U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 29,716 times

Advertisements

I was watering my lawn and noticed a crack in the corner of my slab. I am stressed out now. My home is only a year old, and I would hate to have to move. How bad does this look?

This is a Ryland home. Hopefully, this is covered under warranty.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:17 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,833,511 times
It's nothing to worry about. The post tension cables intersect right inside that corner, and it stresses the concrete at the corner. Those two exposed nails ( that should be grouted ) indicate where the dead end of the cable is. Around the corner, you will either see the same, or a larger grouted area that indicates that was the live end of that cable. It was cut off and grouted after it was stressed. These corner cracks are very common, and not indicative of a slab issue. Ryland should come back and grout the cracks, and you should ask them to seal all of the exposed nails so that they don't continue to corrode.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 PM

13 posts, read 29,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
It's nothing to worry about. The post tension cables intersect right inside that corner, and it stresses the concrete at the corner. Those two exposed nails ( that should be grouted ) indicate where the dead end of the cable is. Around the corner, you will either see the same, or a larger grouted area that indicates that was the live end of that cable. It was cut off and grouted after it was stressed. These corner cracks are very common, and not indicative of a slab issue. Ryland should come back and grout the cracks, and you should ask them to seal all of the exposed nails so that they don't continue to corrode.
Thanks. This actually puts me at ease. I sent the email for Ryland to come out. My backyard has been so unpredictable as far as the soil moving. It's huge.

I plan on getting a patio deck installed and landscaping. I'm definitely going to install a sprinkler system as well. Soakers will be included

Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM

42 posts, read 65,882 times
I've had similar in my two houses down here. Like RCH said and everything I've read it is nothing to worry about. Just grout the crack and the nails. One of mine was also a Ryland and this one is a Meritage. I grouted my Ryland right before I sold it and was worried about the inspection.....passed fine and no mention was made of the fixed crack.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:34 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,641,773 times
Oh that's nothing. Quit stressing.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,348,481 times
If that's it, then nothing to worry about. Its very common and has no actual effect on the foundation.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM

3,492 posts, read 3,227,381 times
That is highly common so not need to stress over it, its a non issue

Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM

3,334 posts, read 4,813,920 times
Call the INS, I think aliens are living in there!

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston