U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-16-2012, 01:46 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,503,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I spent the weekend driving around the suburbs of Houston, I had an opportunity that professionally I had a lot of interest in, but had to make sure it was a good fit personally so I went to visit.

If you read my other post you know I have 3 kids, twin 6 year olds and a 2 year old. I currently live in Western Massachusets on a Golf Course with over an acre of land.

Here are my thoughts of Houston-

The Bad (No offense to those that live there, I am hoping I help others)
- Power lines are everywhere, I just could not get over it.
- Billboard after billboard, they should have restrictions on these.
- Flat as can be and outside of communities there is little to see beside Industry and Stores
- I thought the Communities would be similar to Atlanta and Charlotte, my 2 cents is they are not even close to as nice
- So much land everywhere and they choose to give such small lots, I just do not get it. This was a huge negative for me, you have absolutely no privacy. Today I have just over an acre and no neighbor in front or behind me.
- Homes are not built to the standards I expected, I was looking at $600k homes and they had 4 inch faucets in the bathrooms, cheap windows, many had cheap door hardware, and the HUGE surprise was NONE had nice kitchen or bathrooms. They looked nice, but when you pull a drawer or 2 out they have those CHEAP metal drawer glides and they are made of cheap materials, something I would not even put in a garage.

The Good
- Everyone was nice as can be
- Katy to me was the nicest area I found. I thought I would like Cypress, but I did not like it at all.

I am so glad I went down for the weekend, it absolutely gave me a new appreciation for what I currently have.

Thank you all again for your advice
Thanks for coming. Have fun in your 15 degree winter weather!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,775,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I have said this many times on various boards about feeders. They really do damage to the Image of the cities in Texas. I hate them very much because they are ugly.
This is from Texasfreeway.com. The image is basically the same all over the state and its depressing. It really sucks that build our cities around the interaction of cars and not the interaction of humans.

Not to mention, they are dangerous. People act as if they are freeway themselves. Maybe Houston needs to put a wall on I 45 like Miami did with I 95.
LMAO! I passed this today.

How old is this picture because on the right there's a Toys R'Us sign and there hasn't been a Toys R'Us in that strip in YEARS. And the Best Buy sign on the left has been gone forever too. They need to update to like past the new millennium.

Edit: Ok, I looked that up and I knew it was an old as crap picture. May 2001. It was still safe to travel the skies without going though 100000000 gates and pat downs. Wow, that was a long time ago. And they seriously need to update. Pics of Beltway construction? Really. It's 2012.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:53 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,503,145 times
I hate whiners. Don't like it...don't come back.
You live here and don't like it...move out.

Simple as that.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 AM

10,311 posts, read 10,758,506 times
Lighten up.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:01 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,775,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Lighten up.
Really! And people say Houston folks are nice. For every nice person, there's a person like Nyer. Since you're so gunho on Houston why aren't you Houstoner75 now?

I think OP's opinions are valid.

People always say come down and drive around to see for yourself. He did that and spoke the good and the bad.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:03 AM

I've gotten the "Come visit" message millions of times. I'm over it.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 AM

3,596 posts, read 4,314,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The suburbs are ugly, because there's no natural beauty to most of the area. Inside the loop isn't ugly to me, Houston has very pretty areas. Immediately around my complex is ugly I guess but a few clicks north and I'm in TMC and it's far from ugly.

Ive been exploring Houston. Inside the loop of Houston is hideous. The Northside of Houston is decent. If I move to Houston the Northside is the only part of Houston I would live.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:44 AM

I guess it's to each its own.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:19 AM

3,351 posts, read 1,328,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
14Bricks that was a useful post. Have you ever been to the North-East? If you have you would know exactly what I am talking about.

Everyone has there own opinion, I am sharing mine.
I grew up in the Northeast and went to college in Texas.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

You went to Texas with preconcieved notions that some loser that you met who heard from another loser that Texas was blankity- blank and never tried to be openminded there.

The funny thing that many people notice including me is that Northeasterners HATE Texas based 90% of the time on heresay and no real life experience. (Not surprising because the Northeast is very provincial)

..... but Texans dont hate the Northeast

Says something about that open minded and accepting thing that people in Mass think they invented

Old 01-16-2012, 05:50 AM

3,161 posts, read 2,267,386 times
Im a little surprised theres so much Atlanta love here, every time I go there I swear I'll never do it again.
Its always been the armpit of the south, What changed ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston