Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Just about what I figured. Spoken like the typical ignorant sports fan who reacts on emotion and understands very little about the sports of which they speak.
I know, it sucks to be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:47 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
We are also in one of two sports dead zones in a year (the second being summer time after the NBA Finals). If Lin was happening during Tebow Time, there would be no Linsanity.
Not for me,
soccer season last 10 months of the year (August-May)
English Premier League Calendar 2011-2012 - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Old 02-15-2012, 08:15 AM

613 posts, read 997,081 times
Can't let facts get in the way of a good story. 8 turnovers against a crummy Toronto team resulting in the need for a last second shot to win the game. Does anybody pay attention to the fact that the 8 turnovers nearly cost the Knicks the game? No, wouldn't want to slow down the media storm.

John Lucas III is averaging 25 ppg as a starter for the Bulls this season. Does that make him the second coming?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,867,375 times
Quote:
Can't let facts get in the way of a good story. 8 turnovers against a crummy Toronto team resulting in the need for a last second shot to win the game. Does anybody pay attention to the fact that the 8 turnovers nearly cost the Knicks the game? No, wouldn't want to slow down the media storm.

John Lucas III is averaging 25 ppg as a starter for the Bulls this season. Does that make him the second coming?
Let's not let 8 turnovers get in the way of another great performancr by Lin. Balls of steel taking that three during a tie game. That was his seventh NBA game. He will cut the turnovets down. Dude can play.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 AM

You can't turn the ball over 8 times and call it a great performance. I wouldn't judge him by that performance, however, just as I wouldn't judge him by his previous few games. That is kind of my point here. Linsanity, Tebow magic, etc.; the media is in such a rush to have good stories that it gets way overdone. Jeremy Lin may turn out to be consistently a great player or he may fade. You can't anoint a player as a super star after just 5 games. He seems a good kid, so I hope he turns out to be the real deal but it is way too early to say.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:06 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
You can't turn the ball over 8 times and call it a great performance. I wouldn't judge him by that performance, however, just as I wouldn't judge him by his previous few games. That is kind of my point here. Linsanity, Tebow magic, etc.; the media is in such a rush to have good stories that it gets way overdone. Jeremy Lin may turn out to be consistently a great player or he may fade. You can't anoint a player as a super star after just 5 games. He seems a good kid, so I hope he turns out to be the real deal but it is way too early to say.
What the Hell are you talking about? They won the game! The Knicks are on a seven game win streak. Before he got in the line up there were way below .500 and looking like they weren't even going to make the playoffs. Yeah he had 8 turnovers but he also had 11 assists and 28 points and he hit the game winning shot. And please stop it with the stupid Tebow comparison. The two situations are nothing alike. Time Tebow is all hype. He hasn't shown ANYTHING at the Pro level to say he's a future pro bowl quarterback. His mechanics and throwing motions are terrible. Second of all anybody who watches college football knows who Tebow is. The guy won a heisman and two national championships. He was drafted in the first round. Lin on the other hand has come out of nowhere. He didn't receive any college offers out of high school. He played at Harvard, not exactly a basketball factory. He wasn't drafted in the draft. He's had to work he way to the top. He's showing great potential. And oh yeah the Rockets lost last night to the Grizzles, but we don't need that Guy right?

Old 02-15-2012, 09:48 AM

48 posts, read 129,142 times
As a long suffering Knicks fan I'm enjoying Linsanity...thanks again Houston

Old 02-15-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
What the Hell are you talking about? They won the game! The Knicks are on a seven game win streak. Before he got in the line up there were way below .500 and looking like they weren't even going to make the playoffs. Yeah he had 8 turnovers but he also had 11 assists and 28 points and he hit the game winning shot. And please stop it with the stupid Tebow comparison. The two situations are nothing alike. Time Tebow is all hype. He hasn't shown ANYTHING at the Pro level to say he's a future pro bowl quarterback. His mechanics and throwing motions are terrible. Second of all anybody who watches college football knows who Tebow is. The guy won a heisman and two national championships. He was drafted in the first round. Lin on the other hand has come out of nowhere. He didn't receive any college offers out of high school. He played at Harvard, not exactly a basketball factory. He wasn't drafted in the draft. He's had to work he way to the top. He's showing great potential. And oh yeah the Rockets lost last night to the Grizzles, but we don't need that Guy right?
You don't really get it, do you? I am not comparing player quality nor am I making a judgement on whether or not the players ultimately are quality. I am comparing the public and media reaction. As you may recall, Tebow dominated the headlines for the entire second half of the season. He became the most popular player in the NFL. The amount of time spent talking about him, debating him was ridiculous relative to his overall accomplishments. He was (is) a crap QB who managed to win a number of games against bad teams with an offense that defensive coordinators weren't used to seeing and, therefore, had difficulty (initially) in game planning against.

The similarity with the Lin situation is again a media and public feeding frenzy over a player who has started 5 games now including two performances that, when judged without emotion, were mediocre performances.

One thing you said that makes me laugh though in that you probably don't even realize the irony of the statement given your stated views on Tebow (which I happen to share, by the way): you said "who cares if he had 8 turnovers, they won". This is remarkably similar to the Tebow supporters who say, "who cares if he has a completion percentage of less than 50%, he wins". I agree that Tebow sucks. I am no more impressed by the Knicks needing a last second shot to beat a crap team that has lost 21 games this season than I was by Tebow beating hapless teams like the Bears.

May as well take the opportunity to correct a misunderstanding that you are laboring under as well. I am not a Rockets fan. I grew up in Chicago and am a Bulls fan. While I have adopted the Texans, Dynamo and Astros as my teams, my view towards the Rockets can at best be characterized as mild indifference.

Last edited by MIBS98; 02-15-2012 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2Katy View Post
As a long suffering Knicks fan I'm enjoying Linsanity...thanks again Houston
Same sentiment shared within my family (although I claim the Spurs first much to the chagrin of my Knicks family).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston