U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2012, 09:01 AM

628 posts, read 2,160,134 times
Default Question about Expired Texas Driver License!!!

Hi,

I TX driver license got expired today. I went to the driver license office and they asked me if I am US citizen and I said yes! They asked me for the passport and I said I just applied for the passport a day before. They asked me for the original naturalization certificate and I told them I had to give the original for the passport but I have a photo copy. They said they cannot issue me a driver license on the basis of the copy.

Now, what should I do! The passport will arrive in 4-6 weeks and my driver license has expired. If cop stops me what should I tell him/her?

I am in a really weird situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM

Can anyone please help me!!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:50 AM

328 posts, read 747,127 times
Try online renewal if you meet all these conditions

You have indicated that you want to renew your Driver License/ID card.
The eligibility requirements for online renewal:

Card will expire in less than one year and has not been expired for more than two years.
Last renewal was in person at a Texas Driver License office.
Between 18 and 79 years of age.
Cannot have a Class A or B driver license, or a commercial
driver license.
Vision, physical, or mental condition has not changed in a way that
affects ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Not currently suspended or have outstanding traffic tickets or warrants.
US citizen.
Social Security number on file with the Department

TxDPS Renewal

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I TX driver license got expired today. I went to the driver license office and they asked me if I am US citizen and I said yes! They asked me for the passport and I said I just applied for the passport a day before. They asked me for the original naturalization certificate and I told them I had to give the original for the passport but I have a photo copy. They said they cannot issue me a driver license on the basis of the copy.

Now, what should I do! The passport will arrive in 4-6 weeks and my driver license has expired. If cop stops me what should I tell him/her?

I am in a really weird situation!

Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 AM

I cannot do online renewal since my license has already expired and I wear glasses.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM

15,414 posts, read 9,061,885 times
Perhaps plan on renewing your license BEFORE sending the original documents elsewhere. Also, if you get stopped and get a ticket you can go to court and contest the ticket and present your explaination to the Judge and see what happens.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 AM

@CSD610,

I will keep that in mind for the next time. The original documents were required to apply for the US passport. I did not knew that driver license office will also require original documents. Last time when I was NOT US citizen I got it renewed using my SSN and foreign passport. Even though I was carrying my foreign passport now they did not even look at it since I indicated that I am a US citizen.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:55 AM

Hello All,

Does anyone think that if I get stopped by police I will get arrested for having expired license? It is expired and I cannot renew it since my passport is currently pending. There is literally nothing I can do right now!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:31 AM

806 posts, read 1,152,815 times
can you try getting a certified copy of your naturalization certificate?...wonder if this will be quicker turnaround than your passport.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:08 AM

391 posts, read 850,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps plan on renewing your license BEFORE sending the original documents elsewhere. Also, if you get stopped and get a ticket you can go to court and contest the ticket and present your explaination to the Judge and see what happens.
She may get more than a ticket. For example, if she gets stopped in Pearland with an expired/invalid license, she will go to jail. Not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston