Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The thing is that Cinco Ranch does not have any ties to Katy-town except for the mailing address. Most people work, shop, and play within Cinco Ranch/South Katy and Houston, so it would make sense to keep it within Houston's sphere of influence.
The tie is education cinco is called katy area because of the school district which is a strong tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The thing is that Cinco Ranch does not have any ties to Katy-town except for the mailing address. Most people work, shop, and play within Cinco Ranch/South Katy and Houston, so it would make sense to keep it within Houston's sphere of influence.
They may not identify with the COK really, but they do identify with the "Katy area". They go to the Katy school district, drive on the Katy freeway, mailing address is Katy. You never know. Things like that have happened before. As far as identifying with Houston, I think most of the suburbs do. Houston is the only big city.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
They may not identify with the COK really, but they do identify with the "Katy area". They go to the Katy school district, drive on the Katy freeway, mailing address is Katy. You never know. Things like that have happened before. As far as identifying with Houston, I think most of the suburbs do. Houston is the only big city.
Katy Area means little today.

It is a huge area in terms of land and population and has little to no connection to the original city.

Like Spring, Cypress, Atascocita, etc the area is much more of a force than the city itself.

The Katy freeway is a relic of the past still being propped up by Houston media outlets.
I can bet you anything if all those ETJers were to incorporate that name would be quickly put to rest. Katy is a non factor, just like Harris County's old County Seat.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

It is a huge area in terms of land and population and has little to no connection to the original city.

Like Spring, Cypress, Atascocita, etc the area is much more of a force than the city itself.

The Katy freeway is a relic of the past still being propped up by Houston media outlets.
I can bet you anything if all those ETJers were to incorporate that name would be quickly put to rest. Katy is a non factor, just like Harris County's old County Seat.
The connection is the Katy ISD which is where most if not all Katy area kids attend public school. Katy city is a small part of Katy ISD area, which is one of if not the biggest school district in Texas in terms of area. An interesting note also is Katy ISD is in three counties, Harris, Fort Bend and Waller counties.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
The connection is the Katy ISD which is where most if not all Katy area kids attend public school. Katy city is a small part of Katy ISD area, which is one of if not the biggest school district in Texas in terms of area. An interesting note also is Katy ISD is in three counties, Harris, Fort Bend and Waller counties.
ISD's change all the time.

Like I said if those areas were to incorporate, Katy's name on everything would quickly disappear. Just like Spring is in its respective area, Katy is one of the few incorporated city in the area, and thus has its name on everything. It would be one of the smallest city in that area if the others were to incorporate. Places like Cinco, Mission Bend, Pecan Grove, New Territory etc surpass it in population.

Heck even places like Fulshear and Brookshire will be more populated than Katy soon. Fulshear went from 700 people in the 2000 census to over 2000 in 2010 and growing rapidly. Brookshire went from 3000 to 5000 in the last ten years

People don't understand that Katy is a town of 10,000 people. The area has more than 250,000 people. Katy would be insignificant if those unincorporated areas would form their own cities and school districts and what not. Mission Bend is already more than three times as large as Katy.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:

I guess you have to have lived, or currently live in the Katy area to really understand how it works. I'm telling you, people there identify with the "Katy area", or the parts that are in Katy ISD. People from the "New Katy" areas go into "Old Katy" to renew their driver's license, go to the mall, or watch a Friday Night Football game for the Katy ISD high schools, etc. It would not surprise me if in the future, other parts of Katy would want to form a city of their own and if the City of Katy would be willing to form with them as well. Like I said, things like that have happened before many times.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:49 PM

lol, thanks for the hate rep, whoever it was who wasn't man enough to attach their name to their comment. Anyway, I appreciate the boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I guess you have to have lived, or currently live in the Katy area to really understand how it works. I'm telling you, people there identify with the "Katy area", or the parts that are in Katy ISD. People go into "old Katy" to renew their driver's license, go to the mall, or watch a Friday Night Football game for the Katy ISD high schools, etc. It would not surprise me if in the future, other parts of Katy would want to form a city of their own and if the City of Katy would be willing to form with them as well. Like I said, things like that have happened before many times.
and again all that will change if the other areas are incorporated. If you live in your own city why would you go to another to renew your license??? The name katy will fall off the radar.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
lol, thanks for the hate rep, whoever it was who wasn't man enough to attach their name to their comment. Anyway, I appreciate the boost

and again all that will change if the other areas are incorporated. If you live in your own city why would you go to another to renew your license??? The name katy will fall off the radar.
All of those areas of South Katy use a Katy address and if you ask them where they are from, they will say Katy. I'm just saying there is a possibility that Cinco, Seven Meadows, Kelliwood, parts of Green Trails, etc., could join with Katy and form a larger city, or one of their own. Either those options or a new Management District.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:55 PM

206 posts, read 483,625 times
Anybody have a google map overlaying where this will be built?

Old 02-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
ISD's change all the time.

Like I said if those areas were to incorporate, Katy's name on everything would quickly disappear. Just like Spring is in its respective area, Katy is one of the few incorporated city in the area, and thus has its name on everything. It would be one of the smallest city in that area if the others were to incorporate. Places like Cinco, Mission Bend, Pecan Grove, New Territory etc surpass it in population.

Heck even places like Fulshear and Brookshire will be more populated than Katy soon. Fulshear went from 700 people in the 2000 census to over 2000 in 2010 and growing rapidly. Brookshire went from 3000 to 5000 in the last ten years

People don't understand that Katy is a town of 10,000 people. The area has more than 250,000 people. Katy would be insignificant if those unincorporated areas would form their own cities and school districts and what not. Mission Bend is already more than three times as large as Katy.

Give me an example of where an ISD boundary changed in a meaningful way for an area the size of Katy ISD. I livied in 77079 for 27 years and owned a lot in Fulbrook before moving to Plano a year ago. I am well aware of the growth out that way and know well the boundaries of the city of Katy and how small it is. However to claim that katy area is just about the city of Katy is plain wrong. Its about the ISD which has been the same since at least 1980 when I first moved there. The Katy ISD land area outside the city Katy is much much larger than the land area inside it. I am well aware of the Katy of City issues from working with a major developer that considered acquiring the Katy Mills Mall site for residential development a few years before Katy Mills owner came along.

Most of the highly populated areas in Katy ISD area are in the Houston ETJ , so Cinco area etc arent going to incorporate into its own city so why are you ignoring realities with your lame claim? A simple statement that ISD boundariess change all the time wont cut it when its been stable out there for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston