U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,792,394 times

Advertisements

enough i will end all this houston dallas stuff !!! I will personally build a massive high speed rails to connect the two cities that way within 30 to 40 years area around both cities will fill in and they will merge into one mega city !!! Dallaston..lol ..

Old 02-24-2012, 12:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 4,235,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
?. How can you claim Dallas to be more urban than Houston when they have recently in the past few years started getting its Uptown together. Houston has been having its Uptown for years as well as many other business districts. I mean I was in Dallas a few months ago and it still does not give me a big city urban vibe like Houston does. I think the only thing that Dallas has over Houston is that they have zoning which makes things look cleaner and more organized but not necessarily urban. I mean don't get me wrong DFW has its urban areas but Houston just has more and Dallas is catching up.

Texas Medical Center, Greenspoint, Downtown, Midtown, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, Westchase, Energy Corridor, Memorial, Montorse, Gulfgate ect. All of these are in the city limits of Houston. Dallas or DFW does not have area like these, not even half. Even the Woodlands is taking small urban turn.

A diverse and cultured environment is very important for an urban environment. This alone is something that I have a hard time viewing in Dallas. I also see that Dallas does not have a very strong fine art presence. Dallas does not have a Museum District, Theater District or an area as quirky as Midtown or Montrose. Houston culture is probably the 2nd best in the state when it comes to city culture. Now Houston is diverse but San Antonio has culture, Hispanic roots have a very large presence in that city.

One thing that I will give Dallas is that they have successfully planned their rail system and their neighboring cities are going to benefit from it because of the layout. When Metro completes the rail system it will be just as nice but with a higher ridership. I really wish that the city of Houston would look into a rail on I45 from Conroe to Galveston. This alone will help boost business and tourism. Both of the major airports and some of Houston main business districts are along this interstate. (Downtown, Conroe, The Woodlands, Greenspoint, Webster/Clear Lake(NASA), Galveston) They can connect the rail in DT which will boost ridership on the rails inside the loop and bring more business into the business districts. I think it will also cause growth to those areas on the Gulf Freeway to Galveston which is a great thing.

Thats just may take.
I agree. And i never said Dallas was more urban than Houston. I said development wise, it's leading on urban development.I've been saying that Dallas is starting to catch up to what Houston has done for many years, except they're building in a slightly different style which makes it more compact, modern, thus looking urban.

I am not saying at all that Dallas is the more urban city. I'm well aware of those areas you mention but i want to see more development around the downtown/midtown core. I really wish Hardy Rail Yards had come to fruition. That could've been Houston's version of Victory.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)

Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM

9,788 posts, read 7,650,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
enough i will end all this houston dallas stuff !!! I will personally build a massive high speed rails to connect the two cities that way within 30 to 40 years area around both cities will fill in and they will merge into one mega city !!! Dallaston..lol ..
You laugh.

Thirty or forty years ago, Craig Washington tried and tried to get the State of Texas to do just that. Southwest and Muse airlines told us that thousands of people a day traveled between Houston, DFW, SA and Austin. He worked for years trying to get a high speed rail triangle between those cities.

Couple that with the annexation wars. We used to see city limit signs for Houston almost to Waco. And Dallas city limits almost to Waco.The lege stepped in and put a stop to it. Made a rule that said cities could only annex a certain % of their area a year.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:37 AM

12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
So what's the status on those proposed urban mixed used projects in Houston?

Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think the arterial roads will develop into nice pedestrian areas. But the neighborhoods need plenty of work as well. I know Htown and somebody else explained to me the reason why some neighborhoods have no sidewalks and it's understandable. I still disagree with the concept though. Pedestrians will not walk anywhere consistently or even at all in places where they do not feel they are comfortable. I do not believe pedestrians want to compete on the same area with cars riding 15 mph let alone 25 mph and I don't think drivers want to do it either as it will become annoying. Some areas have no sidewalk, some have a sidewalk but it magically disappears. Those neighborhoods in bold are ugly and not finished to me. That's me though.

I just moved back to DC. This city is so walkable from the arterial networks to the secondary roads to the side streets in neighborhoods. It is night and day from Houston. They don't have to be 6-8-12 feet either.
Yeah the side walks are a consent thing for now, and many residents decline on it thinking its a liability. However I think there will come a time when the city will just go ahead and put them all in everywhere all 57,896 miles of concrete needed to side walk the city. Man that is a lot of concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
It would be nice to have the rails elevated in parts of Houston. Or... just shut down the WP and Hardy toll and turn those elevated tolls into tracks.
Don't see those two happening but it would be a good idea.

Quote:
You missed his point. In Houston, you could actually walk to each station because they aren't far apart. It's entire system is an urban transit system but in a way of a tram or streetcar. DART outside of Downtown, is different. DART stations are not very walkable between each other and the system turns into a commuter system. Similar to DC with it's HRT system. Outside of DC, metrorail becomes a commuter system and the stations are much further apart.

I really wish Houston and Dallas actually had Heavy Rail. Dallas system is better suited for a HRT system than LRT IMO mostly because of the capacity. In fact, for Houston's sake, if the city continues to increase density inside the loop, they may need to explore it.
This is what he can't understand. most cities make sure that people, once they get into town can go all over town without switching to buses, BEFORE they get a commuter system. Dallas is trying to do both at the same time, which results in lower ridership which results in lower confidence in the system.

I mean with all the rail that Dallas built in the 2000's, The Dart total transportation system had higher ridership in the 1990's. It is not until a few months ago that Dallas matched the ridership it had back in the 1990. So they spent all this money, building all these miles of rail, while the population of DART member cities increased by 100's of thousands and ridership actually went down??? 1990's- http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf
After all the zillions of miles of rail-
http://www.apta.com/resources/statis...rship_APTA.pdf

Way to go there DART on building a system people had confidence in. Makes you wonder what the ridership numbers would be and how much people would have been moving to the Dallas instead of the burbs if all 70 miles of DART rail was crammed into the city of Dallas. Bet you anything a lot more of that 1.2M people who moved to DFW would have moved to the city instead of the 10K that did.

There are about 32 light rail systems in the country. In terms of riders per mile DART is ranked about 25 and Metrorail is ranked 2nd. DART has less than 1000 riders per mile, Metro has close to 5000 per mile.

Anyway, I agree with SPADE. Houston made mistakes too. they should have invested in Heavy rail.

Its light rail system is ferrying people at numbers greater than or close to Heavy rail systems in the country.

Houston Metro- 5000 people per mile
Chicago CTA 6100
BART- 3660
MARTA- 5179
Baltimore Subway- 3700
Miami Metro- 2700

I am just scared that Houston's system might outgrow itself soon. Riding that thing threw the medical center is already a pain, and it gets too crazy packed during special events

Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

18,509 posts, read 27,254,497 times
Quote:
There is nothing like a state thomas area in Houston. Dallas had a head start on Houston with TODs. Uptown also has expanded very well. Most of the new urban areas are basically around and in Downtown Dallas. Houston though has the potential to have the larger denser urban area. Houston's homes have always looked more urban to me from the older style homes to the newer sfh. Houston also has more multifamily areas than Dallas under construction. Basically, Dallas multifamily developments basically are in a general area which again is basically in or near its core. Houston scatters them all over the loop plus the galleria in addition to having denser sfh.
Visited midtown the other day and I think it would give state Thomas a run for its money

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

midtown sure has grown in the last decade

Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,235,312 times
I was noticing that too driving last night. Midtown has some nice activity going on. especially around the new restaurants at Mix@Midtown.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:31 AM

659 posts, read 1,152,911 times
Fake urbanity aside. Houston will always be more of a real city than Douchlas. The name itself makes one want to gag...Dallas. Really? Cheese fest. Certainly, all of the fake people in Douchlas will be able to "make it work." I can't believe I wasted all that time in such a fake empire. WAJ

Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 AM

159 posts, read 238,560 times
I have no dog in this fight, I mean discussion. I am not from Texas originally, have lived in DFW before and spend considerable time in Houston. I really want to like Houston but I cannot , compared to Dallas. To me, Dallas has more of an urban feel even though Houston may have more inner core. Houston downtown, to me, seems like a place where many many people come to work and then try to get the h_ll out of there as quick as they can when they are not working, or to beat the traffic jams. Just a sense that I get.

Carpe

Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,790,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpe777 View Post
I have no dog in this fight, I mean discussion. I am not from Texas originally, have lived in DFW before and spend considerable time in Houston. I really want to like Houston but I cannot , compared to Dallas. To me, Dallas has more of an urban feel even though Houston may have more inner core. Houston downtown, to me, seems like a place where many many people come to work and then try to get the h_ll out of there as quick as they can when they are not working, or to beat the traffic jams. Just a sense that I get.

Carpe
Sounds like Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston