Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:52 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,457 times

Advertisements

Parker moving toward Metro ‘compromise’ - Houston Tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:35 AM

958 posts, read 2,572,789 times
You know if Parker has her way the outlaying cities will not take it laying down. I would assume they will no longer charge their residences the 1% sales taxes in their jurisdiction.

Metro is just going to **** away much of the money on the super expensive light rail.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
You know if Parker has her way the outlaying cities will not take it laying down. I would assume they will no longer charge their residences the 1% sales taxes in their jurisdiction.

Metro is just going to **** away much of the money on the super expensive light rail.
yes so we should wait longer for rail because it will get cheaper ????

Old 07-05-2012, 06:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:

Probably, but atleast it's benefting the city of Houston somewhat as opposed to tollway 99.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:56 AM

108 posts, read 231,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Probably, but atleast it's benefting the city of Houston somewhat as opposed to tollway 99.
What does the city of Houston have to do with Tollway 99? I know the segment south of 1093 to 59 is being funded by Fort Bend County and overseen by the FBGPTRA... nothing about the city of Houston. Can't speak to other segments though, haven't done my homework on those.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:10 AM

312 posts, read 797,448 times
Why is no one even remotely talking about replacing the loss of the METRO road/street money with an alternative that is arguably the most fair way to go about this for all concerned:

A one or two cent increase in the state gasoline tax, statewide, with the additional revenue collected by the state to go towards non-freeway road and street construction/maintenance, distributed to cities and counties on a formula basis.

Yes, I know there is a cap on sales tax in Texas, but as far as I can tell, that does NOT affect the gasoline tax which is an excise tax.

And I wonder if it's even possible for the gas tax increase to be implemented ONLY on a county-by-county basis - but I would think that cities statewide are just as much in need of more money for crumbling and growing street/road infrastructure as Houston is - especially the rural communities in Texas.

If any suburbs secede from METRO because of the loss of road funding alone, they frankly are being stubborn and short-sighted. Why would they throw away access to bus service and possible light rail service because they are mad about not getting street maintenance money?

And if it's just of matter of "how come we don't have a regular, non-park-and-ride, local bus route in our town" all they need to do is submit a proposal, ridership projections, a diagram of the route, etc., and I'm sure METRO will consider it. The suburbs arguably need bus service just as much as the city of Houston does.

Houston is the fifth largest metropolitan area in America, and one of the few compared to its peer areas nationwide where (among other stupidities) the suburbs are largely inaccessible by regular bus to the central city. Unacceptable.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 AM

312 posts, read 797,448 times
Quote:

Houston is the fifth largest metro area in America. And it's totally unacceptable and stupid that we only have a seven-mile starter system eight years after it opened. Many cities have surpassed Houston with light rail systems that have heavy ridership, including Phoenix, Dallas, Los Angeles, St. Louis among others.

It is also unacceptable and stupid that there is no direct light rail link from downtown Houston to either of its major international airports.

We are lagging behind our peer cities nationwide as far as mass transit and that must change NOW.

Not reclaiming as much of those revenues means METRO really does not have a true 1% sales tax - only a 3/4 cent sales tax in effect, with a 1/4 cent road and local highway sales tax that really has nothing to do with transit.

The better way to go would be to allow for the compromise: cap the general mobility payments and let the remainder go to transit. How anyone can not see the fairness in that baffles me, but an even MORE fair way to do this - and one that would arguably give the Houston suburbs and Harris County AND the city of Houston as much, if not more, revenue for street and road construction/repair - would be to increase the state gasoline tax by one or two pennies - VERY affordable to the majority of Texas motorists as we have one of the lowest gas taxes in the nation - and have the state redirect the extra funds exclusively to cities and counties for local, non-freeway roads.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,958,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoderGeek View Post
What does the city of Houston have to do with Tollway 99? I know the segment south of 1093 to 59 is being funded by Fort Bend County and overseen by the FBGPTRA... nothing about the city of Houston. Can't speak to other segments though, haven't done my homework on those.
The tax that Metro imposes goes to general transportation improvements in and around Houston and Harris County. Tollway 99 gets some of this money. There was a discussion about these funds in another thread.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
yes so we should wait longer for rail because it will get cheaper ????
I do not think it is an efficient use of money for mobility 1.6 billion for the light rail expansion not including the "Richmond" line that was supposed to be built on west park... Heck I10 expansion didn't cost that much

Lets also think about this, the vast majority of growth is in the suburbs and surrounding cities NOT Houston proper. Why is it does metro want to take more of the money and spend it on rail where the MAJORITY of the people will barely use. How does this reduce traffic? Also why do we want to give metro more money? Haven't they proved to us that the organization is really poorly managed and tends to over promise and under performs consistently.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmac99 View Post
Why is no one even remotely talking about replacing the loss of the METRO road/street money with an alternative that is arguably the most fair way to go about this for all concerned:

A one or two cent increase in the state gasoline tax, statewide, with the additional revenue collected by the state to go towards non-freeway road and street construction/maintenance, distributed to cities and counties on a formula basis.

Yes, I know there is a cap on sales tax in Texas, but as far as I can tell, that does NOT affect the gasoline tax which is an excise tax.

And I wonder if it's even possible for the gas tax increase to be implemented ONLY on a county-by-county basis - but I would think that cities statewide are just as much in need of more money for crumbling and growing street/road infrastructure as Houston is - especially the rural communities in Texas.

If any suburbs secede from METRO because of the loss of road funding alone, they frankly are being stubborn and short-sighted. Why would they throw away access to bus service and possible light rail service because they are mad about not getting street maintenance money?

And if it's just of matter of "how come we don't have a regular, non-park-and-ride, local bus route in our town" all they need to do is submit a proposal, ridership projections, a diagram of the route, etc., and I'm sure METRO will consider it. The suburbs arguably need bus service just as much as the city of Houston does.

Houston is the fifth largest metropolitan area in America, and one of the few compared to its peer areas nationwide where (among other stupidities) the suburbs are largely inaccessible by regular bus to the central city. Unacceptable.
Which is why she is seeking a compomise it may be asking for a split found indpendent of the metro could be the only viable choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston