Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 06:20 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
You checked out soem of the least desirable places in what appears to be the Houston exurbs.

Did you check out:
-Kingwood
-The Woodlands
-Katy
-Sugar Land
-Clear Lake
or any of the other actual suburbs of Houston?
Only needs to visit one.. the rest are just copies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 06:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
Only needs to visit one.. the rest are just copies...

Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM

561 posts, read 972,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownGirlie View Post
I'm trying to understand the budget. $600K barely buys a closet in the Northeast, let alone an upscale home. In Houston, for that price, you can get a home in the nicest part of town, or build a home to your own specifications in the 'burbs.
Some people love the convenience of the Northeast.. only a few hours from 3 or 4 of the biggest cities in the country. And I think the OP was trying to explain that for the $600k home that can be bought wasn't of the quality that he wanted, and I can see what he's saying, houses in Houston are made cheap and fast contributing to the lower price.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 PM

254 posts, read 522,082 times
Quote:
Some people love the convenience of the Northeast.. only a few hours from 3 or 4 of the biggest cities in the country. And I think the OP was trying to explain that for the $600k home that can be bought wasn't of the quality that he wanted, and I can see what he's saying, houses in Houston are made cheap and fast contributing to the lower price.
You are correct, that and the small lots were two of the biggest contributing factors. You may not understand what I mean by cheaply built homes, I am in that industry so I can see it a mile away. It is unfortunate those builders do not put a little more into the homes. It costs a lot more to build a home in the North due to codes and labor is a lot more expensive, I would imagine the land up here is as well, and builders still use much higher quality materials up here in that price range. Some examples- Frameless shower door with thick glass, Spray Insulation in walls, Anderson or Equivelent windows, Real Granite through-out the home (All baths and Kitchen), Hardwood through-out (Just about every home I looked at had Cheap carpet in the upstairs and Bedrooms), Soft close kitchen drawers in bathrooms and Kitchen, Kohler or equivelent fixtures, All homes have full basements up here (Huge additional cost).

Up here where the economy hit harder builders that were all about profit all went out of business, the ones that have made it through build a great home and based on my experience bend over backwards for their buyers before and after the sale.

Just my 2 cents

Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownGirlie View Post
I'm trying to understand the budget. $600K barely buys a closet in the Northeast, let alone an upscale home. In Houston, for that price, you can get a home in the nicest part of town, or build a home to your own specifications in the 'burbs.
I would not call my home a Closet, see earlier post that shows my neighborhood, my home was $600K and it is well built, 3500 square feet not including the 1200 square feet in the finished basement, so actually 4700 square feet. I have half the basement (Another 1400 square feet) left for storage. Live on one of the Top 50 rated Public Golf Coarses in the US, have over an acre of land, I could go on and on. Heated floors in bathroom, Spray-in insulation, 2 fireplaces, hardwood through-out except the basement where I picked high end carpet. Jeldwen windows, Central Vac, Fresh Air system, alarm system. No neighbor behind or in front of me, Gated community.

I am not trying to gloat, but it is obvious you have no idea what you are talking about. You are correct many areas of the North-East are very expensive, but based on what I saw in Texas its not as far apart as you may think.

Keep in mind the economy kit us harder, my neighbor paid $150k more 18 months earlier than I did for similar type home.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detiah View Post
Also, not to be mean but it seems that there are plenty of power lines on your street leading up to the golf course

65 Sunnyside Road Southwick, MA 01077 - Google Maps
Those are what we have on the main roads, to me their is a big difference between that and those tremendous things down there. It could absolutely be just that I am used to those kind instead of the ones I saw down that way.

For what it is worth we also have billboards, but only in Cities for the most part.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM

These absolutely would have been better, I know Conroe would have been tough based on where my office would have been, it was in the North-West part of 8.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,898 times
Quote:

What's your point" If you live in Houston you are 3-4 hours from 3 of the nation's top ten biggest cities. (Houston, San Antonio & Dallas) plus a drive away from New Orleans. Plus the city is centrally located with easy air access to either coast and the Chicago area.

$600,000 can get you a nice home in a really nice inner city neighborhood (West U, Bellaire, Houston Heights, etc.) a really nice town house inside the loop or a humongous house in a suburb or exurb of your choice.

The OP came unprepared, uneducated, and quickly jumped to conclusions based on expectations from what or where I do not know.

Also OP, don't say you visited places far out in the exurbs and then say you don't like HOUSTON. The true HOUSTON is really anything inside the loop. By the time you get out of the beltway you are not really going to find anything representative of the city other than freeways and suburbanites who only like to commute back and forth.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
What's your point" If you live in Houston you are 3-4 hours from 3 of the nation's top ten biggest cities. (Houston, San Antonio & Dallas) plus a drive away from New Orleans. Plus the city is centrally located with easy air access to either coast and the Chicago area.

$600,000 can get you a nice home in a really nice inner city neighborhood (West U, Bellaire, Houston Heights, etc.) a really nice town house inside the loop or a humongous house in a suburb or exurb of your choice.

The OP came unprepared, uneducated, and quickly jumped to conclusions based on expectations from what or where I do not know.

Also OP, don't say you visited places far out in the exurbs and then say you don't like HOUSTON. The true HOUSTON is really anything inside the loop. By the time you get out of the beltway you are not really going to find anything representative of the city other than freeways and suburbanites who only like to commute back and forth.
3 of the Top ten does not make them comparable to Boston and NY, but I am not a City person, that is the point some of you do not seem to get. I never said I didn't like Houston, I never even went in Houston. I am and always will be a Suburb type person so that is what I looked at. All of the research I did here and on line lead me to the places I went, the only one I planned to go to and did not was The Woodlands. It is what it is, maybe I would have been happy if I looked around more, I did not have the time to do so and didn't want to hold the position from being filled.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
OP gave his honest assessment and is doing what's best for him & his family.

Houston didn't appeal to him. Nothing wrong with that.

Why accuse him of being "unprepared and uneducated" among other things?

People are way too sensitive when they think their city is being maligned - even when some of those assessments actually ARE true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston