U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 PM

4,751 posts, read 12,046,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post
Just because a person doesn't agree with gobs of homework does not necessarily mean they are lazy or entitled. Sometimes more is not better. I personally feel that 7 hours of school 5 days a week is plenty. I'd rather my kids engage in extracurricular activities such as sports or music, or have family time in the evening. Children learned more effectively and physically worked harder 200 years ago then they do now and they attended school for less time. Interesting, isn't it? I don't understand why people are so quick to throw out labels like "lazy" or "entitled" when someone believes something different from them.
Well-said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 10:35 AM

208 posts, read 474,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I don't understand the point of this post except to make an ignorant comment followed by a racist one.

Learn more about Montessori before offering your opinions. And learn a bit more about society and economics before equating race with income. That is an incredibly stupid and insulting remark.
I am usually all over people, who posts racist comments on here instead of posting ones that are actually helpful. I don't think Dionne7 was being racist. Obviously you haven't read the news a couple years ago about Catholic schoold being closed in predominately Hispanic and African American communities due to low performance and low enrollment in Houston yet ones were being built in affluent neighborhoods. Catholic schools have been closing and consolidating all over the country due to money being paid out to settle law suits in sexual abuse cases. As for Montessori you need to do your homework. The whole philosophy is to mix age groups with the goal of older kids teaching younger kid.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Wah, wah, wah! So kids have to work hard, tough beans. I am so sick of the Entitlement Generation. Everything gets handed to them on a silver platter and when ANYthing requires real effort, we coddle them and point to illnesses and suicides being the result of "overpressure". I call BS. Here we are in an environment where every kid gets a trophy in Little League Baseball, whether they won or not, and we wonder why it seems so hard for them when they can't accept a little defeat.

I'm out.

Ronnie
Get out Ronnie.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsSpiderWeb View Post
Just because a person doesn't agree with gobs of homework does not necessarily mean they are lazy or entitled. Sometimes more is not better. I personally feel that 7 hours of school 5 days a week is plenty. I'd rather my kids engage in extracurricular activities such as sports or music, or have family time in the evening. Children learned more effectively and physically worked harder 200 years ago then they do now and they attended school for less time. Interesting, isn't it? I don't understand why people are so quick to throw out labels like "lazy" or "entitled" when someone believes something different from them.
Don't pay attention to Ronnie. There are underlying issues under Ronnie's comments. It is for a therapist to work out.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM

15,294 posts, read 16,844,720 times
Quote:
Agreed. But where education is concerned, less is never more.

Ronnie
Less education is never more, but... less homework actually often means more and better education.

There is NO research that backs up the claims that more homework, especially in elementary school means better performance and in fact the research shows the contrary.

Too much homework can be counterproductive

Quote:
During the early 1980s, many U.S. schools and teachers ramped up their homework assignments, at least to younger children, in reaction to intense media focus on studies comparing the mediocre performance of American students to the industriousness of their Japanese counterparts. At the same time, ironically, Japanese educators were attempting to reduce the amount of homework given to their students and allow them more leisure from the rigors of schooling. Neither the American nor the Japanese educational reform of the 1980s seems to have affected general achievement levels in either country, according to the book.

"American students appear to do as much homework as their peers overseas -- if not more -- but still only score around the international average," LeTendre said. "Undue focus on homework as a national quick-fix, rather than a focus on issues of instructional quality and equity of access to opportunity to learn, may lead a country into wasted expenditures of time and energy."
Homework: is it worth it? | Mempowered

Quote:
Overall, homework does appear to result in higher levels of achievement for older students (at the secondary level).

For these students, more time spent on homework is associated with higher levels of achievement, although there is probably a level beyond which more is counterproductive (perhaps at three hours a day).

For students aged 11-13, homework appears to be of benefit, but not to the same degree as for older students.

For these students, spending more than an hour or two on homework does not result in greater benefit.

There is little evidence of benefit for students younger than 11, although it can be plausibly argued that small amounts of homework can have an indirect benefit for promoting good study habits and attitudes to learning.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:07 PM

3,333 posts, read 7,796,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350days View Post
Don't pay attention to Ronnie. There are underlying issues under Ronnie's comments. It is for a therapist to work out.
Pfffttt.... God forbid someone has a difference of opinion. I got yer therapist right here.

Ronnie

Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM

123 posts, read 222,028 times
Quote:
Pfffttt.... God forbid someone has a difference of opinion. I got yer therapist right here.

Ronnie
Others opinions are lazy and entitled but yours is just different? Funny how that works. Not trying to attack anyone or pick, that just doesn't really make sense to me. It comes across very hypocritical.

The current public school system which bogs kids down with homework and teaches our children nothing more than how to be good standardized test takers is obviously not working. Little Johnny is taught how to pass the TAKS or STARR, but he is not really academically educated and barely knows how to function in real life (so he doesn't have a real world education either).

But hey, let's just throw some more homework in the mix. Lack of homework is clearly why the kids today are so dumb. (Sarcasm)

Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM

3,333 posts, read 7,796,434 times
And with that, I'm back to my "let's give every kid a TROPHY" contention.

Ronnie

Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 PM

9,274 posts, read 22,777,133 times
Quote:
And with that, I'm back to my "let's give every kid a TROPHY" contention.

Ronnie

And naming 20+ valedictorians at each PUBLIC school... Remember when there was one standout kid? There was more to the title than just the 4.5 +GPA.

Too much homework still doesn't stop the super achievers even in the private schools...on top of sports and clubs......But I've seen that homework and those endless research projects, and I do see a point to them. It's not busy work.

But if we coddle the masses, we will definately have a society of worker drones, with only a handful of queen and king bees. We've been working towards that for decades...why stop now?

Old 03-01-2012, 03:07 PM

123 posts, read 222,028 times
I'm not saying that we need 20 valedictorians or that everyone deserves a trophy. That's silly. All I'm saying is that more homework doesn't ALWAYS equal a better education. I had less homework in college than I did in high school. I also didn't attend the same class everyday. I also didn't spend all of my college class time learning how to pass a standardized test. So does that mean that university education is worthless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or