U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:34 AM

125 posts, read 510,421 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I previously posted about the possibility of moving to Houston.. I now live in ATL and I'm researching where I want to relocate to - hopefully for a long time. My previous post with LOTs of information on myself and what I'm looking for is here:

Relo Questions... Prev lived in NYC, ATL, KY - now thinking Houston, Dallas, etc...?

My best friend (a 29 year old male born/raised/currently in Miami) and I are visiting Houston next week briefly - Fri thru Sun. We just want to get a feel for the city... Currently there's really only 4 things we are planning to do, outside of that we're free to just...roam..

(1) Visit the locations within Houston where my current company is located. The company I currently work for is heavy in Houston, and I'd like to look at the locations.
(2) Visit Montrose; from the previous post it seems like this may be an area I/we would like.
(3) Check out obvious things like nightlife, restaurants, etc.
(4) Check out beaches... I'm assuming the closest ones are in Galveston. My friend is used to Miami beaches and knows that these won't compare; however we wanna see what we may be working with!

Any other ideas... specific restaurants (we prefer cheap/hole-in-the-wall type places over extravagent restaurants)... specific bars/clubs/etc.?

TIA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM

142 posts, read 275,688 times
Your trip to Galveston should be fun considering Madi Gras is going on. Hit up the strand

Old 02-15-2012, 10:43 AM

1,770 posts, read 3,564,617 times
Get you a GPS and just be open minded because the city is Huge and there are some things you will see and might like and not like but just now its just Texas and this is how we roll.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:50 AM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Here's a few things
- Houston is a huge city, make sure that you narrow down the places that you are going to visit.
- Houston has 1000s of ethnic restaurants from all over the World. Try a few that you've never had, I used to live in Sugar Land close to an Afghanistan restaurant.
- Maybe you can go to a Rockets game, tickets seem cheap right now, in that way you can also see the baseball stadium (Minute Maid) and the soccer stadium that is being built for the Dynamos.
- Try visiting Chinatown...
actually, a chinese guy that works in that area recommended me "Cafe 101" it's a small chinese restaurant, but I'll tell you what I liked about it... It seriously made me feel like I was in a real Asian restaurant (I've been to Seoul). It was a little small, full of young people, some pop music playing, cool lighting, etc, etc.
And if you stay in that same parking lot, go around the building and there's lots of chinese stores.

It also help if you tell us what area of the city your work might be.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,467,527 times
I would just skip Galveston if you don't have much time. The "beaches" are bad, and the atmosphere is pretty rough at times. The first time I went there big groups of thugs walking around smoking weed. The next time I went it was much calmer and more like families there. So I guess it is hit and miss. The water and sand is just terrible though. Go to Catbirds, hit Etro next, Boondocks, and then Poison Girl. If you like more of d-bag Jersey Shore/ sweater vest crowd hit up Washington Ave. For cheap eats try Houston street food. You won't be disappointed.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:40 PM

14,807 posts, read 18,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I would just skip Galveston if you don't have much time. The "beaches" are bad, and the atmosphere is pretty rough at times.
I wouldn't call it bad,
but don't even think that you are going to find anything like Cancun in Galveston.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Your trip to Galveston should be fun considering Madi Gras is going on. Hit up the strand
Hi there! Thanks for the info! I think Mardi Gras will be over by the time we get there... We will be there next Fri (2/24) - Sun (2/26)... looks like MG is up on the 21st. Thanks for the info, though!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Thx all for the info... I'm jotting it all down!

Any more thoughts/reccs feel free to drop them here...!!

Old 02-15-2012, 05:36 PM

142 posts, read 275,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGal View Post
Hi there! Thanks for the info! I think Mardi Gras will be over by the time we get there... We will be there next Fri (2/24) - Sun (2/26)... looks like MG is up on the 21st. Thanks for the info, though!
Ah i mis read and thought you were coming this weekend. I would still check out Galveston its a cool Island and has lots of history at the same time. The Landys owner Tilman Fertitta is building Pleasure Peir on Seawall Blvd. and 25th which almost mimics the Santa Monica Peir and should be pretty cool when its done this summer. Lots of bars and places to eat, Moody Gardens and i know its Feb but theres a schlitterbahn there as well. The beaches aren't great but I think the other activiteis on the island can make up for it.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 AM

385 posts, read 814,540 times
I recommend the drive down 225 through Pasadena, you never seen so many monuments to industry in one place. Why there check out san Jac monument. And Monument Inn restaurant overlooking the ship channel.

Also check some taco stands, the one on Gulfton and Renwick is good. Longpoint a few blocks west from Wirt is another great one.

don't forget Screwed up records on Cullen (should be a historic landmark imo).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston