Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:15 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
How is Dallas far ahead in urban development? Dallas is ahead in TODs, but that's it. Houston just has a larger urban core, so the developments are more spread out. In a few more years, as more developments continue to pop up and as the rail lines in the Inner Loop open up, then they different "urban nodes" will be more connected.

Anyone can look at a map and see that what you saying is false. Houston has a huge grid layout, even outside the city limits and in the unincorporated areas. And the Chronicle is all over Metro Houston. I've seen it everywhere when I lived down there.
We used to get both the DMN & Chronicle here in Tyler even though Dallas is much closer.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:20 AM

157 posts, read 316,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Oh don't flatter yourself dallasboi.

Notice what i said, Dallas's development makes it LOOK more urban but Houston IS more urban.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Do you even think about what you say before you post?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:36 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Do you even think about what you say before you post?
Um... Maybe it seems this way to someone who has a hard time understanding the english language. What's so hard about this concept?

Dallas's urban development makes it "LOOK" aka "APPEAR" more urban by the way things are developing around its core.

Houston simply IS more urban by the multiple employment centers and people already living in place.

I can't spell it out for you anymore than that! Sorry.

Last edited by stoneclaw; 02-20-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
It does amazes me how fast we can build a highway, yet drag our feet on rails. I see two reasons for that. 1. when it comes to rails , there is always some push back ither from the neighborhoods or the bussiness who feel that all the construction will cost them customers(like I say people want them dont want to be inconvinced by them .lol) 2. The city planners themselves most of whom have some kind of connection to construction or re-estate, so they have to way in on if it will effect their profits.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 AM

443 posts, read 1,346,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
It does amazes me how fast we can build a highway, yet drag our feet on rails. I see two reasons for that. 1. when it comes to rails , there is always some push back ither from the neighborhoods or the bussiness who feel that all the construction will cost them customers(like I say people want them dont want to be inconvinced by them .lol)
This same reason applies to major road construction too. Just have a look at the north side of I-10 currently at the Shepherd/Durham intersection. Those businesses on the NW corner have nearly been killed by the ongoing feeder road expansion there.

It's a paradigm shift that's needed in Houston, a realignment of priorities from moving cars efficiently to moving people efficiently. I'm convinced it will happen but it's going to take a good 20 years or more to see it come full circle.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:23 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
This same reason applies to major road construction too. Just have a look at the north side of I-10 currently at the Shepherd/Durham intersection. Those businesses on the NW corner have nearly been killed by the ongoing feeder road expansion there.

It's a paradigm shift that's needed in Houston, a realignment of priorities from moving cars efficiently to moving people efficiently. I'm convinced it will happen but it's going to take a good 20 years or more to see it come full circle.
It sometimes appears that the priority of the COH and TxDot is the contractors, not the citizens or business owners.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
It sometimes appears that the priority of the COH and TxDot is the contractors, not the citizens or business owners.
TxDot can be really bad, not just Houston but anywhere in state. They basically ruined a road in Fort Bend during expansion, cut down all of the trees including a magnificent hundreds year old oak. Put up really ugly sound walls, and left no room for anyone to travel by anything other than a car. Two schools on the road and it's no longer safe for the kids to walk or bike to and from school. This is a case where I wish the county would have intervened for the residents.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Nobody is talking about comparison data. Houston feels more urban by the activity and vibe, but Dallas's development is stronger in its core. Period.

Enuff said.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
You are chitin me, right.
Quote:

Tell me how to get from Bellaire to Baytown avoiding freeways. Show me 3 ways to get from Hobby Airport to Champions without a freeway. Can't take all day, either.

Just look at the discussion regarding to Grand Parkway on CD. Folks here referred to Houston highways as a target.

I was speaking of editorial, not circulation. You know, what the paper covers. Things like news, government, sports. The DMN recognized it's readers lived all over the metroplex. They even put a big office with reporters, etc. in Plano.

The Chronicle has about 20 local sections covering everywhere from the Bay Area to Ft. Bend Co. to the Woodlands.

Can you name 3 ways to get from McKinney to the Dallas zoo without taking a freeway? Why are you afraid of taking the best route? Because it would take all day w/o a freeway.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
There is nothing like a state thomas area in Houston. Dallas had a head start on Houston with TODs. Uptown also has expanded very well. Most of the new urban areas are basically around and in Downtown Dallas. Houston though has the potential to have the larger denser urban area. Houston's homes have always looked more urban to me from the older style homes to the newer sfh. Houston also has more multifamily areas than Dallas under construction. Basically, Dallas multifamily developments basically are in a general area which again is basically in or near its core. Houston scatters them all over the loop plus the galleria in addition to having denser sfh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston