U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 6,208 times

Advertisements

Hi
Multicultural European family has the opportunity to relocate to Houston, but not sure if it's a good choice. We would like to explore all our options before making our final decision. We have lived in Australia, Norway, France, Denmark, Germany and are used to relocating. Let's say Norway is our home base.

Currently we live an expat lifestyle in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) (ie live-in maid, child care, car, housing, insurance provided for). Life is good in KL (3 years now), but partner with MBA does not get work permit w/o sponsorship and/or can only get local conditions. Perhaps Houston has better job opportunities than KL, so we want to check out Houston among other options (Aberdeen, Abu Dhabi and Stavanger). But we are not sure where to start. For us, there is no perfect country or perfect place, so it's a matter of choosing the best possible option

Work office is on Katy Freeway. If we come to Houston for a preview trip for 3d, which suburbs should we visit? Obviously we cannot visit all places in 3 days. Which suburbs would best meet our preferences => child cares/medical centres/restaurants/groceries within 30 min drive from our home place?

Your well thought advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 AM

2,465 posts, read 4,798,580 times
Yeah, I miss the KL life with two maids and having lunch every day at the Beach club, my office was right across :-)
But Houston don't compare with KL from a lifestyle perspective, forget about maids. If you can bring yours along as we did for 4 years, that's better than hiring someone here which is very expensive. There is a special visa they can get.
Bit other than that Houston is very diverse and very very international. So you will have fun here.
Forget about Aberdeen and Stavanger, both locations are boring, cold and nothing to do.
If you can get the Abu Dhabi location I will recommend that over Houston, since the lifestyle is almost like in KL. Personally I don't care much for UAE and extreme/radical muslim culture so I didn't stay there much.

I assume that you already have job options in those locations? If not, Houston is your best bet then...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 12,866,248 times
I have a good friend who was transferred to Aberdeen... been there a few years now and has been itching to get back to Houston the entire time.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM

8,626 posts, read 16,248,131 times
Is anyone going to advise them on suburbs to look at as they are asking for suggestions to look at?? What is your price range for a home? Weston Lakes might be nice for you. Memorial. I am not too familiar with the upscale neighborhoods in Katy but there are other on this forum who are.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,216,534 times
Cinco ranch

Old 02-19-2012, 07:33 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,495,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milou2010 View Post
Hi
Multicultural European family has the opportunity to relocate to Houston, but not sure if it's a good choice. We would like to explore all our options before making our final decision. We have lived in Australia, Norway, France, Denmark, Germany and are used to relocating. Let's say Norway is our home base.

Currently we live an expat lifestyle in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) (ie live-in maid, child care, car, housing, insurance provided for). Life is good in KL (3 years now), but partner with MBA does not get work permit w/o sponsorship and/or can only get local conditions. Perhaps Houston has better job opportunities than KL, so we want to check out Houston among other options (Aberdeen, Abu Dhabi and Stavanger). But we are not sure where to start. For us, there is no perfect country or perfect place, so it's a matter of choosing the best possible option

Work office is on Katy Freeway. If we come to Houston for a preview trip for 3d, which suburbs should we visit? Obviously we cannot visit all places in 3 days. Which suburbs would best meet our preferences => child cares/medical centres/restaurants/groceries within 30 min drive from our home place?

Your well thought advice is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Try Houston, its a diverse international city with a good cost of living for what it offers. I recommend you consider homes in 77079 close to the office and most things you may want as is Cinco but with a longer commute. Tell me more about your school needs and budget. I had a maid in Houston who came in weekly for around $75/week. Houston has great medical care options and the med center hospitals have satelite hospitals near the area you work which are big hospitals themselves however if you need world class care, the medical center from 77079 zip code is 20 miles with time dependent on time of day. Hope you enjoy Houston and dont miss the expat life too much

Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Our son is 2 years old, and he goes to montessori pre-school here in KL, so we would like to continue with montessori if possible. I understand that pre-schools are widely available, so it should not be an issue then. As for rental budget, I am not too sure but would guess something b/w 1500-2000usd a month? Not sure if we should buy or rent ... Will def check out those places you recommended, weston lakes, cinco, cuatro when we come for preview trip.

Ethanw, yeah Stavanger is cold and boring, so we don't want to move back home (yet). We got the option to extend in KL for 1 more year, but wife wants to work. Job options in Aberdeen/AD, but we are a bit concerned about the religion/local rights in AD as well.

Good to learn that it's very international. Any further advice is much appreciated.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:18 AM

4,517 posts, read 11,314,119 times
Don't buy unless you will be here over 5 years or you will lose money on the house.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM

101 posts, read 297,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milou2010 View Post
Hi
Life is good in KL (3 years now), but partner with MBA does not get work permit w/o sponsorship and/or can only get local conditions.
Don't come to Houston then. God forbid you end up having to work according to local conditions.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Default Preview trip in Houston - which suburbs to visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Try Houston, its a diverse international city with a good cost of living for what it offers. I recommend you consider homes in 77079 close to the office and most things you may want as is Cinco but with a longer commute. Tell me more about your school needs and budget. I had a maid in Houston who came in weekly for around $75/week. Houston has great medical care options and the med center hospitals have satelite hospitals near the area you work which are big hospitals themselves however if you need world class care, the medical center from 77079 zip code is 20 miles with time dependent on time of day. Hope you enjoy Houston and dont miss the expat life too much
My wife will go to Houston for a preview trip in April. My company is Technip (11700 Katy Fwy # 150, Houston, TX 77079). Would Kathy be a good suburb to live in? Our son is 2 years old and we look for preschools near Kathy. Which other suburbs would you recommend? We like outdoor activities (if we live by lakes, parks, bicycle tracks - it would be great). Some friends recommend Cypress. Any comments? My wife may get a job for IBM or Accenture. Thanks heaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or