U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:32 AM

163 posts, read 583,365 times

Advertisements

Are there any safe neighborhoods with great public schools close to downtown Houston? By "close" I mean an average rush-hour commute time of 30 minutes or less (really would prefer less). Our kids are in elementary and middle school. We plan to rent at first and hope to pay no more than $1200 per month for a single-family residence or townhouse. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:01 AM

9,274 posts, read 22,814,974 times
Go to HAR.Com

Select Residental Lease.

In Uptown/Galleria in the 77057 zip you will find things zoned to Briargrove Elem.Grady middle is getting better. Townhouses along Bering, Augusta, Valley Forge will work.

Other places are anywhere in 77024. Best public K-12 in the Metro

And just outside the Beltway there are a few, Georgetown Complex, in 77079. Excellent K-12

There are more things you could rent zoned to River Oaks Elem and Elems in West U, but I'm not comfortable recommending those areas.Most of those Middle schools seem to have people running away...ITL Locals might be able to pipe in. It's not as cut and dry as the westside of downtown.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:37 PM

6,420 posts, read 9,135,516 times
Meyerland Willowbend Maple all great areas on south west side just outside the loop

Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM

613 posts, read 857,566 times
Inside 610 (inside the loop) will be difficult like EA said. West U Elementary and River Oaks Elementary are excellent schools, but $1200/mo will be difficult to pull off in those areas. The elementary schools around Bellaire are okay as well but depends on where you live as Bellaire zones to three different schools.

Middle Schools inside the loop are not as good as they draw from a larger area. West U zones to Pershing which is mediocre. While a large chunk of kids in West U go to West U Elem, a much smaller number go to Pershing. Many West U parents try to get their kids into the Vanguard program at Lanier Middle School or Pin Oak Middle School, which generally have a better reputation than Pershing (although Pershing does have a Vanguard program as well). Bellaire (or parts of it) zones to Pin Oak. River Oaks zones to Lanier.

Should come as little surprise that areas inside of the loop with a good elementary school are generally also the most expensive to live in. For best mix of cost and schools you generally have to look outside the loop.

Old 02-17-2012, 05:25 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,233,780 times
If you can afford it, private school.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Should come as little surprise that areas inside of the loop with a good elementary school are generally also the most expensive to live in. For best mix of cost and schools you generally have to look outside the loop.
Thanks for all the input. Do neighborhoods outside the loop automatically put me at a commute time of more than 30 minutes? I currently live in Columbia, SC, and my average commute time is 20-30 minutes. I don't mind it at all; it actually gives me time to decompress a little after work. My wife, however, wants me closer to home if we move to Houston. I know in some cases a shorter drive distance-wise on city roads can take just as long (or longer) as a longer drive on highway roads. What are some of the easier-access places outside the loop with good schools? I've been reading a lot about Katy, Sugar Land, and the Woodlands, but the consensus on those seems to indicate a commute time of closer to 45 minutes for those.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:28 PM

2,582 posts, read 7,688,020 times
At 20 minutes yes, at 30 you can go just beyond the loop a little.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM

4,302 posts, read 7,911,847 times
Remember anyone zoned to Pershing may qualify for the "regular" program at Pin Oak. The "magnet" program draws from the whole district, but the "regular" program draws specifically from the Pershing, Long, and Johnston zones. And about Bellaire going to Pin Oak, ALL of Bellaire is zoned to Pershing and Pin Oak, with Pershing being the primary school, but Pin Oak being the "apply to get into regular program" school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Inside 610 (inside the loop) will be difficult like EA said. West U Elementary and River Oaks Elementary are excellent schools, but $1200/mo will be difficult to pull off in those areas. The elementary schools around Bellaire are okay as well but depends on where you live as Bellaire zones to three different schools.

Middle Schools inside the loop are not as good as they draw from a larger area. West U zones to Pershing which is mediocre. While a large chunk of kids in West U go to West U Elem, a much smaller number go to Pershing. Many West U parents try to get their kids into the Vanguard program at Lanier Middle School or Pin Oak Middle School, which generally have a better reputation than Pershing (although Pershing does have a Vanguard program as well). Bellaire (or parts of it) zones to Pin Oak. River Oaks zones to Lanier.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Meyerland Willowbend Maple maybe a nice choice
I tried to look up these areas on the HAR website, but these aren't options, either as "locations" or school districts. Can you tell me what zip code or school district covers these neighborhoods? Thanks.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM

4,302 posts, read 7,911,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoGuy View Post
I tried to look up these areas on the HAR website, but these aren't options, either as "locations" or school districts. Can you tell me what zip code or school district covers these neighborhoods? Thanks.
All are in the Houston Independent School District, but they are covered by different schools.

Meyerland and Maplewood are in the Bellaire High School zone, and Willowbend is in the Westbury High School zone. Different elementary and middle schools serve those communities. For a specific house, you can use School Zone Search Tool to find the zoned schools

Use HAR.com: Houston school information and finder - Search for schools, ranking & compare public schools to find SAT/ACT averages for high schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or