Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:44 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmwealth View Post
Really? I very rarely go to McDonald's, but when I take road trips sometimes I'll stop at one. The last time I tried to depend on McDonald's for internet access was about 2008. I know it sounds like ancient times but McD's used to have Boingo wifi access then.

So I'll check again. I live near a McD's (who doesn't??) so I'll check to see if they have any outlets.

I'm still looking for a spot with decent food though. Thanks.
It's going to be really hard to find a place with decent food that will let you sit there for a couple of hours on your laptop. It may not be a policy of theirs but I'm sure you'll get enough looks from the staff to make you feel pretty uncomfortable. But I hope there is a place out there because I do a lot of work from home and would love to find a place like that. Going to McDonald's often kinda sucks and I'm pretty sure I'm sacrificing my health. I try to stick with salads but for some odd reason I still feel like those are unhealthy there too.

If you do decide on McDonald's try the ones that have been renovated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Get a Verizon MiFi card and an external battery for your computer and then you can eat anywhere you want.

McDonald's? Yuck!
I can't speak for the OP but having a Verizon Card (which I do have) and an external battery isn't really the issue. Some restaurants don't really like when you sit there for a few hours on your laptop. It may not bother the OP but personally it makes me uncomfortable when the wait staff gives you the "when is he going to leave" looks. I try to limit my time at any place to about 3 hours and that includes Starbucks and McDonald's.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:37 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,825,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I can't speak for the OP but having a Verizon Card (which I do have) and an external battery isn't really the issue. Some restaurants don't really like when you sit there for a few hours on your laptop. It may not bother the OP but personally it makes me uncomfortable when the wait staff gives you the "when is he going to leave" looks. I try to limit my time at any place to about 3 hours and that includes Starbucks and McDonald's.
If the place isn't busy (and many restaurants aren't busy at all between the lunch crowd and the dinner crowd), the wait staff usually doesn't care as long as you are generous with either a tip from lunch or with the tips you leave on whatever you buy to drink as you are sitting there.

Or maybe this works for me because I have usually chosen restaurants in suburbs...perhaps in Houston things are more packed so restaurant staff are more uptight.

I have also worked in hotel lobbies - that works, too.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:59 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Fioza here in Meyerland I've used. food and coffee are good but it's not like a sit down meal type place. heard about it from this forum. Most hot spots are in coffee like shops that is maybe why you are having difficulty finding something else.

Brasil in Montrose I use as well but they will definitely start staring you down after a bit. They have a full bar and kitchen

Old 02-18-2012, 09:16 PM

One other thing...I'd always heard that free wifi isn't secure at all so I never use it. That's the main benefit of the MiFi card.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:56 AM

621 posts, read 1,333,073 times
Quote:
Thank you, but rather than hunting through this list, I would prefer to hear from someone that has first-hand experience of a particular hotspot that they like. Thanks.

You should really just try some on this list for yourself.....

WiFi - Wireless Internet Access Hot Spots in Houston - B4-U-EAT

Old 02-19-2012, 11:25 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Fioza cafe in Meyerland is a great place. Wifi, excellent coffee, and a good food selection.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:33 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Thank you, but rather than hunting through this list, I would prefer to hear from someone that has first-hand experience of a particular hotspot that they like. Thanks.
LOL, translated: "I don't need the textbook, somebody else will do my homework for me."

Whatever you do, don't go to McDonalds.

Ronnie

Old 02-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
LOL, translated: "I don't need the textbook, somebody else will do my homework for me."
What would be the purpose of this forum if the response to everything was, "Go look it up online?"

Old 02-20-2012, 10:57 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,172,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
What would be the purpose of this forum if the response to everything was, "Go look it up online?"
I think the board serves a greater purpose by being focussed when someone, say, posts:

"I've looked thoroughly at three areas in [name a spot] and can't distinguish which has the best [name something]. Does anyone have exerience they can share?"

I think that's 10x more productive than:

"I'm moving from X to Houston and want:

1. Trees
2. The best schools
3. Entertainment within walking distance
4. A beach
5. Great restaurants
6. A barn to keep my horse

...any suggestions?"

...but that's just me.

Ronnie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston