Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 AM

77 posts, read 280,541 times

Advertisements

Hi to all,

My wife and I are planning our move to the Houston area with our 5 year old and 11 year old daughters who currently attend kindergarten and sixth grade in private catholic schools in Puerto Rico. The amount of homework that is given to both our children is cruel at times. They never go outside to play or watch TV during the week because they get home from school around 4:00pm and do homework all afternoon until 8:00pm when they start getting ready for bed (they DO take breaks for dinner and shower). They only have playtime of friday afternoons and weekends.

We were just wondering if this typical in US public schools? We are planning on getting our kids into Katy ISD (just in case the answer depends on the school district). We have never had any experience with US public schools since both my wife and I were born and raised here in PR.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM

488 posts, read 1,377,958 times
It obviously depends on school district but where we are (Pearland ISD) my son got out of school at 2.45 in elementary (8.00am start) and 3.45 in middle school (8.45am start). He did not get a break (recess) during the day and got 30 minutes for lunch. I don't think he has ever spent more than 1 hour on homework (maybe if he had a big project but usually we try to split the work over a few nights) and some nights he has no homework at all.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 AM

834 posts, read 2,674,643 times
I don't have first hand experience on Katy ISD but have a friend who lives there and her kids go to public school. My friend's kids do have homework but they do have time to get out of the house and play in the neighborhood. Where I live it's HISD and it's about the same, kids in elementary are out by 2:45 and I see them on the street playing, unless they have big projects which are usually toward the end of the semester.

Be sure you get a real estate agent and find yourself a property in a good neighborhood with good schools zoned.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,251,501 times
My three kids go to Katy ISD schools and the homework load has rarely been an issue. Like your children, mine came from private schools where the amount of homework given was often ridiculous, so this was a nice change. As others have noted, there are always exceptions (end of semester exams), but in general I think your children will have more time to be kids than it sounds like they have now. Good luck with your move!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Thanks to all for your replys. I looks like we will have a break from all this homework stress. We like to be on top of our daughters education but 3 to 4 hours of homework everyday is too much.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:44 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,019,818 times
You might look at St. Catherine's Montessori (in Houston, though, not katy). Since you mentioned catholic school. It is a private, Catholic school with a Montessori approach, and they definitely take a balanced view of homework. It's a really lovely school (my kids went there for a few years).

Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM

I doubt we will have the money to pay private schooling in Houston. Here we have them in private schools because we have no option. The public education in PR is a disaster.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,777,762 times
One of my neighbors has her children in a Catholic school and she reports that they spend hours per day on homework.

My children are in school for 7 hours per day...that's enough emphasis on academics and the rest of the time I want them to play, enjoy being outside, and explore personal interests. So far in public school, the homework has been minimal.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM

467 posts, read 1,180,247 times
I really do think it depends on how much after school activities you have your kids in too. I have 2 kids, one in kindergarten, the other in 2nd grade. Between their school, piano lessons, and extra math/reading tutorials we make them go to (which they are given homework daily), they really don't have much free time. But we like it that way. Keeps them busy, but of course, it keeps us busy too!

Old 02-16-2012, 05:03 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,136,346 times
And we wonder why other ethnicities kick our kids' collective a$$ in spelling bees and national science/math contests.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: