U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
 
213 posts, read 260,195 times
Reputation: 118
Default Just got back from my Weekend in Houston, looks like I am staying put in the North-East.............

I spent the weekend driving around the suburbs of Houston, I had an opportunity that professionally I had a lot of interest in, but had to make sure it was a good fit personally so I went to visit.

If you read my other post you know I have 3 kids, twin 6 year olds and a 2 year old. I currently live in Western Massachusets on a Golf Course with over an acre of land.

Here are my thoughts of Houston-

The Bad (No offense to those that live there, I am hoping I help others)
- Power lines are everywhere, I just could not get over it.
- Billboard after billboard, they should have restrictions on these.
- Flat as can be and outside of communities there is little to see beside Industry and Stores
- I thought the Communities would be similar to Atlanta and Charlotte, my 2 cents is they are not even close to as nice
- So much land everywhere and they choose to give such small lots, I just do not get it. This was a huge negative for me, you have absolutely no privacy. Today I have just over an acre and no neighbor in front or behind me.
- Homes are not built to the standards I expected, I was looking at $600k homes and they had 4 inch faucets in the bathrooms, cheap windows, many had cheap door hardware, and the HUGE surprise was NONE had nice kitchen or bathrooms. They looked nice, but when you pull a drawer or 2 out they have those CHEAP metal drawer glides and they are made of cheap materials, something I would not even put in a garage.


The Good
- Everyone was nice as can be
- Katy to me was the nicest area I found. I thought I would like Cypress, but I did not like it at all.


I am so glad I went down for the weekend, it absolutely gave me a new appreciation for what I currently have.

Thank you all again for your advice
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Houston
1,439 posts, read 3,383,747 times
Reputation: 400
Well good luck with everything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM
 
1,437 posts, read 1,661,612 times
Reputation: 1160
Developers of these large subdivisions max their profits by making small lots and quick builds. To find what you're looking for, you need to have a custom builder on your own private lot outside of those subdivisions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,727 posts, read 8,223,555 times
Reputation: 4988
Looks like you didn't do you're homework. You won't find many high quality homes in the suburbs..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Houston (Memorial) and Western NC
8,874 posts, read 14,904,801 times
Reputation: 4009
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Developers of these large subdivisions max their profits by making small lots and quick builds. To find what you're looking for, you need to have a custom builder on your own private lot outside of those subdivisions.
I've noticed that the more expensive homes in the planned communities don't have much that better product than the basic 300k house.Appliance and counters are a slight upgrade, but still most put a crappy GE package in a 850k house. They are just bigger, have a slightly larger lots and do some faux painting somewhere. Maybe you even get a faux lake for the 800k+ category. And without a doubt, the extra bedrooms and baths are like filing cabinets.

To the OP:Too bad you limited your search to master planned areas outside the city. But, on the flip it's made you appreciate what you have, and that's always a good thing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM
 
207 posts, read 297,430 times
Reputation: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
I spent the weekend driving around the suburbs of Houston, I had an opportunity that professionally I had a lot of interest in, but had to make sure it was a good fit personally so I went to visit.

If you read my other post you know I have 3 kids, twin 6 year olds and a 2 year old. I currently live in Western Massachusets on a Golf Course with over an acre of land.

Here are my thoughts of Houston-

The Bad (No offense to those that live there, I am hoping I help others)
- Power lines are everywhere, I just could not get over it.
- Billboard after billboard, they should have restrictions on these.
- Flat as can be and outside of communities there is little to see beside Industry and Stores
- I thought the Communities would be similar to Atlanta and Charlotte, my 2 cents is they are not even close to as nice
- So much land everywhere and they choose to give such small lots, I just do not get it. This was a huge negative for me, you have absolutely no privacy. Today I have just over an acre and no neighbor in front or behind me.
- Homes are not built to the standards I expected, I was looking at $600k homes and they had 4 inch faucets in the bathrooms, cheap windows, many had cheap door hardware, and the HUGE surprise was NONE had nice kitchen or bathrooms. They looked nice, but when you pull a drawer or 2 out they have those CHEAP metal drawer glides and they are made of cheap materials, something I would not even put in a garage.


The Good
- Everyone was nice as can be
- Katy to me was the nicest area I found. I thought I would like Cypress, but I did not like it at all.


I am so glad I went down for the weekend, it absolutely gave me a new appreciation for what I currently have.

Thank you all again for your advice
You are smart that you did your homework. Moving here is a downgrade from what you are use to on the east coast. Mass as a state has a better public school system. Most schools do compared to Texas. For $600,000 on a home you will not get your money's worth in Texas and you would be paying a fortune in property taxes. People who think Texas is the greatest thing are speaking from a place of not living anywhere else outside of Texas so they have nothing to compare it to or folks are fine with what they are getting which isn't much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
7,385 posts, read 4,180,954 times
Reputation: 7336
Sounds like you should stay where you're at. God only knows we don't need more whiny people from the east coast.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
 
213 posts, read 260,195 times
Reputation: 118
Thanks for the replies, it absolutely made me appreciate what I have.

I did do my homework, we are not City people, we hate the City. Suburbs was the only choice.

I agree with the post about $600k just gets you a bigger home, they do not upgrade other things. Those builders are making a good profit, no wonder why they can afford all those Billboards and Fancy brochures. I even went in a few $800k homes in Cinco and they didn't even have nice cabinets. Drawers should be soft close full 3/4 wood with dovetail construction in the Kitchens and the Baths. If they skimp on this stuff I can only imagine what they skimp on the stuff you can not see.

I can not stand Toll Brothers, that is the HUGE builder we have up here that appears similar to some of the ones I walked through, my last 3 homes were built by a local family business builders, they only build 3-4 houses a year. They have pride in there work and are on site 100% of the time. I guess I could have gotten that down that way, but not in a Community.

Not one house that I saw being put up had any "Builder" Supervision.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 04:27 PM
 
213 posts, read 260,195 times
Reputation: 118
14Bricks that was a useful post. Have you ever been to the North-East? If you have you would know exactly what I am talking about.

Everyone has there own opinion, I am sharing mine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Houston
473 posts, read 394,097 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Sounds like you should stay where you're at. God only knows we don't need more whiny people from the east coast.
Was this necessary? Houston is just not for the OP. It's not for everyone just like the north east wouldn't be to everyone's taste. We don't need rude people either. Lighten up.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top