U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,973 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your input, I can use all the help I can get. We are relocating because of my husbands work; they are moving to the Woodlands. Believe me...if I could stay in my little N. Cal town , I would! That being said, I want to make the most informed choice possible on buying a house. We did go out for a long weekend and explore the area with a real estate agent. I definately saw some rural areas that we wouldn't want to live near but also some that were quite nice. The area away from town around FM 1484 and Willis Waukegan seem nice. Any input about this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM

9,958 posts, read 7,312,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal girl View Post
Thank you all for your input, I can use all the help I can get. We are relocating because of my husbands work; they are moving to the Woodlands. Believe me...if I could stay in my little N. Cal town , I would! That being said, I want to make the most informed choice possible on buying a house. We did go out for a long weekend and explore the area with a real estate agent. I definately saw some rural areas that we wouldn't want to live near but also some that were quite nice. The area away from town around FM 1484 and Willis Waukegan seem nice. Any input about this area?
That's within 30 miles of my property, where did you specifically look?

You're looking in an area that's stuck between Willis and Conroe with a pretty wide mix of good/not so good properties depending on the area. You're really close to the Montgomery County Airport but it's a very small executive airport so you'll very rarely hear or see anything but small corp. jets once or twice a week, nothing like a commercial airport.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM

14,806 posts, read 18,801,729 times
I just know restaurants,
I like Vernon's Kuntry Cat Fish, taqueria Jalisco, I had "Margarita's" fish tacos and were extremely good and Conroe just got a Freebirds.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:58 AM

17 posts, read 111,881 times
Wow, you do know there's a huge difference between "The Woodlands" and Conroe, right?
(When you say "The Woodlands", it's expected you will point your nose up in the air)

"The Woodlands" is an exclusive, elite area north of Houston where houses run in the 300K-1Million range.
Conroe is about 10 miles north of there and about 1/6th the price for homes.

Restaurants in The Woodlands are like Jasper's - Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar - Landry's Restaurant - Kirby's Steakhouse, where dinner for six can set you back 1K plus easy.

Conroe is more like Texas Roadhouse - Babin's Seafood House - Outback and the like where prices are in the affordable range.

Don't get me wrong, I like Conroe better than "The Woodlands", in fact I'm headed there next week to scout out buildings to move my company there later this year.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,090 times
Other than the Woodlands and besides the mall,is there anything to do for fun? Im used to hanging out at Montrose and the Heights area and im not to familiar with that area of town besides the waterway.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:53 PM

4 posts, read 4,687 times
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods with acreage just north of The Woodlands. The areas are located in the cities of Conroe, Magnolia or Montgomery depending on where they are located. These neighborhoods are not trashy but rather areas where you can get land, a nice home and sometimes a lake or pond. Some of the neighborhoods are gated.

Where you can choose a home will be depend on the commute to work. Some of the areas can be a little remote but you don't have to go too far out to get an 1+ acre of land. I'm a Realtor in the area and will be happy to help you find a home or answer any questions you may have about the area.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,687 times
I just read the post that you looked at homes already with a Realtor. So sorry, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

I have friends that live in the northern California area and I know there are a lot of you relocating to this area because I just helped someone buy a home in The Woodlands from the Sacramento area. From the people I know from that area, I'm not so sure you would be happy in the 1484/Willis-Waukegan area.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:16 AM

2,691 posts, read 3,781,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin' Out of Cali View Post
Wow, you do know there's a huge difference between "The Woodlands" and Conroe, right?
(When you say "The Woodlands", it's expected you will point your nose up in the air)

"The Woodlands" is an exclusive, elite area north of Houston where houses run in the 300K-1Million range.

Restaurants in The Woodlands are like Jasper's - Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar - Landry's Restaurant - Kirby's Steakhouse, where dinner for six can set you back 1K plus easy.

Conroe is more like Texas Roadhouse - Babin's Seafood House - Outback and the like where prices are in the affordable range.

Don't get me wrong, I like Conroe better than "The Woodlands", in fact I'm headed there next week to scout out buildings to move my company there later this year.
OP knows that I think. She wants country so she can have chickens so obviously anyone who's been through the Woodlands know that's not the area you want. You want country you go north - Willis, Conroe, etc.

The Woodlands can be snobby but let's not act like it's the only place in Houston like that.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:48 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,774,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettin' Out of Cali View Post

Wow. It's very obvious you don't live in the woodlands. Your response is typical of ones who don't. My house is much less than $300,000 and the people here are not snooty. The only people who dislike the woodlands are the one who don't live here.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,467,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Wow. It's very obvious you don't live in the woodlands. Your response is typical of ones who don't. My house is much less than $300,000 and the people here are not snooty. The only people who dislike the woodlands are the one who don't live here.
Obviously. The people who live there live there for a reason. They don't want to slum it with us normal people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or