Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,534 times

Advertisements

So I had my final home inspections completed (new construction) by my own third party inspector. I have the report and will be going over it with the builder. Most are simple fixes but there are one or two concerns from the inspector that are a little more involved and creating a question in my mind along the lines of how do I know the problem is truly fixed and what if it isn't?

For instance, one issue is "possible" drainage issue in the back yard. Remember this is new construction. The sod is all brand new and it's the thinner bermuda grass. And it has been raining ALOT recently, including yesterday when the inspection was done. So of course the ground is sloppy. So how do I know a) if there really is a drainage issue and b) how will I know if it's fixed by next week when we close, especially if it doesn't really rain between now and then and c) what if it ends up not being fixed and we have further issues?

These questions apply overall, really. Basically, what happens if things do not get completely fixed before closing or if we realize after closing that something wasn't fixed that was supposed to be. And I'm not talking about little cosmetic things.

We can not move closing either, as we will be homeless the day after we close.

TIA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,135,442 times
Any issues you want to have resolved by the builder - get it in writing with the date, and have the builder approve them. It doesn't have to necessarily get completed before close. Just that they agree to fix them before close. And then you have the 1 year warranty for everything that will cover a lot of it as well if stuff comes up after the close.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,052,476 times
Before closing, your Realtor will likely recommend a final walk through to make sure nothing has changed. If anything has been address, you will likely know there. But, depending on what the drainage issue is, it might not be addressed if the builder doesn't deem it an issue. It's hard to say without knowing what the actual problem is.

If you have further issues after closing that are a result of the builder, they can always come back later and install a french drain or other drainage options. This is only if the problem has no other solution.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Thank you.
Yes, we will be doing a final walk through on the same day we close.
I just didn't want to accept something that appears to be fixed and then realize later it is not and be stuck, so to speak. As long as it can be fixed by the builder under the first year warranty, I am ok with that.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:58 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,298 times
I had the same thoughts and just relied on the warranty. I have one for two years and I've had them out three times on a drainage issue. Finally fixed. So, if it's not really fixed at closing, get 'em on the backside with the warranty.

Ronnie

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,435 times
We closed last April, when had had no rain in eons. We had no idea if the drainage on our property was sufficient or not, until just recently.

If you used a quality builder, you should have no problems having them come out for issues, even past the inspection report 'fixes'. My husband is an inspector, and he inspected our house before closing, and we still had workers here after closing, for little odds and ends.

There are some issues that even the best of inspectors are not going to find, because the issue won't be presenting itself at the time of inspection. Drainage in dry weather is a perfect example. That's what your first-year warranty is for.

And don't forget to have a one-year warranty inspection performed before your one-year anniversary. Most inspectors will do the one-year at a reduced price, if you used the same inspector to inspect the house originally.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:42 AM

237 posts, read 648,058 times
Be cautious....we bought our home last year from Lennar. We had drainage issues as well brought up by our inspector. We brought it to their attention and they fixed one area on the left side of house with drain pipes. The right side of the house we have been fighting with them ever since. The rep for them has lied to us several times, saying he'll have someone look at it, etc. Basically now saying it isn't an issue covered by the warranty because it doesn't affect the foundation. Don't trust anything they say...get it in writing or don't close. I'm about to send letter to corporate office showing them the 8 inches of water standing in the corner of my fence after it rains.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM

538 posts, read 1,361,435 times
The foundation not receiving an even amount of water, can so affect its integrity.

If I were you, I'd see if you can get some sort of consultation in writing, from a reputable foundation repair company. Maybe if you have someone backing you up, they'll listen.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I've confirmed that anything not completed before closing will be listed as such and signed, and fixed asap after closing.
In fact this was brought up by them before I even had a chance to ask.
Trendmaker really seems to stand behind their product, making every effort to make sure the customer is happy. This has been our experience throughout the whole process.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM

833 posts, read 1,884,895 times
Yes a good builder will take care of even after closing. I have a Perry home and the construction manager has been on top of every little nip picky thing I have thrown at him even after closing. The few times the ball has gotten dropped it was a contractor not doing their job and the construction manager addressed it.

I found that putting a service order on their online request is best as it is being tracked by their corporate office and gets more attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: