U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,982,202 times

Advertisements

I thought you were referring to his outlandish prices...went there this past Sat,,,,prices were astronomical. 2500 bucks for a recliner....and it was 'on sale'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 AM

798 posts, read 2,033,547 times
Ive gone there a couple of times, and I have never once bought anything there. I just dont get it. I respect that dude for how hard he works, but I have a hard time understanding the success of the store. I know a ton of it is the finance charges he makes on lower income people. But I have friends with affluent parents who just have a blind faith to that place. Its interesting.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,267 times
He will tell you about his past with addiction if you ask him. He came to my junior high more than once in the eighties to give a talk all about how he was an addict and we should all stay away from drugs. It is no rumor, just an unpleasant truth. He is a recovering cocaine and alcohol addict. He has tried to turn it into a lesson for others and he hires recovering addicts to try to help them get back on their feet.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:18 AM

8,124 posts, read 5,697,149 times
I'm waiting for Mattress Mack to speak intelligible English in his commercials.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:14 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,244,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agmarcia View Post
He will tell you about his past with addiction if you ask him. He came to my junior high more than once in the eighties to give a talk all about how he was an addict and we should all stay away from drugs. It is no rumor, just an unpleasant truth. He is a recovering cocaine and alcohol addict. He has tried to turn it into a lesson for others and he hires recovering addicts to try to help them get back on their feet.

What you are remembering is community service that he started doing after a child was injured on some property he owned. He also came to my elementary school in the late eighty's and talked about drugs...I still remember the story he told that day some 24 years ago.

Here's the story from the Chronicle:
Quote:
McIngvale to start court-ordered work to stop child abuse

JERRY URBAN Staff

MON 05/23/1988 HOUSTON CHRONICLE, Section 1, Page 11, 2 STAR Edition

Houston furniture king Jim "Mac" McIngvale - who prays daily for a child mauled by a lion at a flea market - this week will begin making court-ordered public service announcements aimed at preventing child abuse.

McIngvale said he will be in four different radio and television child abuse announcements that address how broad a problem child abuse is, educate children and parents to recognize child abuse, advise parents to "cool off" before abuse occurs and emphasize the protection of children is "everybody's business."
McIngvale, 37, owner of Gallery Furniture, is best known for his commercials in which he leaps in the air, saying the store can "save you money." But it was his association with the flea market where 8-year-old Roxanne Hernandez was mauled that got McIngvale involved in this situation.
"I hope and pray on a daily basis that she continues to improve," McIngvale said. "Certainly, it's just horrible. I just hope and pray that she continues to improve and gets better."
Last month, state District Judge Ted Poe fined Texas Flea Market Inc. $5,000 and ordered the public service announcements be made as part of criminal punishment after the corporation's attorney Spencer Gardner entered a plea of no-contest to injury to a child charges on behalf of the company.
The lion, which was shot during the attack and later was destroyed, jumped Roxanne Oct. 10 as she and her mother passed a booth where market patrons paid to have photographs taken with the 300-pound lion.
Gardner said Texas Flea Market Inc., which owned the flea market along the North Freeway, was ordered to make the announcements and not McIngvale, who personally decided to be in them. McIngvale and his wife, Linda, are the owners of a company doing business as Gallery Furniture, which owned the flea market. Gardner preferred not to name the parent company.
"He (McIngvale) feels morally obligated to do this," Gardner said.
McIngvale, who has three children, said "it goes without saying" that it was a mistake having the lion at the flea market.
"The incident that happened up there is a terrible tragedy," said McIngvale when asked if the sentence was just. "It's just something that happened unfortunately in life."
He said the public service messages will be presented in a serious way in front of a nondescript background.
The 30-second television and 60-second-radio announcements, he said, should begin in mid-June and last approximately three months. McIngvale and Gardner did not yet have an estimated cost of the announcements, although Gardner said the cost of air time only is anticipated to be about $15,000.
For about two years, McIngvale has been paying for and making anti-drug abuse public service announcements.
Asked why he makes drug abuse announcements and speeches, McIngvale said, "Because I have a debt to pay back to this community that has given so much to me and my wife, my family and employees here."
Yep, that's got drug addict written all over it

Last edited by fordlover; 11-15-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 4,834,909 times
I don't know about the guy personally, but I do know he is the epitome of the American Dream...hard work and a good business can make you extremely successful.

He not only gives back millions of dollars to the community, he also supports all things local. One thing I've always liked is that he tries to hire under privileged people from the area and give them a chance of success and a good place to work.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:45 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,935,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I thought you were referring to his outlandish prices...went there this past Sat,,,,prices were astronomical. 2500 bucks for a recliner....and it was 'on sale'.
lmao!
I'm in the same boat, I've been there several times and never found anything I liked for the right price. Too much hillcountry furniture and the few pieces I liked were overpriced. His recent commercials showed better looking furniture so maybe it has improved.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 AM

5,402 posts, read 12,179,859 times
Default Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
I don't know about the guy personally, but I do know he is the epitome of the American Dream...hard work and a good business can make you extremely successful.

He not only gives back millions of dollars to the community, he also supports all things local. One thing I've always liked is that he tries to hire under privileged people from the area and give them a chance of success and a good place to work.
Does he also own the Fry's store on I45? 'Seems like only under privileged youth, and gangsters work there. Why is that? Most of the faces I see working there all look like gangstas. Must be just me I'm sure.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:35 PM

6,846 posts, read 12,394,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Does he also own the Fry's store on I45? 'Seems like only under privileged youth, and gangsters work there. Why is that? Most of the faces I see working there all look like gangstas. Must be just me I'm sure.
what does a gangsta's face look like?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,079 times
I saw a piece on TV where Mac was in the Hospital recently. I don't know if he will see this or not. I was diagnosed with stage four lymphoma in 2005. After two rounds of chemo and the cancer came back the second time in 2009, my brother told me about asparagus possibly being good for cancer. After 60 days taking 4 tablespoons of canned asparagus spears that was blended for about 3 minutes, the cancer was gone. I go back to M.D.Anderson once a year and have been clean since September of 2009. If any one would like to read my testimony I wrote, I would be glad to e-mail it to you. Thanks, Jim Moehle [email]jamesamoehle@gmail.com[/email]. Have a blessed day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or