Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 PM

3 posts, read 3,554 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks... so I accepted a job offer with a company in Houston. The office is located to the south & west of downtown. It is on the West Sam Houston Parkway... looks like just north of Missouri City and not too far from Sugarland. So I am flying in next week to tour the area and try to find places to rent. Probably what will happen is that my Wife and Daughter will stay up here in NJ (Finish the school year, while trying real hard to sell our home) and then move down in the summer.
Since I have never so much as set foot in Texas, here is my plan. Find a small, inexpensive, decent, safe apartment to rent somewhat close to the office. The rental should be month to month, or short-term only as this will not be a permanent fix. During the next 3 months, I will have the chance to explore around, learn the areas and neighborhoods, before deciding on a larger place that the whole family can live.
The Manager at the new job lives in Katy and said it is nice. A Friend said I should look in Sugarland.
I would really appreciate any advise on where I should be looking to rent, or input on this plan. Who should I be contacting to help me find an apartment? I looked around on various websites, and there are seemingly thousands of options. Craigslist seemed like a good place to start??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 AM

225 posts, read 596,269 times
Welcome to Houston!

If it were me, I'd look in Sugarland. Life is easier when you live close to work, and SL looks like a great place to live. I have a friend who just bought a house in New Territory (I think that's the neighborhood?) and loves it.

You are fortunate not to have to commute downtown. That'll save you tons of time and gas money.

Any apartment locator can help you. My friend (the one in Sugarland actually) owns a website you can find by googling "Houston Apartment help." You can even get a rebate (the service is free of charge to you, she gets paid by the apartment complex).

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:11 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,366,761 times
Welcome to Texas. Along Sam Houston tollway, near US 59, not far from where you will work, is a new area referred to as Asian town sometimes. The commercial businesses fronting Sam Houston Tollway are often Asian but there are some engineering and other broader type businesses there as well. Most of the Asian Town area is going to be east of your work location but it offers great variety of places to eat along that corridor. Many think of china town as an old part of town, there are some fairly new retail developments in this Asian town area. I believe it maybe more Vietnese than Chinese from the street signs but Houston has a good mix from many Asian countries.

Good many choices of places to live as earlier posters have provided you.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:13 PM

Thanks for the advise so far. I have not had much success finding short term rentals in Sugarland area... quite a few options out near Katy though. Katy to my office mapquests at 31 minutes... Im sure worse at rush hour. Thats about as far as I would want to go.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Along Sam Houston tollway, near US 59, not far from where you will work, is a new area referred to as Asian town sometimes. The commercial businesses fronting Sam Houston Tollway are often Asian but there are some engineering and other broader type businesses there as well. Most of the Asian Town area is going to be east of your work location but it offers great variety of places to eat along that corridor. Many think of china town as an old part of town, there are some fairly new retail developments in this Asian town area.

Good many choices of places to live as earlier posters have provided you.
hmm.. sounds interesting. My office cant be more than 5 minutes from US59 & Sam Houston Tollway.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:44 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,033,586 times
I've been to both (SugarLand and Katy) and Sugar Land looked much nicer, put-together and closer in. I'd look there in your situation.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:15 PM

13 posts, read 19,093 times
Hi there, we moved here last year, my husband works in Sugar landand we are renting an apartment in Katy......we love it here, the area is very nice and they say schools are great here. It usually takes my husband 30mins to commute to and from work......very rare it takes him longer. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston