Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 06:39 AM

480 posts, read 1,698,669 times

Advertisements

Here in Pearland they are arrested if they don't have a solicitation permit, issued by the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:01 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
That is what I found out too that if a neighborhood has a no soliciting sign posted, that you can call the police and they can pick them up for soliciting w/o a permit. I hate to see someone go to jail for having a crummy job though..........too bad you can't call and the police will just come tell them they have to go away like a warning. But then it is hard to distinguish who is knocking on your door for a legit job they have or who is knocking on the door pretending to be sales hoping you will open so they can force there way in. I never answer anyway, I just talk through the door but hard to determine when to call police.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM

105 posts, read 111,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timnwendy View Post
Here in Pearland they are arrested if they don't have a solicitation permit, issued by the city.
Most of the time police have more important things to do with their time. The only solicitors that normally get arrested are ones that have a warrant for their arrest. Most of the time the police either give a warning or issue a citation/fine.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:48 PM

168 posts, read 470,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Anyone still get these Kirby vacuum people coming to their doors???? They still come around occasionally but lately the police have been picking them up because they typically don't have a permit to solicit. What does your community do about this type solicitation?
Solicitors are like Vultures! There was an armed robbery in my neighborhood that was recently televised and the next day we had several representatives from alarm companies trying to sell us all alarms. even after I told them I already had one they still pushed thier systems.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:16 PM

833 posts, read 1,886,018 times
Alarm companies are the worse, when you buy a new house you have at least 5 of them knocking on your door.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
We have no soliciting signs in the neighborhood yet they still come. "Hi, we're doing the ____'s carpet cleaning/floors/etc"

Okay and? Don't come give us your flier. That's soliciting

We have those too and it doesn't work either. I even had a sign on my door and it still doesn't work. If it keeps happening I may call the cops and hope they get ticketed.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
If they don't have a permit and the neighborhood is marked no solicitation they can be arrested.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:28 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Don't ignore them, or the next thing you know - - someone is coming through your back window, thinking nobody is home. Just talk through your door w/o opening.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

41 posts, read 96,017 times
I agree with the above poster. There have been many break ins in my area and they almost always knock first. When they dont get a response they go to the back and break in. So if you dont want to answer the door, just holler ouf " no thanks" or " go away" etc. At least it warns them you are home.q

Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,053,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwgto View Post
Don't ignore them, or the next thing you know - - someone is coming through your back window, thinking nobody is home. Just talk through your door w/o opening.
Good idea. Next time I might just pass by and wave bye to them. You never know what criminals might be up to.

I don't mind the door tags or flyers. Sometimes they have restaurant info from a place I've wanted to try, or local info. If not, I can just throw it away. I DON'T like the solicitors knocking. They always catch me at a bad time and I never really ever want to talk to them. It must work though, because they keep soliciting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston