U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 09:25 PM

20 posts, read 36,882 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the south part of the Woodlands, and are finding the commute to downtown and the Galleria to be a killer. Do you have any recommendations on areas we can look into? Our dream would be 4 bedroom house, around $110k, safe neighborhood, good schools, but a shorter commute. We have a while before our lease expires so we are considering foreclosures/short sales. The 1960 and Champions Forest area appealed to us, but we were surprised at how quickly we found the ghetto. Perhaps we just took a couple wrong turns. Same thing with Humble and the Kenswick area. What neighborhoods are good, and what areas should we stay away from? We are not originally from this area, and this would be our first home, any help greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 10:42 PM

2,454 posts, read 6,300,269 times
I would try the Atascocita area - east of Humble. Humble has some pretty run down parts. Atascocita is a little more upscale.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:08 AM

2,908 posts, read 4,362,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtao View Post
We currently live in the south part of the Woodlands, and are finding the commute to downtown and the Galleria to be a killer. Do you have any recommendations on areas we can look into? Our dream would be 4 bedroom house, around $110k, safe neighborhood, good schools, but a shorter commute. We have a while before our lease expires so we are considering foreclosures/short sales. The 1960 and Champions Forest area appealed to us, but we were surprised at how quickly we found the ghetto. Perhaps we just took a couple wrong turns. Same thing with Humble and the Kenswick area. What neighborhoods are good, and what areas should we stay away from? We are not originally from this area, and this would be our first home, any help greatly appreciated!
1960/Champion Forest areas near the ghetto? You must have took some real bad wrong turns because there's really no ghetto around there. The apartments in the vicinity are kind of pricy so still nothing really ghetto.

I'm curious as to where you looked and where you were that was the ghetto

Old 02-09-2012, 02:58 AM

168 posts, read 433,319 times
I suggest looking into moving more to the north west off of 290. Homes are cheap and the area is pretty nice.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

15,719 posts, read 21,222,172 times
If you want to buy a 4 bedroom house for $110,000 far away from any bad neighborhood..... you might as well stay where you live right now.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 AM

3,333 posts, read 8,403,454 times
4 Bedrooms for $110K in Champion Forest???? Good luck with that, my friend. Sorry to be such a downer, but that ain't gonna happen.

Ronnie

Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
1960/Champion Forest areas near the ghetto? You must have took some real bad wrong turns because there's really no ghetto around there. The apartments in the vicinity are kind of pricy so still nothing really ghetto.

I'm curious as to where you looked and where you were that was the ghetto
I'm not sure of the exact streets, but I believe it was off of Champion Forest Drive and south of Richey. I was surprised at the tagging on houses, fences, and some houses boarded up.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk11ns View Post
I suggest looking into moving more to the north west off of 290. Homes are cheap and the area is pretty nice.
How would the commute to downtown or the galleria be? Does 290 get pretty backed up?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
4 Bedrooms for $110K in Champion Forest???? Good luck with that, my friend. Sorry to be such a downer, but that ain't gonna happen.

Ronnie
I'm sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking at a couple of foreclosures on the south end of Champion Forest Drive. 77066 is the zipcode, and I keep seeing a lot of houses in that range in the Kleinbrook area. Is that an ok area?

Old 02-09-2012, 09:20 AM

15,580 posts, read 10,077,334 times
There are houses to be had for 110 in the area, but not Champions Forest. Try Cypressdale, Cypresswood, Memorial Northwest. Ask to see utility summary for the past year. Go to HAR.com put in area 13, Klein School district.

If you are willing to get into a racially and economically diverse neighborhood, Greenwood Forest will also fit your budget. It is also a quick way to get to BW 8 and anywhere.

Getting downtown from Champions area around 249 will also be time consuming. DH worked south of the Galleria. He tried every way known to humans to find a way to work that took less than 50 minutes.

He started just going down Stuebner Airline to Sheppard to Kirby and over. That route was recommended by a neighbor going to Fox. Worked as well as others and far less stressful than freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston