Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM

998 posts, read 1,319,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Well if planning was so great in Dallas
I didn't say planning was "great" in dallas. I just said that it is better than Houston's and I stand by that. For the record, I'm from Houston.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:22 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,799,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I didn't say planning was "great" in dallas. I just said that it is better than Houston's and I stand by that. For the record, I'm from Houston.
You sure you don't mean zoning and appearances, rather than planning?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,404,628 times
blushing

Old 02-19-2012, 11:49 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,702,774 times
It's a no-brainer that Dallas has more urban development than Houston.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
I don't find Dallas to have more or better urban development than Houston. Maybe you are seeing effects of their zoning, as someone else said. Dallas is notoriously known for trying so hard to keep a good appearance and sweeping their dirt under the rug. I personally prefer the realness and more organic and relaxed feel of Austin and Houston. Austin has zoning but it's perhaps not as obvious or strict as it is in Dallas.

Even if Dallas may "look" nicer on the surface, I think Houston is superior in culture, arts, food, and overall vibe. Houston's foliage and trees are much better too.

I don't think Houston people are apathetic, just in the last decade Houston seems to have undergone huge changes for the better. Houston got closer than Dallas for hosting the Olympics, and Houston was a better host city for the Super Bowl. Houston's walkscore is higher than Dallas' and Austin's. Houston's public transit has higher ridership than Dallas', and the light rail is still well ahead of Austin and San Antonio. Speaking of, have you forgotten that it was your Tom Delay who diverted light rail funds from Houston to Dallas? There you go.
Dallas and Houston restaurants are pretty much tied. Neighborhoods in Dallas do look cleaner and better crafted than Houston neighborhoods.

Fashion, radio/television and urban development is better in Dallas.

Houston is more international, diverse and has better fine arts than Dallas.

Both cities have it's pros and cons but Dallas edges Houston in terms of urban development.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:14 PM

23,789 posts, read 14,911,610 times
Growing up in Houston, I never got the competition between Dallas and Houston. Then we moved to Dallas.

It is way easier to live in Dallas. They do city government better than Houston. DH liked the fact that he could get to work downtown without being tethered to a freeway.

Much of "Houston" is in unincorporated Harris County. Harris County is not nearly as consumer friendly as either the COH or Dallas.

The Dallas Morning News recognizes that it has readers all over the Metro. The Chronicle just about ignores vast areas of Harris, Montgomery and Ft. Bend counties. The Chronicle and the COH are ITL organizations. Not much thought is given to the rest of the community.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:29 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,895,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Dallas and Houston restaurants are pretty much tied. Neighborhoods in Dallas do look cleaner and better crafted than Houston neighborhoods.

Fashion, radio/television and urban development is better in Dallas.

Houston is more international, diverse and has better fine arts than Dallas.

Both cities have it's pros and cons but Dallas edges Houston in terms of urban development.
How is Dallas far ahead in urban development? Dallas is ahead in TODs, but that's it. Houston just has a larger urban core, so the developments are more spread out. In a few more years, as more developments continue to pop up and as the rail lines in the Inner Loop open up, then they different "urban nodes" will be more connected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Growing up in Houston, I never got the competition between Dallas and Houston. Then we moved to Dallas.

It is way easier to live in Dallas. They do city government better than Houston. DH liked the fact that he could get to work downtown without being tethered to a freeway.

Much of "Houston" is in unincorporated Harris County. Harris County is not nearly as consumer friendly as either the COH or Dallas.

The Dallas Morning News recognizes that it has readers all over the Metro. The Chronicle just about ignores vast areas of Harris, Montgomery and Ft. Bend counties. The Chronicle and the COH are ITL organizations. Not much thought is given to the rest of the community.
Anyone can look at a map and see that what you saying is false. Houston has a huge grid layout, even outside the city limits and in the unincorporated areas. And the Chronicle is all over Metro Houston. I've seen it everywhere when I lived down there.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:52 PM

12,734 posts, read 21,679,655 times
Cool urban development in Dallas.
Downtown Dallas Commercial Real Estate | The Spire Dallas

Old 02-19-2012, 01:37 PM

23,789 posts, read 14,911,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
How is Dallas far ahead in urban development? Dallas is ahead in TODs, but that's it. Houston just has a larger urban core, so the developments are more spread out. In a few more years, as more developments continue to pop up and as the rail lines in the Inner Loop open up, then they different "urban nodes" will be more connected.

Anyone can look at a map and see that what you saying is false. Houston has a huge grid layout, even outside the city limits and in the unincorporated areas. And the Chronicle is all over Metro Houston. I've seen it everywhere when I lived down there.
You are chitin me, right.

Tell me how to get from Bellaire to Baytown avoiding freeways. Show me 3 ways to get from Hobby Airport to Champions without a freeway. Can't take all day, either.

Just look at the discussion regarding to Grand Parkway on CD. Folks here referred to Houston highways as a target.

I was speaking of editorial, not circulation. You know, what the paper covers. Things like news, government, sports. The DMN recognized it's readers lived all over the metroplex. They even put a big office with reporters, etc. in Plano.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,155,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You are chitin me, right.

Tell me how to get from Bellaire to Baytown avoiding freeways. Show me 3 ways to get from Hobby Airport to Champions without a freeway. Can't take all day, either.
Type it in one of many mapping or GPS devices and avoid freeways. You can avoid them in every city and much of the time it's a slower and longer ride. Dallas is somehow special because of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston