Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,781,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
You mean rolled into your mortgage?
Nope. Blinds and $2400 fridge thrown in for free.
That's on top of all the flooring and other option upgrades we got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 AM

847 posts, read 1,743,132 times
my builder was trying to charge me like $100 for MINI BLINDS!!!! not even 4" faux wood blinds.... i easily saved $600-$700 by doing it myself.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM

8,891 posts, read 19,886,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Lennar?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:59 AM

240 posts, read 804,603 times
I bought all of my drapery hardware at Walmart and Ross and installed it myself. I then ordered a few blackout drapes each month from Overstock.com (they had the best price especially with their 10% off coupons). It took me a few months to have enough to cover all of my windows but it sure didn't cost me thousands of dollars.

I like the other posters suggestion to make them yourself. I have seen some really neat fabric at Joanne's and Hobby Lobby. I wish I had the patience to sew!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,579,566 times
Did solar screens on the outside... those ran about $95 each for parts, delivery and labor. I used some independent tint shop that does solar screens on the side. Pfifer brand, 90% black with colored frames to complement the outside of the house. Most of the windows are about 7 ft tall and many have arches. Should be cheaper if you have smaller windows.

For the inside I just went down to Lowes and got some Bali cellular (double-diamond cell) window shades, which run about $100-300 per window for an off-white. The light color shades are good for keeping it bright but blocking the heat and cold. Just give them your exact size to the quarter-inch and they can have it made. But if you don't like the contemporary style these aren't for you.

For curtains, the wife experimented with some fabric and a sewing machine for a couple of bedrooms, and they came out nicely. Otherwise, the cellular shades is where it stops.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,477,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
You pay for it whether you realize it or not. You don't really think you got all that for free? LOL

Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM

488 posts, read 1,377,620 times
We used justblinds.com. New home so had to buy almost 30 different sized blinds. Can't remember the exact price but you can cost them online. We went for 2" faux. They were very easy to install. We also went for routeless in the bedrooms so less light would get in.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,544,090 times
We did some beautiful woven wood shades - kind of like these: Provenance® Woven Wood Shades | Merit Window Fashion & Design
We LOVE them. We did our living room, kitchen and family room with them. It was about $3600. For the bedrooms, we just did honeycombs. (about $50-75 per window)

Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,872,522 times
Quote:
You pay for it whether you realize it or not. You don't really think you got all that for free? LOL
You are right nothing is free but some people are better at negotiations than others. Buying a house is just like buying a car, some people pay sticker so others get a deal much closer to cost. In the end it all even out and they make their money.

For the OP if you want blinds hit up Home Depot or Lowes $30 - $50 a windows for normal sized windows it what they usually charge. If you have not closed go back to you builder and tell them you want blinds for half off, it is always worth a try. If you do curtains spend the money for good ones so they will last.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,781,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Lennar?
No, Trendmaker.

Quote:
All I know is I'm better off than those who DIDN'T get this.
It was a special that month.

AND we got so many other upgrades on top of that, even the design center people were shocked. As well as money off the base price. In the end, the cost of my house would have been exactly the same without the blinds and fridge.

So ya... I do think we got that for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston