U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,349,556 times

Advertisements

From Chron.com HISD awards 2012: Who received how much? | K-12 Zone | a Chron.com blog

You can type in your kids teacher or school to pull up figures. I typed in a few and noticed some decent sized bonuses of $6k-8k for some teachers and schools. On average most received $3k bonuses.

A nice incentive for teachers for our underpaid teachers. Don't you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM

8,981 posts, read 15,681,311 times
"The bulk of the award is based on a measure of student performance called value-added analysis. Using a complicated statistical formula, the analysis estimates whether students performed better or worse than expected on standardized tests given their past exam scores. It does not matter if students passed the tests but that they improved"

Complicated Statistical formula= Who got their kids to pass the TAKS???

Low expectations..it's a shame. But somewhere in that bunch, there are teachers that really do try to get through to the kids, so I'm glad they got a little something extra.And if a teacher is truly teaching, kids will pass. A 60 isn't hard.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

460 posts, read 648,314 times
Quote:
It does not matter if students passed the tests but that they improved"
Improvement *is* a big deal, and I have enough experience with the education system to know that in certain areas of the city X number of kids will probably never pass. There is only so much a school and its teachers can do for a kid, after that it's up to the kid him/herself and their parents.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM

105 posts, read 24,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
From Chron.com HISD awards 2012: Who received how much? | K-12 Zone | a Chron.com blog

You can type in your kids teacher or school to pull up figures. I typed in a few and noticed some decent sized bonuses of $6k-8k for some teachers and schools. On average most received $3k bonuses.

A nice incentive for teachers for our underpaid teachers. Don't you think.
You'd have to pay me more than that to work in the WAR ZONE called HISD. What a hell hole.

Parents are the reason for most people's success. Can you really expect a person coming from a non-english speaking, uneducated family to do as well as someone whose parents are doctors, lawyers and engineers?

Of course not!

These lousy parents rarely show up for parent teacher conferences and or open houses. Lets stop being politcial correct and let the truth out. These kids need so much help it is insane.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,536,042 times
HISD has some really great high ranking schools. your bigot is showing

- engineering and educated couple in HISD

Old 01-25-2012, 06:45 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,778,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
HISD has some really great high ranking schools. your bigot is showing

- engineering and educated couple in HISD
Not really.

Of course some school are "great" Bellaire HS, Lamar ( I think, I'm not sure)
I'm sure Kashmere, Jones and Davis HS are on par with Bellaire

Yates HS is excellent

As of 2006 many middle and upper class residents of the Westbury attendance zone do not send their children to Westbury; usually they send their children to Bellaire High School, Lamar High School, or private schools.[17][18]

But, I though HISD was so excellent? Are your kids zoned to the right school or are you sending them to a top ranked school in HISD?

High school is one thing but the elementary and middle schools are filled with what 50-70% ESL. Come on. Be real here.

The majority aren't great. Of course a couple zoned to the ritzy areas in the Loop are going to be better. But the majority are mostly low income students to immigrants/children of illegals.

Calling someone a bigot when you KNOW the facts have some merit is wrong. As a WHOLE HISD isn't great. How many schools are in that district? Lots. Let's say 10 are top notch.

If there's say 50-60 divided up through elem, middle and HS that's not good. That's basically the whole district being not so good. Which is HISD. Most districts have a few not so good schools but as a whole the district is good. Look at Klein. People always harp on Forest being the bad seed of the district but overall through the other schools elem-HS it's overall pretty good.

90% of HISD is warzone not happening. That's just a true fact whether your kids go to a nice school that your gentrified neighborhood is zoned to. Of maybe it's 80% but it's over 70% I know that.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:11 PM

638 posts, read 678,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k28mas View Post
You'd have to pay me more than that to work in the WAR ZONE called HISD. What a hell hole.

Parents are the reason for most people's success. Can you really expect a person coming from a non-english speaking, uneducated family to do as well as someone whose parents are doctors, lawyers and engineers?

Of course not!

These lousy parents rarely show up for parent teacher conferences and or open houses. Lets stop being politcial correct and let the truth out. These kids need so much help it is insane.
You are kidding right?

Well, all I have to say is I'm so glad that the administrators and teachers at my kids' schools don't have that kind of give-up attitude. Eastwood Academy, which is an HISD school, a title 1 school, and 98% hispanic school, is ranked 37th in the nation. So much for your elitist theory.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:28 PM

2,628 posts, read 2,536,042 times
I called them a bigot because they tried to make this thread into a negative discussion about immigrant children.

as a human, i say keep the kids off limits

to be on point - a state workers salary and pay is public record. i'd imagine they'd have some way to keep bonuses secret. probably reasons for that. there is a texas database where you can enter the name of any state employee and see their job classification and pay. Kind of crummy if you are a lowly paid worker but at least the next time someone goes "ughhh but you get paid so much" you can point them to the link and say "what now?"

Old 01-26-2012, 01:05 AM

915 posts, read 735,383 times
Jones, Sterling, Lee, Westbury, Milby, Sam Houston, Madison, etc. used to be white and Kashmere Gardens was the first integrated school in HISD..North Forest ISD was for rural whites before they left...

maybe if they stop running we can solve the problem..

Old 01-26-2012, 07:00 AM

107 posts, read 80,702 times
Are you saying that white people are the only ones that can solve this problem?
I'm not sure I am following the logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston