison are rare, they do happen and most likely will happen again in the future. You may not hear of it because unlike other cities - celebrities aren't out there running to our aid or even concerned about us when something devastating happens. We may make a blurb on national news for one evening and that's it. No entertainer is running to hold a benefit to help provide you funds to rebuild.

People ask why we don't have basements, should I buy this home, should I buy in this area, etc. Some homes designated as flood zones have NEVER flooded, while others that may not be in a designated flood zone take on water. A storm deluge is unpredictable - better safe than sorry.

Here is a video from the Weather Channel on Allison - of course it is dramatic and scary but the main thing to take from it, is just how flooded Houston can get in these once in a lifetime storms. [vimeo]65510993[/vimeo]
Storm Stories: Tropical Storm Allison Houston Texas 2001 on Vimeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 PM

8 posts, read 11,300 times
Thanks for informing us that may be new to the area. Would you recommend apartment renters get flood insurance as well, or is this the management responsibility? My lease does not seem to have anything about floods in it.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,119,709 times
Check with your renters' insurance company. Renter's insurance covers contents only - am not sure if you can add for flood - or already covered. Don't worry if you are on a second floor or above.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:18 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times
I'd only worry if I were on a first floor apt that had a previous history of flooding and if the area has had issues with flooding in the past or if you live overlooking a bayou. But if we have torrential rains - too many inches in too little time, if the streets are flooding - please don't try and drive through them. It's not worth the risk to yourself or your vehicle. Pull over someplace high and dry and let it drain off. If you opt not to buy flood insurance for your home and want to wait until you think there is a risk, you can't buy it if there is a storm in the Gulf. Insurers will not provide new insurance while there is an active storm out there.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,221,191 times
My parents (SE Tx) were flooded with a few feet of rank, fetid water from hurricane Ike. That was enough to persuade me. It was really sad to stay in their FEMA trailer and watch the house get gutted. But everything was paid for by insurance. It was even sadder to see the people who had no flood insurance.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:56 PM

8 posts, read 11,300 times
Great, yeah I am renting a 5th floor apartment so I won't likely have to worry about all that. Is the Rice University/TMC area known to flood? I'm used to driving through snow and ice instead, not so much floods so this will be something new to learn.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,017,770 times
yeah that area floods, but houston also spent a lot of money around the med center to prevent it from getting as bad as it was. during allison people died in that area and it was one of the worst flooded

Old 09-18-2013, 07:56 AM

366 posts, read 793,244 times
Depending on where you live in accordance to flood zones, flood insurance is going to skyrocket. How high? Worse case could be up to 3000%. Feds no longer want to subsidize those in flood prone zones as drawn out by the latest FEMA maps.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 AM

58 posts, read 100,962 times
I do not live in a flood zone and mine is $412 a year. However it is max coverage of 250k which is only 60% of my total rebuild cost. I can't get better coverage now. I am hoping my rates will come down and that I can get a little more coverage once this subsidy thing goes away.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:59 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,537,500 times
*Some* new subdivisions are built higher than the surrounding land so to me its kind of stupid to buy flood insurance. especially when the exaggerated floodmaps doesnt say the whole subdivision is in a flood zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston