Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 03:46 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
What advantage does these schools have over a public school - in terms of getting into an university ?
I think the advantage is in being PREPARED for the university. Getting in and not being ready means a huge waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 08:51 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Well it depends on what university one is aiming for, and the status of one's zoned school.

For private liberal arts colleges one might find an advantage being at a magnet or private school (or if a student is used to a smaller school, a small college might fit better). St. John's and Kinkaid I imagine feed into many elite colleges.

But for UT or A&M a zoned public school with a relatively weak student body would have better top 8/10 percent chances, though you don't want the academics to be insufficient.

Quote:
What advantage does these schools have over a public school - in terms of getting into an university ?

Old 02-22-2019, 07:46 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Quote:
Not nearly as much as some think. I don’t see the old idea of “feeder schools” happening that much these days.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:02 AM

5 posts, read 7,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdgeoff View Post
Awty International School is an excellent school. Will actually expose your children to cultural diversity. Many ivy league and top 25 college acceptances. Most students graduate bilingual or multilingual. Excellent community service program.
We r debating b/w Strake and Awty for our 13 yr old . !!AP vs IB , strict Jesuit / religious vs non religious , all boys vs coed .Shadowing pending .
Any input ?

Old 03-11-2019, 10:24 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonexpat View Post
We r debating b/w Strake and Awty for our 13 yr old . !!AP vs IB , strict Jesuit / religious vs non religious , all boys vs coed .Shadowing pending .
Any input ?
You pretty much said it all yourself. Depends on how those factors matter to your family/your son. My advice: if he strongly prefers one over the other, go with that. They're both good schools, give him room to be happy.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:37 PM

79 posts, read 89,588 times
I would choose Strake Jesuit. It is very rigorous academically, and has dedicated & highly qualified teachers, caring and supportive counselors, and a large scholarship fund that allows it to bring in diverse students that are strong academically.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,318 times
Thank you ! Is this personal experience .

Old 05-29-2019, 08:43 PM

18 posts, read 35,961 times
Can you help me with private school choices? I think I read a thread where your kid(s) got into AWTY. is that right? I posted a thread on a similar topic. Our daughter goes to Duchesne but I'm not sure why people say its so rigorous. Do you think Duchesne is better than BHS, AWTY, or ST Thomas Episcopal? I heard after St Thomas flooded during Harvey they are financially struggling and may not be able to continue as a school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: