Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:27 PM

169 posts, read 450,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac88 View Post
We live in Mansfield, TX which is in the DFW area. We love it. It is just outside Arlington and Ft Worth, but it still has a small town feel. The schools are great as well.

Is there anything comparable to that in the eastern suburbs of Houston/Baytown? I am up for the commute, if it is no longer than 75 minutes.

Thanks.
Well from what you are saying , you should look into Winnie, Anahuac, & Mont Belvieu all three towns have the small town feel and good schools. Anahuac is the smallest and most secluded. Winnie is the closest to Beaumont, & Mont Belvieu, though it is farthest from Beaumont of the the three is close to more stores & shops, with extremely good schools, and has a commute of about 45 minutes without traffic.

I live in the Mont Belvieu area (Beach City) and have family in the Beaumont area so I make the trip often, the traffic isn't bad along I-10 and if you ever have a problem on I-10 the trip only takes about 30 more minutes on Hwy 90.

The reason I have left Baytown out of this list is it is basically a gigantic urban sprawl that isn't that desirable of a place to live, just a place to shop for area residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
I am considering a job in Beaumont. I have heard terrible things about living in Beaumont. Are there any areas east of Houston that are around a 1 hour commute to Beaumont that are worth considering?

We live in Mansfield, TX which is in the DFW area. We love it. It is just outside Arlington and Ft Worth, but it still has a small town feel. The schools are great as well.

Is there anything comparable to that in the eastern suburbs of Houston/Baytown? I am up for the commute, if it is no longer than 75 minutes.

Thanks.
I am from the Beaumont/Pt Arthur/Orange area, and while I am not anxious to move back, there are some good communities listed by above posters - Lumberton, Nederland, parts of Beaumont, and even some places in Orange county (just not Orange itself). Mont Belvieu would be a great choice, but seriously there are some decent places in the Golden Triangle that don't incur a long, treacherous (ongoing construction on I-10) commute to Beaumont. Being from that area, and watching an old friend from work commute from Clear Lake to Pt. Arthur, I would really vote against living closer to Houston if you work in Beaumont. We do get flash floods around here, and it's better to get caught near civilization when that happens, not way out on a bleak interstate.

By the way, is there still a Weinerschnitzel http://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ in Mansfield? Had to make a u-turn and stop on the way back from Ft Worth 2 years ago.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 PM

385 posts, read 967,886 times
Liberty might be a good half way point.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Mont Belvieu would be a great choice, but seriously there are some decent places in the Golden Triangle that don't incur a long, treacherous (ongoing construction on I-10) commute to Beaumont. Being from that area, and watching an old friend from work commute from Clear Lake to Pt. Arthur, I would really vote against living closer to Houston if you work in Beaumont.
I have firsthand experience with it and I agree it's a treacherous drive:

Fog, smoke spur 79-car pileup near Port Arthur - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 AM

4 posts, read 18,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I am from the Beaumont/Pt Arthur/Orange area, and while I am not anxious to move back, there are some good communities listed by above posters - Lumberton, Nederland, parts of Beaumont, and even some places in Orange county (just not Orange itself). Mont Belvieu would be a great choice, but seriously there are some decent places in the Golden Triangle that don't incur a long, treacherous (ongoing construction on I-10) commute to Beaumont. Being from that area, and watching an old friend from work commute from Clear Lake to Pt. Arthur, I would really vote against living closer to Houston if you work in Beaumont. We do get flash floods around here, and it's better to get caught near civilization when that happens, not way out on a bleak interstate.

By the way, is there still a http://www.wienerschnitzel.com/ in Mansfield? Had to make a u-turn and stop on the way back from Ft Worth 2 years ago.
Thanks for the good info. Yes, there is still a Wienerschnitzel in Mansfield.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 18,000 times
Thanks for all the responses. I have to make a decision within a couple of weeks. We are mostly concerned with schools. We have a 4 yr old, so we are concerned with the elementary schools.

From what I have read, it sounds like Lumberton has the best schools in the Beaumont area. Is this correct?

I would really like to live closer to Houston, but the consensus seems to be against it due to traffic.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Lumberton is said to be one of the best areas around the Triangle. On the other hand, it's also rumored to be a bit klannish, and I read multiple sources that said something like 30-40% of the kids there are on free lunch @ school. Not sure that's really a great sign. But there are some very nice homes up there.

Aside from the west end of Beaumont, you might want to give Nederland a look.

Unfortunately all the towns around there that are not Beaumont = podunk, while Port Arthur is the hood with some really awful, eye-opening poverty.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM

34 posts, read 52,924 times
There are actually some high end neighborhoods in Beaumont. I worked as a merchandiser for Nestle going into all the grocery stores last year. My son also worked on a construction crew for some of those nicer neighborhoods and believe me, they are nice!

There's a huge HEB and Kroger over off of Dowlen Street that seemed to attract the more high income crowds, so I would assume that the subdivisions are not too far from there.

The nice places are there and Beaumont has been hosting alot of the big name musical groups lately also.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. I have to make a decision within a couple of weeks. We are mostly concerned with schools. We have a 4 yr old, so we are concerned with the elementary schools.

From what I have read, it sounds like Lumberton has the best schools in the Beaumont area. Is this correct?

I would really like to live closer to Houston, but the consensus seems to be against it due to traffic.
Beaumont has a private high school that is very highly regarded, but I am told it is $$$.

Lumberton is definitely one of the better areas.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:21 PM

157 posts, read 577,985 times
I would visit Beaumont and form your own opinion. I grew up on the west end & liked it a lot. Lots of my friends moved back & started families there (something we never thought would happen years ago). What bad things have you heard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston