U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:48 PM

157 posts, read 246,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
That is the point ..how did you know you where mentioned on a thread almost five months old???. You said you want nothing to do with houston
.yet you so happened to just be crusing the houston thread..the very day your name is randomly dropped??????
My name gets dropped by Houston nitwits. leave me out out of your sick world.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
My name gets dropped by Houston nitwits. leave me out out of your sick world.
So your spider sense went off and said..hey your name is being mention

Old 09-29-2013, 04:28 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,011,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
This is the attitude that I'm talking about.

You obviously can't read as I did not call Houston medicore. I stated that Houstonians tend to settle for mediocrity; which means there is seemingly little to no interest in going above and beyond what is actually needed at the time. Perhaps "apathetic" may be a better word. Dallas is the opposite. They recognized their deficiences and had a plan to address them. Their initiatives may be contrived and over the top now, but they are well positioned for the future because they invested in certain things while Houston came late to the party.
I do not defend the Houston boosters, but I can see how Houston is a top notch city, but I can also see how it is still lacking. I can see both point of views.

The thing is not only that Houston lacks zoning but that it is for all intents and purposes a practical city with kind of a lack of quality of life, or to put it better, it doesn't pride itself in solely seeking to create a quality of life for it's residents like most American cities in the country. It seeks to create a standard of living which in the city's eyes will foster an individual to seek out a quality of life for themselves. You have to sort of create your own QOL in Houston, it's not just there and given to you. Houston just sets up the jobs and caters to the businesses and gives them what they want, but you have to with your own money seek out a life in the city. Most other cities, despite the opposition of any business will raise taxes to build or develop public spaces, they will zone and deny businesses the use of some lands, they will deny extensions of certain businesses in order to leave something preserved. They will do these these things to preserve the cities quality of life. That is practically unheard of in Houston.

A lot of Houstonians prefer that. They would prefer a lower COL and more money in their pockets and a city that doesn't just give you a quality of life. They prefer that trade off because you can find your own niche in Houston anyways. You can create your own quality of life in Houston. Sure you're going to be driving all over the place to get it but I guess that is what they prefer.

I know it drives a lot of people who came from cities like LA, NYC, Boston, San Fran and DC nuts, but Houstonians are happy with their arrangement but it's mostly out of fear, and the local leaders scare them all the time with this, that if anything is done to disrupt this order then Houston will end up like California, all broke with no jobs, no funds, no investments. It's total BS of course, but the professionals and highly skilled workers taking advantage of the economic growth bought it hook line and sinker.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:13 PM

157 posts, read 246,963 times
Default I wish you health and good things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
So your spider sense went off and said..hey your name is being mention
Just drop my name. I have no use for you or your kind.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:23 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Just drop my name. I have no use for you or your kind.
Then you should avoid the houston thread then or u might randomly repond to a five month ol
d tread again

Old 09-30-2013, 02:46 AM

33,564 posts, read 51,767,813 times
Closed.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:33 AM

561 posts, read 819,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I do not defend the Houston boosters, but I can see how Houston is a top notch city, but I can also see how it is still lacking. I can see both point of views.

The thing is not only that Houston lacks zoning but that it is for all intents and purposes a practical city with kind of a lack of quality of life, or to put it better, it doesn't pride itself in solely seeking to create a quality of life for it's residents like most American cities in the country. It seeks to create a standard of living which in the city's eyes will foster an individual to seek out a quality of life for themselves. You have to sort of create your own QOL in Houston, it's not just there and given to you. Houston just sets up the jobs and caters to the businesses and gives them what they want, but you have to with your own money seek out a life in the city. Most other cities, despite the opposition of any business will raise taxes to build or develop public spaces, they will zone and deny businesses the use of some lands, they will deny extensions of certain businesses in order to leave something preserved. They will do these these things to preserve the cities quality of life. That is practically unheard of in Houston.

A lot of Houstonians prefer that. They would prefer a lower COL and more money in their pockets and a city that doesn't just give you a quality of life. They prefer that trade off because you can find your own niche in Houston anyways. You can create your own quality of life in Houston. Sure you're going to be driving all over the place to get it but I guess that is what they prefer.

I know it drives a lot of people who came from cities like LA, NYC, Boston, San Fran and DC nuts, but Houstonians are happy with their arrangement but it's mostly out of fear, and the local leaders scare them all the time with this, that if anything is done to disrupt this order then Houston will end up like California, all broke with no jobs, no funds, no investments. It's total BS of course, but the professionals and highly skilled workers taking advantage of the economic growth bought it hook line and sinker.

BOOM!!! I vote this THE best post of the year! So much insight, objective and to the point. Some people see it, some people dont. This person absolutely does. And unfortunately, many in Houston dont. As long as they have more money and a bigger house, they dont care, what a neighborhood or a city in general will feel, and seem like. Lower COL is all that matters, where the quality is largely dependent on how quickly a developer can build it and market it as "cool and hip".

Houstonians seem to want only a few things, more square footage, high paying jobs, and somewhere to blow their money. Now not to categorize every citizen, but this is more true than those in Boston, NYC, SF, Chicago etc. in general.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM

1,106 posts, read 849,676 times
Pardon me for this analogy OFTW, but your characterization of Houstonians sounds to me like how some people act after they decide on what religion to follow. I.e, they close their minds to anything that would test their belief.

Not to say that they are not good people at heart. But ... people are not perfect and can let themselves get pulled into forcing themselves and others into paths that don't lead to good things for anyone.

Unfortunately (I think), human beings are prone to falling into that trap over and over again ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston