U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2012, 11:07 AM
 
338 posts, read 331,321 times
Reputation: 332

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebor79 View Post
I walk all over the mofo place. Yall just a bunch of pansies.
Really? I live in NYC and I don't even walk that much. I walk across the street to take the bus to the subway station. I take the subway to work. I walk one block from the subway station to the office tower. That's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 AM
 
15,287 posts, read 16,839,007 times
Reputation: 15019
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Really? I live in NYC and I don't even walk that much. I walk across the street to take the bus to the subway station. I take the subway to work. I walk one block from the subway station to the office tower. That's about it.
When I lived in Chicago (and Evanston - I have been in the city and in the burbs), I walked everywhere. I walked along the Lakefront on the beach. I walked to and from downtown Evanston for shopping, dinners, movies, etc. When my kids were little, we walked to the parks in Evanston to play. I biked around to grocery shop when I didn't have a lot to pick up.

When I was working in Pilsen, I walked to the *el* several stations away to take the train on the way in to work and back several blocks to the 18th street station on the way back.

I love to walk. I find it difficult to do here in Houston because in the summer, it is way too hot to do the long walks I used to take. I could walk a long way and then take the *el* back if I was tired instead of having to plan for the walk back as I do here. Besides, I like to people watch and there are just less people here. In Chicago, I loved walking through the neighborhoods and hearing the languages change.

I am sort of surprised that someone from NYC didn't walk more, but maybe that is because my relatives walked around Central Park West quite a bit and my good friend in Brooklyn walks everywhere with her daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:06 PM
 
338 posts, read 331,321 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
When I lived in Chicago (and Evanston - I have been in the city and in the burbs), I walked everywhere. I walked along the Lakefront on the beach. I walked to and from downtown Evanston for shopping, dinners, movies, etc. When my kids were little, we walked to the parks in Evanston to play. I biked around to grocery shop when I didn't have a lot to pick up.

When I was working in Pilsen, I walked to the *el* several stations away to take the train on the way in to work and back several blocks to the 18th street station on the way back.

I love to walk. I find it difficult to do here in Houston because in the summer, it is way too hot to do the long walks I used to take. I could walk a long way and then take the *el* back if I was tired instead of having to plan for the walk back as I do here. Besides, I like to people watch and there are just less people here. In Chicago, I loved walking through the neighborhoods and hearing the languages change.

I am sort of surprised that someone from NYC didn't walk more, but maybe that is because my relatives walked around Central Park West quite a bit and my good friend in Brooklyn walks everywhere with her daughter.
In Manhattan one would have no choice but to walk. Driving would probably take longer, not to mention prohibitively expensive (but I still drive into Manhattan when I got called in on a weekend or at night for emergency procedures, parking and mileage is reimbursed in such cases).

I drive almost exclusively in Brooklyn when I go visit my parents. Mass transit in NYC is mainly designed to bring people into Manhattan and going from one point in Bkyn to another is very inconvenient without driving. I live on the edge of the city, so when I want to go out, I simply hop into my car and drive to the nearby suburbs. It's more convenient and they have more upscale shops.

I am thinking about moving to Houston as well. Given my desire for driving, I think I will do well in Houston. My only concern is the heat. I lived in south Florida as a kid, I hated the summers. But Florida is more humid than hot. Houston's summer will probably be quite different from both Florida and NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 PM
 
613 posts, read 855,785 times
Reputation: 662
Houston summer is both humid and hot - although not this past summer as the drought kept the humidity down well below average while the heat was much higher than average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2012, 08:29 PM
 
Location: city data
177 posts, read 200,088 times
Reputation: 42
well you will see its twice the size of chicago land wise. you will see alot of custom caddys and lincolns and extremly loud radios and very unique music by the way expect bayous and alot of open land with cows and horses and its urban too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 AM
 
385 posts, read 814,540 times
Reputation: 469
Houston isn't the best for walking. But i like the heat, it keeps me skinny.
The people watching isn't so great.
But I walk all over. Uptown.Downtown.Midtown.Montrose.TMC.East End.2nd ward.the bayou trails.the heights.River Oaks.5th ward.Afton Oaks.Gulfton.Highland Village.westwood.eastwood. If its anywhere, i done walked there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM
 
Location: #
9,605 posts, read 14,273,941 times
Reputation: 6260
I really enjoy walking around Uptown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 PM
 
10,720 posts, read 16,836,441 times
Reputation: 9878
Houston and the South in general is not very Single friendly. Southern culture does not promote the single life. Most people get married and have children early. They seem to marry their high school or college fling. The strong Evangelical environment promotes early marriage. And the non-Evangelicals seems to marry early too. In addition, it can be very difficult to penetrate the cliquish like nature of the area as people will know people from the fraternities or sorrorities at nearby Texas universities. Greek life is really big in Southern culture and socializing even among adults. It's definitely not like NY, Chicago, L.A., Boston, Philly, Miami, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Seattle, and Portland with regard to dating and the single life.

Houston has night life but it's not the same type of night life elsewhere because they are full of couples. The bars and clubs themselves are really nice and upscale but the scene and culture is not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Westbury
3,283 posts, read 4,906,987 times
Reputation: 2922
azriverfan sounds like someone who just recently moved down south

sororities and fraternities are just something we southerners do? i don't know anyone who ever joined one but then again I wouldn't socialize with them in the first place. people are putting off marriage until later in life in the states... including the south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2012, 09:43 PM
 
338 posts, read 331,321 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
azriverfan sounds like someone who just recently moved down south

sororities and fraternities are just something we southerners do? i don't know anyone who ever joined one but then again I wouldn't socialize with them in the first place. people are putting off marriage until later in life in the states... including the south
This sounds better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top