U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM
 
229 posts, read 246,658 times
Reputation: 307

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, you are not comparing Dallas to Boston and SF are you???

and just like these areas are growing into each other in Dallas they are doing the same in Houston.

No, I am not comparing Dallas to those cities. I don't believe I said anything like that. You keep boasting about how large Houston's this and that is, but what you don't seem to realize is being big isn't all that. It is how a city is developed that matters. Dallas is not as big as Houston, as you have pointed out many times, but it is developing in a way that, in my opinion, is going to make it seem much more urban and dense than it already does.

 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM
 
982 posts, read 1,039,795 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
and just like these areas are growing into each other in Dallas they are doing the same in Houston.
Yes but what most are saying is that in Dallas, these areas are farther along in terms of growing into each other than Houston at this point in time. I'm not sure you can really get a true feel of the uptown Dallas(or any area or city for that matter) from google maps. In reality, uptown Dallas is more walkable and pedestrian-friendly than Houston's, period. In time, Houston will get there but currently Dallas is ahead(which was the original point of the thread)
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,242 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Reputation: 9007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dallas is NOT as connected as you guys make it seem. I look at the two on Google maps and Houstons Development run for miles longer.

There are More areas in Dallas that are closer, but they are not connected. The The Binz to Almeda to Lower Midtown, to Montrose to Allen Parkway, To Washington Ave to the Heights is larger than the Dallas areas.

Look at the State Thomas area for example. Pull it up on Google maps and zoom out to see how quickly it fades. Compare it to the Webster area near Freedmen's town. Look how longer the higher density developments run.
I disagree. Dallas urban area is more connected now than Houston's. It is also more consistent. Houston is working on this. But they are not there now. Houston probably has more urban developments. But it's basically like this. It's over here and it's over there. There are too many breaks. Unlike Dallas like jbarn said, State-Thomas is right next to West Village. It's right next to Uptown. It's right next to Turtle Creek. Uptown will connect with Downtown when the park is finished. Dallas is also starting to connect more with the areas to the South with Deep Ellum and North Oak Cliff. Dallas as of right now has the upper hand on this on Houston. This could change. But as of right now, Dallas immediate urban area is more connected than Houston's.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,279,885 times
Reputation: 7567
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Yes but what most are saying is that in Dallas, these areas are farther along in terms of growing into each other than Houston at this point in time. I'm not sure you can really get a true feel of the uptown Dallas(or any area or city for that matter) from google maps. In reality, uptown Dallas is more walkable and pedestrian-friendly than Houston's, period. In time, Houston will get there but currently Dallas is ahead(which was the original point of the thread)
for the zillionth time we are not comparing uptown. we are comparing Uptown Dallas to the midtown area of HOuston.

and I was not comparing the feel of the areas on google. On size I said zooming out on google maps you can clearly see that the areas in question in Dallas are smaller.
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,279,885 times
Reputation: 7567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I disagree. Dallas urban area is more connected now than Houston's. It is also more consistent. Houston is working on this. But they are not there now. Houston probably has more urban developments. But it's basically like this. It's over here and it's over there. There are too many breaks. Unlike Dallas like jbarn said, State-Thomas is right next to West Village. It's right next to Uptown. It's right next to Turtle Creek. Uptown will connect with Downtown when the park is finished. Dallas is also starting to connect more with the areas to the South with Deep Ellum and North Oak Cliff. Dallas as of right now has the upper hand on this on Houston. This could change. But as of right now, Dallas immediate urban area is more connected than Houston's.
Same thing here. Midtown here is connected to Montrose, it is connected to Allen parkway area, it is connected to Downtown it is connected to the Museum District, it is connected to 3rd ward it is connected to Binz.

I don't think you guys are appreciating how small the higher density areas around uptown Dallas are. And it is not as connected as you guys are making it seem.

It may seem that way, but there are clear breaks.

also look at the density maps:
Dallas: http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map
Houston: http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map

no contest, while the areas around DT Dallas has a smaller area with mainly 6000 ppsm Houston has a huge area with densities at 8000 ppsm.

Houston has a ton more urban development around its core
 
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,242 posts, read 25,941,171 times
Reputation: 9007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Same thing here. Midtown here is connected to Montrose, it is connected to Allen parkway area, it is connected to Downtown it is connected to the Museum District, it is connected to 3rd ward it is connected to Binz.

I don't think you guys are appreciating how small the higher density areas around uptown Dallas are. And it is not as connected as you guys are making it seem.

It may seem that way, but there are clear breaks.
The breaks in Dallas are not as noticable as they are in Houston as they are connecting and filling in faster than Houston is as of right now. You cannot possibly tell me that you will notice a break between West Village and State Thomas that much and in turn head to Uptown and then Victory. This area, whether small or not, is more connected than anywhere in Houston as of this point.

Houston may have larger developments. But again, they are over here and over there and over that way compared to Dallas which is just basically, there. Not to mention that most of the newer intown Dallas urban developments are easier to get to with DART and the streetcars. You can say what you can about DART and it's pathetic rail ridership number (which BTW, must get props as it's now over 83,000 and climbing. Good job, DART).
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 27,279,885 times
Reputation: 7567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The breaks in Dallas are not as noticable as they are in Houston as they are connecting and filling in faster than Houston is as of right now. You cannot possibly tell me that you will notice a break between West Village and State Thomas that much and in turn head to Uptown and then Victory. This area, whether small or not, is more connected than anywhere in Houston as of this point.

Houston may have larger developments. But again, they are over here and over there and over that way compared to Dallas which is just basically, there. Not to mention that most of the newer intown Dallas urban developments are easier to get to with DART and the streetcars.
all I am saying is that the urban feel of Dallas doesn't last as long as in Houston.

The whole 4th ward area in Houston is huge and filled with more urban developments.

Even though State Thomas and W Village is connected, these areas are small.

It might just be my feeling, but I get a longer continuous development around Houston than I do in Dallas. More continuous higher density residences over a wider area
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Austin/Houston
2,819 posts, read 4,240,006 times
Reputation: 2073
I see what Htown s trying to say, Houston has a string of urban development that run in a long vertical line from the Medical Center all the way up to Downtown, which technically covers as much or more area as Dallas's. But sadly to admit, Dallas's urban development is running over ours right now. Houston is catching on, but Dallas is further along on theirs. Areas in and around Downtown seem brighter and more stuff is around its downtown.

As i remember, it didn't seem to take long before Uptown Dallas had sprouted up like weeds. It seemed like it was only a year before a high concentration of new buildings and townhouses were just all over the place in Uptown. Maybe the Dynamo area will witness a similar renaissance with the addition of lightrail. We still have a ways to go before we catch up to Dallas's urban development.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
 
2 posts, read 3,415 times
Reputation: 11
First off, my first post after many time just coming to read. I lived 15 years in Houston, and now reside outside of Dallas in Coppell, lived in Uptown for 2 years till last year.
Uptown Dallas is not as "walk-friendly" as many of you people say. Even the Uptown area is broken down into different sections within Uptown. I think the way you have to look at it as Houston has a few more "uptown" areas than Dallas's main hub. The Dart is still a huge joke to the western half of the city..I use and love it, but it doesn't help me get anywhere but downtown, anything else is a car ride on one of the tollways. The cities are plain and simple two different cities and the cultures reflect that, and they will never seem the same. Which is good gives us Texans more places to visit that are not the same all the time!
 
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
 
982 posts, read 1,039,795 times
Reputation: 1258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
for the zillionth time we are not comparing uptown. we are comparing Uptown Dallas to the midtown area of HOuston.
.
Well its already been established that Uptown Dallas is superior to Midtown Houston currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top